Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband Activation - comedy of errors

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Activation - comedy of errors within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So my story is this ... I signed up for Sky (TV, broadband, phone), with everything to go live last ...

olddairy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smile Sky Broadband Activation - comedy of errors

So my story is this ... I signed up for Sky (TV, broadband, phone), with everything to go live last week . Well I have a working phone line now, and as far as TV goes am waiting for the 2nd viewing card to be dispatched to me (and if that doesnt arrive tomorrow we are going for the 3rd viewing card!!).

Now broadband is a complete mess due to Sky's incompetence. Was due to be active last week. Sky engineer came over said nothing - called Sky, was told "oh it should be another 2 weeks, maybe 1 if you're lucky". Vague excuse given of delays getting activation scheduled at the exchange.

So a week passes .. nothing. Call back again .. first person said there some technical issues should be another couple of weeks, asked to be put through to back office and hung up on (I will assume they just dont know how to forward calls on properly). Not satisfied so called back again - second person told me that there was no date for activation as the order was never provisioned in the first place and it would need reprovisioning. Anyway this didnt happen as I also got cut off again. Call again .. third person - we need to back out your entire broadband order first as it is stuck in a state where it cant go to a provisioned status, which will take 3 working days, and then we need to redo the entire broadband order and go back to step 1 again with all the normal waits. Apparently this was down to a system issue, not down to human error. And get this, noone will tell the accounts team that they have backed out the order, one of the guys essentially has to put a post-it note on his monitor so he can remember to check my account to see if it still has broadband on it, and if not then call me to go through all the terms and conditions again to order broadband for me.

Of course having been let down like this you would think I might get prioritised but no, back to the end of the queue for you with everyone else. And in the meantime I am burning money on slow mobile internet.

So basically what this tells me is this (1) Sky have poor IT systems prone to error, (2) they have clunky manual processes for dealing with the faults of these IT systems and (3) they couldnt give a fig about sorting these problems quickly and making up for their poor service. Honestly how many billions of pounds of profit does this company make, and they cant even sort out these simple bread and butter issues?

Sorely tempted now to get broadband elsewhere as they will be removing it from my account, nothing to tie them to me now, and besides what's to guarantee they wont mess it up again, no confidence in them whatsoever. I pay my line rental thru Sky, but I can get any broadband that works on a BT line, right? And does anyone know will I need to return the router, I imagine they wont be tracking this either.......

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Activation - comedy of errors

Broadband can't be ordered until the line is active, if you were told otherwise then that information was wrong
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

olddairy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No the order was taken over 3 weeks ago and I got the router a couple of days after, and an email telling me my activation date had been mailed to me separately (never received that mail, along with the viewing cards)..its possible the line was active before as I never checked but unlikely as noone lived at the property for over a year prior to me moving in

Also just remembered they never sent me the M&S voucher as part of the signing up deal .. yet another thing I have to chase them up for..
      Last edited by olddairy; 13-10-11 at 04:18 PM.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Phone & broadband will go active simultaneously if it's an SVBN line. If not, in many cases they can be ordered at the same time and the broadband order is queued until the line goes active.