Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Getting throttled..

This is a discussion on Getting throttled.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I have had sky for a few months and have generally been happy. For the past week during the ...

angrybadger is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Getting throttled..

I have had sky for a few months and have generally been happy. For the past week during the weekend and evenings my broadband ground to a halt. I called sky and they said..

BT may have traffic managed me, Sky has nothing to do with it and can do nothing.
      Sky has no other packages it can offer me.
      Sky cannot tell me for certain if I have been traffic managed, they think thats the problem because I have 3 pcs pretty much on all day and they can't tell me how long it will last.

In the past few weeks, the direct downloads has been around 1gb, there is rarely streaming and its never for more than a few minutes of radio or bbc player.

My household genuinely relies on the internet for so many things and this is becoming a real problem.

How can I tell if I am being traffic managed, is there anything I can do to resolve it now / in future ? Any idea if other packages (even out with sky) would help ?

Thanks !

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Getting throttled..

From what you are suggesting you are on Sky Broadband Connect. Essentially if you download more than 1.3Gb a day for around a week, you end up getting capped to dial up speeds.

By all means post your connection stats from the router and also can you confirm that you are using the Master Socket please?

Could you also connect your PC to the router with an Ethernet cable (if this is not already the case) and run some speed tests from this site. It would be useful to do this in 'Safe Mode' as some background software of nasties may affect the results.

Feel welcome to run a few tests with an Ethernet cable from this site: BT Openworld

Do them at different times of the day and keep a record of their results. Again do some tests in 'Safe Mode' to ensure that no untoward software is affecting the results. The BT tester is the only one that Sky will recognise in respect of issues with the Connect package.

In the mean time take a look at SamKnows and see what is available for your exchange.

What you are looking for is which LLU Operators have a presence in your exchange. Also take a look to see whether you have any of the following available or planned:

• ADSL
      • ADSL Max
      • 21CN
      • FTTC

Post the results or copy & paste the link to your exchange and we can offer some suggestions on what you may wish to do in the long term.

Finally take a good read of the thread below as it discusses many of the issues with the Connect product:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms