Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unearthed plug affecting broadband?

This is a discussion on Unearthed plug affecting broadband? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks Malcolm, do you feel they just might be stalling to get me over the 2 month period? How does ...

wolfie_tc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Unearthed plug affecting broadband?

Thanks Malcolm, do you feel they just might be stalling to get me over the 2 month period?
      How does it work with leaving within that time for free if they can't get my minimum speed, they tell me the line can physically get 2.2mb but they most I have got is 1.8, will they tell me that I can't leave because according to them I can get the minimum speed?

Also as far as I know they have looked at every other reasoning it could be, but there must be a problem otherwise when I phone up and say 'i'm getting speeds of 1.4mb' they would say that its normal for that area as opposed to agreeing with me if there is a problem.

Our electrics are getting sorted out next week, so i supposed after that point they will have no excuses left!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I cant see how an unearthed socket ( I assume you mean socket as you say nothing is plugged into it ) would have any effect on your broadband and it seems Malc agrees.

Its not the safest thing to have though so best get it sorted as you seem to be doing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When the faceplate of the master in removed are any other sockets you have without dial tone?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I don't have any other phone sockets except for the old Virgin one from the guys that lived there before, that has no dial tone in it though, which was another thing they thought might have affected it.
      The electrics are being sorted tomorrow but could take a few days as a whole rewire of the property is needed and then Sky say it'll then take the 10 days probation period to get up to speed again but if it's not improved it withing 2 days (which by the sounds of your advice it won't..) then I'm phoning up and moving to anyone else as this internet is terrible.

The weird thing is, i've lived in a house with 1.5mb/s and could easily watch a video on youtube whilst uploading a video to vimeo and browse the net with no problem at all, here with a connection of 1.8mb/s if i'm waiting for a video to load on youtube I've got no chance whatsoever of doing some internet browsing.

Thanks for all the help.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie_tc View Post
      ...then Sky say it'll then take the 10 days probation period to get up to speed again...
      What a lot of rubbish.

Once the initial Training Period for DLM has completed, customer support at Sky is free to manually configure your line.

However, there are a number of first-line support staff who really don't know what they are doing, nor the tools available to some of their colleagues.

When you next call, if you get through to someone who cannot manually configure your line or pass you to someone who can, just hang-up and call again.

When they have completed it, post the connection stats up here so that people can check that you have a good result. A frequent mistake that people make is to forget to configure the upstream connection as well and often people are left with a great download speed and not able to do anything on the upload connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK great thanks, what do you mean by manual configure? Or if I just tell them to do that then they'll know what I mean?
      So then when the electrics are done, if by some miracle Sky are telling the truth, the speed should shoot up automatically. I've got no reason to believe that they lied to me about the connection estimate they gave me as I know someone who had the same estimate as me, they got hooked up yesterday and was already up to 3mb within 2 hours, I just think they have no idea whats wrong and are just passing the buck to me.
      I am a music video director and so have to upload a lot of videos, either to a video site or send to someone so a good upload speed is essential but I don't actually understand how to improve an upload speed so thanks for that little bit of advice, shall definitely need it.

Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Let's see how things pan out when you get the electrics fixed. I doubt if you will see any difference, but you never know, I have seen cases where a dodgy PSU on a PC caused problems with the broadband. With a half decent line you should get 4-6Mb, if you don't, the line or possibly the exchange equipment is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12