Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Need Help Finding Broadband Problem!

This is a discussion on Need Help Finding Broadband Problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The space required for Anytime will sort it self out. You don't need to do anything about this. One thing ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Need Help Finding Broadband Problem!

The space required for Anytime will sort it self out. You don't need to do anything about this.

One thing that confuses people is whether or not to add a 2nd partition, this is not required.

From my understanding the following logic can be applied to the DRX890:

A single 500GB hard drive is formatted to 465GB
      Anytime reserves 215GB
      The remaining 250GB is reserved for your recordings

With a 2TB drive it is formated to 1862GB
      215GB is reserved for Anytime
      The remaining 1647GB is reserved for your recordings
      or 6.588 times more recordings than the standard drive supplied

If you were to perform a system rebuild (not to be confused with a Planner Rebuild) the the 2TB drive will be formatted to 1TB (or 931GB). This would leave 716GB for your recordings or 2.864 times more than your have at the moment.

For those who have a DRX895 a slightly different formulae is required.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      DoctorGore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The space required for Anytime will sort it self out. You don't need to do anything about this.

One thing that confuses people is whether or not to add a 2nd partition, this is not required.

From my understanding the following logic can be applied to the DRX890:

A single 500GB hard drive is formatted to 465GB
      Anytime reserves 215GB
      The remaining 250GB is reserved for your recordings

With a 2TB drive it is formated to 1862GB
      215GB is reserved for Anytime
      The remaining 1647GB is reserved for your recordings
      or 6.588 times more recordings than the standard drive supplied

If you were to perform a system rebuild (not to be confused with a Planner Rebuild) the the 2TB drive will be formatted to 1TB (or 931GB). This would leave 716GB for your recordings or 2.864 times more than your have at the moment.

For those who have a DRX895 a slightly different formulae is required.
      Thanks for the info. My mum will be happy about not having to worry about deleting things lol. When would I need to do a system rebuild?

Back on the broadband side of things, just moved the router back next to the Master Socket and used a short ADSL cable. Here are the stats;

System Up Time: 00:08:15
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1742 2261 0 642 5039 00:07:48
      LAN 100M/Full 2779 2382 0 5131 919 00:08:10
      WLAN 11M/54M 132 0 0 25 0 00:07:57
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 378 kbps 413 kbps
      Line Attenuation 67 db 46 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 12 db

I'm guessing that I'm on ADSL or ADSL2 speeds now then?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm guessing that I'm on ADSL or ADSL2 speeds now then?
      ADSL2+. When you are using the extension the connection is so bad the router cannot negotiate a sync with the exchange and uses G.DMT.

You master looks OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGore View Post
      Thanks for the info. My mum will be happy about not having to worry about deleting things lol.
      Thankfully the Sky planner combines series into one tab, otherwise you could find yourself scrolling through pages of soaps.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGore View Post
      When would I need to do a system rebuild?
      It is one of the recovery procedures when a STB fails.

A System Rebuild wipes everything on the hard drive.

A Planner Rebuild is another recovery tool that does not destroy all the contents, and is similar to performing a defrag on the drive.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Yes, all the wires are connected in the layout you listed. And yes, there is a green wire with white bands coming from the white cable (Junction Box to Master Socket) which is plugged into the last terminal.
      In which case disconnect the green wire with white bands as it shouldn't be there.
      It may not increase your speed but it won't help it.

Your line is the orange pair of wires in the white cable and your neighbour's is the blue pair which have been looped through in the back of your NTE5 (using the two tablet-sized crimps).

As I said before be very careful if you repair that junction box as BT Openreach would take a very dim view if you cut off your neighbour's phone.

Any update on what Sky estimated your speed would be?

Andy

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well since the Master Socket it seemingly ok, I have a little plan.

1. Get engineer to check line (will they check it all the way from the pole outside to the Master Socket?)
      2. Buy a filtered faceplate (undecided on which, though)
      3. Move router to Master Socket, use short ADSL cable
      4. Get Sky to start DLM?

Sound right?

@Scubbie Haha great. We still have the old EPG, which hasn't even got a season reminder.

@AndyJG Was that wire ever needed then? Our friend that fixed in said he used a photo to do it..

So I rang Sky today, got through to the first level of customer service. It sounded like she was reading off a piece of paper, and it was even worse when I figured out that I knew more about this stuff than her lol. But nevertheless, she put me through to CST (I think?) or the level above. The woman I spoke to there was much more helpful, and after running a line test, she suggested a BT engineer come out to have a look.

Now, here's the problem. We broke the junction box, and fixed it (properly or not). It's BT's property. Say they figure out that it was just that one wire causing the problems, or the box itself as it is, and nothing else. We'll get charged, right?
      But say it's the box and something else on their side, what will happen then? Less of a charge?

How should I have my stuff set up when they come? It's currently;
      Dangly microfilter plugged DIRECTLY into Test Socket. Then the wireless phones plugged in on the phone side, and router plugged in on the modem side (using the supplied cable by Sky, I think anyway). Then homeplugs to connect to my pc.

If there's any way we can avoid paying the full charge of up to 160, please let me know!

Thanks

I've already mentioned that you need to play it nicely when the BTO Engineer arrives. If it was like that when BTO moved you to Sky, then they really should have spotted it and cleaned it up.

I would also politely remind them that the dog damaged it and whilst she isn't trained to attack BTO Junction boxes, it really could have been placed in a location where she could not have sunk her teeth into it. Also ask him if he's missing his mobile, because it looks like she's guarding it in her basket for him.

As for positioning the router, I always try to recommend that the Master Socket is used, preferably with a Filtered Faceplate now. It reduces so many issues and lasts much longer than normal microfilters.

If you prefer, look at getting a length of Cat 5e Ethernet cable to run from the router to where the PC is. You might be able to run a length through the wall and fit a faceplate near to the computer. I can imagine you lovely dog trying to gnaw at one of them since she seems to be attracted to electrical things and also her hairs might clog it up and prevent it from cooling.

If you need multiple LAN points in a different location, then consider a Network Switch. A 5-Port switch would offer 4 ports (one would be connected to the router) for any device, including the Sky+ HD STB, Internet ready TV or NAS.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@Scubbie Haha, I'll mention it. Well it's actually a few feet above the ground. I think she pulled the phone down from the same spot which somehow broke the box. Maybe it was poorly done in the first place? I think I'm going to take extra measures to make sure she can't destroy anything.

Thanks for the info, but I meant how should I have it set up when the engineer comes? I know not to use the extension cable anymore.

As for my set up after the engineer hopefully sorts stuff out on their side, I'm going to leave the router next to the Master Socket. How long before the cable length matters? I want to put the router on the draws next to the Master Socket but I don't think the standard cable with be long enough, because I'll need to secure the cable to the wall to protect it from my dog lol. Would this be fine?
      Clarity*::*Network*and...
      I'd get the 2.1m one, which would be enough.

There also seems to be a lot of different filtered faceplates. Can anyone recommend one?

@AndyJG I forgot to add this earlier, I found out our estimated speed when we joined Sky was 2MB.

Thanks

Personally speaking I would not recommend any further extension to your telephone line before the router.

You have a long telephone line already and any further length of cable would IMHO make this worse.

A 5-Port Network switch can be bought for under 5.

A Cat 5e cable costs well under 1 per metre at present. A 10m cable can be purchased for under 5.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, I'll try to make do with the supplied cable. Would a long ethenet cable be better than homeplugs? The wiring in my house is about 20 years old.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast