Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Speed STILL Dropping After BT Visit!

This is a discussion on Speed STILL Dropping After BT Visit! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by DoctorGore Is it faster because they're trying to make up for the interruption the weather is causing? ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed STILL Dropping After BT Visit!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGore View Post
      Is it faster because they're trying to make up for the interruption the weather is causing?
      lol. This better be a joke.

Oh, and would DLM help now? Since my line appears to be more stable on G.DMT?
      DLM works best on good lines. If they run DLM on your line you will probably find yourself capped to a very low speed within a few days.

Regarding your speed; lower your expectations a little. You are aiming too high.

2. Advertisement
      DoctorGore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      lol. This better be a joke.

DLM works best on good lines. If they run DLM on your line you will probably find yourself capped to a very low speed within a few days.

Regarding your speed; lower your expectations a little. You are aiming too high.
      It was a joke? why has it suddenly jumped up 100kbps?

I know, but I spend a lot of time on the net so any improvement is welcome. I wonder if BT will run fibre optic over the two miles to get to my house...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

It was a joke? why has it suddenly jumped up 100kbps?
      In reality that's 8kB/s. An improvement that you would hardly notice.

Unless you are capped you should get a different sync every time you restart your router. The speed sync is a speed that the router was able to negotiate at a certain point in time from the exchange. It will vary with the amount of noise on the line.If your router is negotiating a sync at a time when you get a sudden spike in noise then your sync speed will fall down to a low figure like the 256kbps you got. Similarly if while negotiating a sync the noise level on your line goes down suddenly you could end up with a sync of more then 2000kbps.

Sky's equipment is not SRA (seamless rate adaptation) capable (or enabled). Basically what this means is that your speed does not improve or deteriorate according to the amount of noise on your line in a real time scenario.

Your router stats suggest that you are loosing sync to the exchange too often. This could be down to the fact that too much data is being pushed down your line. If you leave your router idle you will probably notice that it does not loose sync that often. But as soon as you start downloading stuff it gives in. Think of your line as a thin electrical wire that gets too warm when it's used for too long.

Sometimes routers can help improve syncs and stability. I don't know if you've been asked this before but what router are you using? It will be great if you can conduct a trace route to bbc.co.uk and copy paste your results here too.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky's equipment is not SRA (seamless rate adaptation) capable (or enabled). Basically what this means is that your speed does not improve or deteriorate according to the amount of noise on your line in a real time scenario.
      Recently there have been reports of speeds rising and falling without a resync so I think SRA is enable on some lines. It was always understood that Sky did not use SRA, but that may now not be the case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12