Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Need Help Finding Broadband Problem!

This is a discussion on Need Help Finding Broadband Problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by DoctorGore @Scubbie Haha thanks, want to trade it for your connection? Only if I can swap you ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Need Help Finding Broadband Problem!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGore View Post
      @Scubbie Haha thanks, want to trade it for your connection?
      Only if I can swap you for the view as well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I don't think you can't have a second line installed with Sky. You will have to order it via BT. Once the line is active you can then ring Sky and tell them you are facing problems with your current line and will like your Sky broadband services moved to a spare active line in your house.

You can ring Sky support and explain your situation. Let them know that you are willing to pay for the installation of a fresh line. Worth a shot I suppose but If I recall correctly Sky can't process a second line for you. (The system won't let them do it)

What they could do is cancel your current subscription and put in an order for a fresh re provision but you could be stuck in a limbo as there is no guarantee that a new line will be installed.

DoctorGore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Only if I can swap you for the view as well.
      Done!

Here's two ideas I drew up in paint for a new line;

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
      ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I'm leaning towards number two because the wires would be inside. Any thoughts?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      I don't think you can't have a second line installed with Sky. You will have to order it via BT. Once the line is active you can then ring Sky and tell them you are facing problems with your current line and will like your Sky broadband services moved to a spare active line in your house.

You can ring Sky support and explain your situation. Let them know that you are willing to pay for the installation of a fresh line. Worth a shot I suppose but If I recall correctly Sky can't process a second line for you. (The system won't let them do it)

What they could do is cancel your current subscription and put in an order for a fresh re provision but you could be stuck in a limbo as there is no guarantee that a new line will be installed.
      Hmm. There's always a catch! Haha. From what I've seen, BT's install prices are higher, but if I have to go with them I'd basically be guaranteed a line? I'll give Sky a ring tomorrow and explain, if not I'll go with BT.

Would I have any/much downtime whilst swapping lines?

Exchange:
      Thanks

How would I go about adding a new line from BT? It says this on their site;
      'All our telephone lines come with a Calling Plan or Broadband & Calls package.'
      We recently switched our line rental to Sky, would I have to switch back to BT?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hmm. There's always a catch! Haha. From what I've seen, BT's install prices are higher, but if I have to go with them I'd basically be guaranteed a line? I'll give Sky a ring tomorrow and explain, if not I'll go with BT.

Would I have any/much downtime whilst swapping lines?
      5 minutes.

How would I go about adding a new line from BT? It says this on their site;
      'All our telephone lines come with a Calling Plan or Broadband & Calls package.'
      We recently switched our line rental to Sky, would I have to switch back to BT?
      This is all a bit complicated with Sky in the picture. Basically when you get a new line from BT or any other ISP you will be tied into a contract and then switching to Sky would incur a penalty.

So Instead of BT get a line from Post office as they don't have a minimum term contract. Once the line is installed you could switch to Sky the next day.

The details are in the link above. Give them a ring tomorrow and tell them you already have a phone line with another ISP at the moment but would like a second one installed since one is not enough. Hopefully they'll process it for you.

Keep us updated.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you may be overcomplicating things to be honest. If you were in an urban setting with lots of spare lines getting another would be fairly easy. Where you are, there is a good chance BT would have to string a line all the way back to the nearest cabinet, which could prove very costly. Apart from that you might have difficulty getting Sky to move the broadband connection to a new line. You will be under contract to Sky and BT would want to sign up for an 18 month contract for the new line. Finally there is no guarantee that you would be any better off.

Before you do anything you should get the crackling line fixed, this could be the real problem.

If you can afford it, your best bet may be to sign up with TalkTalk for a phone and broadband service and keep your Sky one active.

What speed does your neighbour get with TalkTalk?

You mentioned you have other phones plugged in with a homeplug system. Where is the homeplug connected to? Does it work with the faceplate removed?

Can you post your stats as they are now. It has been a bit remiss of us not to have asked this before. Please use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh, I thought they could just add another line to the pole outside lol.

My neighbour is with Plusnet for Broadband, and either BT or Plusnet for calls, I'm assuming. They say their connection is good, but I don't know the actual speeds they get.

Well the main phone is plugged into the microfilter. The other two are connected via the mains with a weird looking rj11 cable to mains adaptor. I posted a picture in one of my earlier posts. I assumed these worked similar to a homeplug. And I'm unable to test if they work without the filter atm as I'm currently on DLM.

Here are my stats currently whilst connected to an ADSL extension cable. Again, I can't test it without it yet as I'm on DLM.

System Up Time: 102:16:28
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 17277 18961 0 630 1535 01:58:51
      LAN 100M/Full 3616879 3115147 0 10760 942 102:16:23
      WLAN 11M/54M 40125 910 0 12 0 102:16:10
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 128 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 4 db 7 db

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Personally I would forget DLM and call Sky tonight or in the morning.

With those stats you are not going to get a good connection.

You mentioned that you have some crackling on your line. with this in mind and having seen the pictures of the telephone line, I would suggest that you should be calm and polite, but push towards getting someone from BTO to visit you and rewire things.

The crackling could be at any point from your test socket to the Green Street Cabinet or further on to the telephone exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just moved the router to the master socket. Used the dangly microfilter which is only days old, the sky provided ADSL cable, sky ethernet cable and didn't have the phone plugged in. Both of my tests were in the microfilter plugged into the test socket.

Here are my stats,

System Up Time: 00:07:06
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3250 3965 0 2120 9991 00:06:39
      LAN 100M/Full 4239 3891 0 9979 2469 00:07:01
      WLAN 11M/54M 342 0 0 70 0 00:06:48
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 507 kbps 413 kbps
      Line Attenuation 67 db 46 db
      Noise Margin 16 db 13 db

Keep in mind I did this test on an XP laptop, where as before it was done on a Windows 7 PC. Both have McAfee paid version installed. Both were done in normal windows mode.

My mum said that the crackling on the phone has bin happening for months. My neighbours had broadband installed and the landline reacvtivated last year. She said sometimes it's worse than others. I'll test just the phone into the test socket now.

Edit: Plugged just the phone into the test socket (no microfilter) and the noise was still there. I'm using a short cable to connect them, should I bother looking for another to test if it's a faulty cable?
      Last edited by DoctorGore; 13-10-11 at 12:22 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast