Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sick of being messed about,

This is a discussion on sick of being messed about, within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; so... were do i start....sorry its long, but here goes had sky coming up two years in December. have nearly ...

matkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732 7oaks
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sick of being messed about,

so... were do i start....sorry its long, but here goes

had sky coming up two years in December. have nearly full package sky (which is minus sports/movies) plus skyhd, unlimited broadband and all calls on the phone, never missed one payment...EVER
      so its safe to say im a valuable customer, who will pay on time every time. will put up with bad internet, for some time before calling up.

so how come sky don't see this opertunaty to keep there customer (or customers as im not the only disgruntled person with sky) and even square faced telling them im going to move to bt as im sick im argued with and then pretends to put me on to get some one else and im disconnected roughly 30 seconds later

so lets start from the start my phone line gets disconnected, but still getting broad band, 5 months numerous calls they all dont understand how im getting broadband all the time im still charged, so finally sorted, happy, for now.

then they start taking direct debits out 5 days eairly. 4 months in a row. had to endure the cost of the 0844 charge every time, including the 5 months above.
      to be told sorry your get your bank charge back immedlty to your next bill, (ok so that dont help me currently does it!) so in the end i took matters in to my own hands, and found the change payment method to card payment, to which im now charged 2.50 admin fee. no worries i can accept that to not be messed about, so happy again in a funny sort of way

so now broad band is disconnecting at random times, getting 400 and 404 errors, and a sky router can not detect a broadband connection, so this has been going on 6 weeks, second time i ring up i get the normal crap, check this check that, and suggested it was a adsl filter.checked my line and threw my broadband out for hours.
      so i buy a new adsl filter, as i couldn't wait the days it would take plus borrow 3 very fully working filters from my dad, brand new in wrappers. all the same slowing connection, some time 414kbps! called them once more and no help really, and the same bull, told to wait for the sky filter.

so it turns up, and with a up and down connection, it works okish for a week. till today were it has disconnected 4 times already and 3 more times since i started writing this. maybe 5 minutes,

so today i call. get told its my handset causing noise on the line, but i say i dont have it connected and i get bad connection, she understands but its my handset.
      i continue to explain how can it be my handset if its not connected unless i call YOU! i have a 3 contract, thouands of minutes and texts, i have no need for a house phone!

so this went round 5 times, i said you clearly dont understand i wish to talk to some one higher then you. so she goes off with out a word, on hold, 30 seconds later, im dissconnected, now call me a snob but i distest being hung up on, she may as well told me to ****** off for what its worth,

so i call again, FINALLY some one helpful, explained the whole situation, she read the last notes, and the notes read, she explained it was a handset fault to which i was unhappy with, which i tried to explain which was not understood.... and that was it, no he was transferred, he was stating im going to leave sky and that i requested a supervisor or manager.

any way back to the current phone call, she escalated it to tier two, i asked for the previous name but got told there was no name just a sky id ( sto87 ), which was strange to me... any way we will see within 72 hours, but i am adiment now, im prepared to go back to bt for tha extra cost but i know im not going to be treated like s**t

so can some tell me im wrong and this is acceptable, because i don't.....

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: sick of being messed about,

can no one comment?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Post your stats and we will see if there is anything obvious causing your problems -
      How to get your router statistics

and from your Test socket.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Please use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

my adsl filter has been in the test socket for months, long before any problems started

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 11:40:11
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 10528 23983 0 2120770 18681422 0:52:25
      LAN Up 6975 1638 0 1492273 214930 11:40:11
      WLAN Up 34915 29335 0 21387910 4729355 11:39:52
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 864 kbps 513 kbps
      Line Attenuation 64.0 dB 41.3 dB
      Noise Margin 3.7 dB 6.4 dB
      Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

Thanks

You have a very long line, which is probably the cause of your problems. Looking at your noise margin your connection is about to drop again.

Call Sky, use your mobile so they can't say your handset is causing the problem, ask them to switch your line to G.DMT. This is basic ADSL which often performs better on long lines such as yours. ADSL2+, which you are on, requires double the bandwidth of G.DMT this means that any problem on the higher frequency is amplified, causing excessive noise on the line.

Can you confirm that you are using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky, plug in telephone extensions can cause many problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can you specifically hear noise on the telephone line?

Thanks

using all sky equipment

this is another status

System Up Time: 0:09:17
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 2309 3480 0 196833 4110583 0:08:33
      LAN Up 4767 3308 0 4692549 386183 0:09:17
      WLAN Up 451 345 0 64493 46575 0:00:04
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 127 kbps 124 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.0 dB 41.0 dB
      Noise Margin 15.2 dB 16.0 dB

ive rung them but there unwilling to help

thing is ive had this phone line 6 years, it was repaced to the telegrah pole to my master socket around a 2 years ago, nothing has been a problem till now

@user05, well noise comes and goes, the line is dead quite but noise will onset and get so loud i can barley hear the other person, and there voice actually becomes fuzzy, rather then noise over there voice.
      Last edited by matkey; 15-10-11 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks

Reboot with the high noise margin and your speed will go up. Until you can get them to do something about the noise on the line, you are not really going to get anywhere, but if you call them and ask to be put on G.DMT, it may improve.
      Last edited by Isitme; 15-10-11 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Yer. But i dont inderstNd how ive had 2g connection for ages. But now its a problem.
      Could it be the router its self? If it is the line why now. Ive got nothing diffrent unless its got something to do with bt infinity? As theyve just had that installed in my area?

Thanks

All phone lines are susceptible to faults, if they were not, many BTO engineers would be out of a job. Your mention of Infinity is interesting, there are quite a few who have reported a drop in their performance since it was installed in their area. Whether this is due to the lines being disturbed by the work being done, or some other reason, I don't know.

It could be the router, but as you have a fairly new one, that is unlikely. You must have had this as a replacement, do you still have the old one? If so, try it and see if it makes a difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast