Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up sky broadband with TP-link w8960n

This is a discussion on Setting up sky broadband with TP-link w8960n within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i have been trying to set up my sky broadband with a tp-link router. I know this is "against ...

jam153 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01258
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Setting up sky broadband with TP-link w8960n

Hi, i have been trying to set up my sky broadband with a tp-link router. I know this is "against the t&cs" but to get a signal around my house i NEED this router to work.
      Here is my situation :
      At first i logged into my old sky router and found the login info there
      connection type: MER... my ip, gateway, subnetmask, dns etc (i set vci to 40). After doing this the router connected me to the internet. About 3 hours later i got disconnected and i could not get the damn thing to connect again.

I did some research online and found out that it is nearly impossible to connect to sky bb on MER and we should use PPPOA. Now this made me think how did i manage to actually get connected to sky broadband on mer in the first place and then why the hell did it disconnect me? I tried using PPPOA with these settings.
      Connection type: PPPOA
      VCP/VCI 0/38
      username and password: extracted using an online username and password thing which takes it from your mac address.

I am now out of ideas on how to get this damn thing to connect, could anyone tell me if i'm missing something or if it's just not going to happen!
      Thanks for reading.
      p.s my knowlege on this stuff is low

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Setting up sky broadband with TP-link w8960n

It's good that you managed to find most of the information on your own. Double check the username and password you generated. There's a good chance you got it wrong.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Setting up sky broadband with TP-link w8960n

connection type: MER... my ip, gateway, subnetmask, dns etc (i set vci to 40). After doing this the router connected me to the internet. About 3 hours later i got disconnected and i could not get the damn thing to connect again.
      Did you notice if your IP address had changed? Some have managed to use this method to connect but the weakness is that if your IP changes, you are kicked off and have to reconnect using the new IP. To get this you have to log back on with the Sky router get the address and put it into your new one. For this reason most find that using PPPoA is more convenient.

Your PPPoA settings look OK provided you are selecting to receive the IP from the ISP and are using VC or VC-MUX for multiplexing. Set MTU to 1500.

Is the router giving any reason why it will not connect?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.