Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Need Help Finding Broadband Problem!

This is a discussion on Need Help Finding Broadband Problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ADSL Broadband requires a good solid telephone line all the way back to the equipment in your telephone exchange. The ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Need Help Finding Broadband Problem!

ADSL Broadband requires a good solid telephone line all the way back to the equipment in your telephone exchange.

The crackling indicates that your line has a fault.

If you plug a corded telephone into the test socket, dial '1' and listen carefully (note: no router or microfilter required) for any noise. If you still hear any crackling or his, then Call Sky as they are your line provider.

Explain the situation and I am sure that they will arrange for BTO to repair your line.

Until this has been fixed, any further work to improve your connection speed is pointless.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      DoctorGore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      ADSL Broadband requires a good solid telephone line all the way back to the equipment in your telephone exchange.

The crackling indicates that your line has a fault.

If you plug a corded telephone into the test socket, dial '1' and listen carefully (note: no router or microfilter required) for any noise. If you still hear any crackling or his, then Call Sky as they are your line provider.

Explain the situation and I am sure that they will arrange for BTO to repair your line.

Until this has been fixed, any further work to improve your connection speed is pointless.
      Just tried a really old corded phone plugged directly into the test socket. Dialed 1, no noise at all. Got my mum to ring it off her mobile, no noise at all. So it must be our cordless phones that are playing up. My mum said she's never changed the rechargeable batteries in them. So maybe we can try that. Although, what does this mean in terms of my connection being so bad? :/

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGore View Post
      Although, what does this mean in terms of my connection being so bad? :/
      If you don't get crackling with the corded phone there probably isn't a line fault.

Cores = individual wires in a cable.
      However I can see from your second set of photos that the colours are as I suggested.

Can you confirm that that chocolate block connector is wired as below going from top to bottom with the first colours being the incoming cable and the second the cable going to your NTE5.

green -- white with blue bands
      white -- white with orange bands
      black -- blue with white bands
      orange -- orange with white bands

There is also a green wire with white bands which appears to connect into the bottom terminal.
      Is that correct or is it just a trick of the photo?

There are some very strange things going on.
      Comparing your stats you have moved to the test socket and you line attenuations have gone up.
      You would normally expect the attenuation to go down.
      But your speed has gone up and there is a healthy noise margin so that looks promising.

You appear to be in a rural area and from that attenuation a long way from the exchange.
      What speed did Sky estimate you could get when you signed up?
      It's late and I can't be bother to check but I think it tells you in the Broadband section of My Sky.

The other two are connected via the mains with a weird looking rj11 cable to mains adaptor
      Don't understand that but the first thing is that they should be connected to the phone side of a microfilter.
      While we're on I take it that your Sky box/boxes are all fed through microfilters.

Don't worry too much about DLM if that attenuation figure is correct your line will probably get best results by being manually configured.

As Isitme asked if you can unscrew the back part of your NTE5 and give us a picture of the wiring inside it would be helpful.
      It looks like a reasonable job as the cables have been cable-tied which you don't see very often.

I'm still bemused as to why your neighbour's line comes through your house (if it does) when your first photo shows one line from the pole to you and one to him (or her).

Andy

Thanks

Just tried a really old corded phone plugged directly into the test socket. Dialed 1, no noise at all. Got my mum to ring it off her mobile, no noise at all. So it must be our cordless phones that are playing up. My mum said she's never changed the rechargeable batteries in them. So maybe we can try that. Although, what does this mean in terms of my connection being so bad? :/
      You've just shown clearly why we always ask that the quiet line test be performed with a corded telephone.

Wireless telephones can pick up or introduce noise without you realising it. They can also make it quiet when there should be a little noise. Whether your particular handsets are past their best or not I can't say as there are too many factors and I wouldn't necessarily know anything about the handset that you have.

As for the batteries, normally a good sign that these should be changed is when one handset doesn't hold it's charge as long as it used to (i.e. for a long conversation). I would not have thought that the batteries would cause any clicking noise.

Going back to your line stats, is there any chance that you can get the stats from your neighbour's connection? It might be very useful to compare them to confirm if there is a potential issue.

At this stage I still believe that someone should come out and take a look at your telephone line, but it would help to see if there will be any significant benefit to them visiting.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      If you don't get crackling with the corded phone there probably isn't a line fault.

Cores = individual wires in a cable.
      However I can see from your second set of photos that the colours are as I suggested.

Can you confirm that that chocolate block connector is wired as below going from top to bottom with the first colours being the incoming cable and the second the cable going to your NTE5.

green -- white with blue bands
      white -- white with orange bands
      black -- blue with white bands
      orange -- orange with white bands

There is also a green wire with white bands which appears to connect into the bottom terminal.
      Is that correct or is it just a trick of the photo?

There are some very strange things going on.
      Comparing your stats you have moved to the test socket and you line attenuations have gone up.
      You would normally expect the attenuation to go down.
      But your speed has gone up and there is a healthy noise margin so that looks promising.

You appear to be in a rural area and from that attenuation a long way from the exchange.
      What speed did Sky estimate you could get when you signed up?
      It's late and I can't be bother to check but I think it tells you in the Broadband section of My Sky.

Don't understand that but the first thing is that they should be connected to the phone side of a microfilter.
      While we're on I take it that your Sky box/boxes are all fed through microfilters.

Don't worry too much about DLM if that attenuation figure is correct your line will probably get best results by being manually configured.

As Isitme asked if you can unscrew the back part of your NTE5 and give us a picture of the wiring inside it would be helpful.
      It looks like a reasonable job as the cables have been cable-tied which you don't see very often.

I'm still bemused as to why your neighbour's line comes through your house (if it does) when your first photo shows one line from the pole to you and one to him (or her).

Andy
      I'll check the wires when I get home tonight.

I've noticed some weird figures with regards to my attenuation and noise margin. Such as, the attenuation was higher when I got 1.4MB, and was lower when I had 0.1MB. Or is that because the line was more stable with a lower speed?

Yes we are a few miles from the next houses, but even they could be considered rural too. The exchange is actually only 2.1km or so from our house (over the mountain) but the cable has to travel about 5km I think.

Well our current Sky+ box is connected to the two cables that go to the dish, but it isn't connected to the phone line. I thought that was only for Interactive Services? We currently have a HD box (DRX 890, I think) that we got off a friend, so we'll be using that instead once we watch all our recorded programs. I don't want to go off topic, but is using a HD box I didn't buy off Sky directly legal? I won't be getting the HD Pack yet but I was thinking of using Sky Anytime.

Well since I've unplugged the router to test stuff, DLM has stopped, so I'll be happy to take a picture with the back off when I get home.

I think I know why my neighbours line comes through ours. The house used to be rented as one. Now it's split in two. Instead of putting a brand new line in, they just got one off the Junction box in my side of house. The other line is only used for my landlords landline, which is in a box outside of the house. I think that was the original line. Then, when the people who rented the house before us moved in, they had the the other line put in. But because they rented the house as a whole, they only needed the one line. Make sense? Haha.

Thanks

I don't want to go off topic, but is using a HD box I didn't buy off Sky directly legal?
      Off topic, but perfectly legal so long as the STB wasn't stolen. A simple phone call to Sky to pair your viewing card with the new STB is all that is required. If you want to consider upgrading the Hard Drive in it before hand, then I would suggest it as a good investment.

The DRX890 comes with a 500GB drive, of which 250GB is reserved for your recordings. The remainder is reserved for Anytime content (not Anytime+). A 2TB drive would hold a lot more content. Just make sure that it is a drive suitable for a PVR. I fitted a WD20EARS earlier this year and it has performed very well, but there are others available that work equally well.

I won't be getting the HD Pack yet but I was thinking of using Sky Anytime.
      Not with your current download speeds!

Exchange:
      Thanks

@Scubbie Well the phone's are definitely not at their best, my dog has a strange fascination with them, so she picks them up sometimes and takes them to her basket lol. Maybe they emit a high pitched noise that only she can hear? She also howls when they ring..

I would be happy to replace the phones, though.

Well I could ask them yeah. But they have Plusnet for broadband, would a simple speedtest.net test be sufficient or would I need to find out how they can get detailed statistics like on Sky?

I'll probably end up trying to get someone from Sky to come up to check the line. I'm afraid they might say because the broken Junction box is our fault, that we'll have to pay for any fixes they make.

Is there any way to check if it was stolen? We bought their HDTV as well as they were selling both. I'll definitely think about upgrading the hard drive. By suitable for a PVR, do you mean a standard 3.5" drive? What's the difference between Anytime and Anytime+?

It doesn't bother me too much. I just thought I'd use it since we'll be using a HD box.

Thanks

Well I could ask them yeah. But they have Plusnet for broadband, would a simple speedtest.net test be sufficient or would I need to find out how they can get detailed statistics like on Sky?
      All current ADSL routers have some method to show their connection stats. Whilst they might be limited to standard ADSL, it is possible to see whether their connection is better or worse or the same as yours.

I'll probably end up trying to get someone from Sky to come up to check the line. I'm afraid they might say because the broken Junction box is our fault, that we'll have to pay for any fixes they make.
      I can't say, but it'll be a BTO Engineer that would repair the connection any way. If you explain about how it got damaged he should take measures to protect it from a vicious dog attack in the future.

Is there any way to check if it was stolen? We bought their HDTV as well as they were selling both. I'll definitely think about upgrading the hard drive. By suitable for a PVR, do you mean a standard 3.5" drive?
      The majority are fine, so don't worry.

Standard PC Hard Drives have specific error correction systems and power consumptions that PVR drives don't have.

Where the contents of a file are crucial for a PC or Laptop, a PVR requires constant video streaming abilities, without long pauses when a drive has an error on it.

Also a fast drive will generate lots of heat, something that a PVR drive doesn't by comparrison. This is important when it comes to cooling the STB.

What's the difference between Anytime and Anytime+? It doesn't bother me too much. I just thought I'd use it since we'll be using a HD box.
      Anytime is recorded via the Sat Dish when at least one of your feeds isn't being used.

Anytime+ is the on-line content that you can download from Sky's servers via the Internet.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Connection Speed 128 kbps 416 kbps = This indicates you were on G.DMT
      Connection Speed 507 kbps 413 kbps = This indicates that you are on ADSL2+

The change in line mode accounts for the rise in attenuation. It possibly also indicates that DLM had just started on the line. What OS you use to take the stats does not matter, anything that can access the router will do.

With your router in that position it looks like you have the potential to get around 2.5Mb, but I would still like to see a photo of the inside of the master socket, showing the A and B terminals and what is connected to them. I am still a bit concerned with where the extension phones are connected to the line. When we see this then we can advise further.

Don't worry too much about DLM, it is much more important that you get your wiring sorted out. With regards the junction box I would advise you to get one of these BT 77B Junction Box (6 way screw connectors) This is a 6 way and being screwed means you don't need to worry about special tools, just a small screw driver. RunITDirect is very good and will deliver it to you very quickly. There is no need to get anyone in to do it, if you fitted the choc blocks, you can fit this. Just remember to advise your NDN that the phone will be off for a few minutes while you make the connections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@Scubbie Ok, I'll figure out how they can get their stats, then ask them.

Haha yeah, a stronger box would be great. I've heard something about changing the standard wire that connects the Junction Box to the Master Socket to a cat5e/Cat6 cable, would this be beneficial and would the engineer do it?

Ah ok. I was actually going to ask whether to get a higher RPM drive or not. The one you linked me to looks great, 2TB would be ample since we'd only have the free HD channels. Would I have to reserve space for Anytime on a new drive?

@Isitme Ah! So when I use the extension cable I go onto G.DMT and when I'm not, ADSL2+. I'm back on the extension for a minute, here's the stats again (it hasn't bin raining today, as opposed to yesterday)

System Up Time: 00:16:21
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1677 1913 0 331 1607 00:15:07
      LAN 100M/Full 2459 2946 0 1682 501 00:16:16
      WLAN 11M/54M 821 0 0 79 0 00:16:03
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 128 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 4 db 8 db

DLM started on the 2nd of this month, but I interrupted it yesterday. Here's some photo's of the inside of the Master Socket. I'm not sure what terminal A and B are though, so if you point them out to me I'll try get a better shot of them.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I didn't fix the Junction Box though, we got a local friend to do it. I wouldn't really feel confident messing with it.

@AndyJG

Yes, all the wires are connected in the layout you listed. And yes, there is a green wire with white bands coming from the white cable (Junction Box to Master Socket) which is plugged into the last terminal.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast