Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help please ! Slow broadband speed after moving router.

This is a discussion on Help please ! Slow broadband speed after moving router. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I hope I am posting in the correct place, I'm after some help please. I have moved my ...

Tofty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Help please ! Slow broadband speed after moving router.

Hi all

I hope I am posting in the correct place, I'm after some help please.

I have moved my router from my main pc, to next to my hd box to access anytime+. I have wired the router to the hd box and used the phoneline from the hd box for the router. I have a USB dongle in my main pc to connect wireless to the router.
      My pc and all wireless equipment pickup the router and anytime+ works, but my broadband speed on all computers has gone from 10mb to less than 1mb !

Does anyone know if the speed would go back up to 10mb after a while ? I've put my router back next to the pc and speeds are good again, but I want my hd box wired to the router.

I know i could run a long Ethernet cable to the hd box or pay for sky's expensive wireless dongle, but i thought I'd got around all that.
      I just want to know if anyone has got the same set up and if it's possible for the speed to increase ?

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Re: Help please ! Slow broadband speed after moving router.

I use Homeplugs to do that. It's a simple solution to this problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to timc For This Useful Post:

Tofty (11-10-11)

bbtech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: YEOVIL
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Post your router stats, a link is available in my signature.

This will help us understand whether there is another issue...

Does Anytime+ work?

As you have moved your router to another location, it may not cope with wireless signals so well. Changing channels could help this, although a router should always be as central in the home as possible, where the phone sockets allow..

As, timc suggested, Home Plugs do solve this issue and can be picked up at all majors computing retailers such as PcWorld, Maplins, Amazon... or by calling Sky for their Anytime+ receiver.
      How to get your router statistics
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbtech For This Useful Post:

Tofty (11-10-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello

Thanks for the replies.

I have looked into other ways of connecting everything, homeplugs etc.
      It's just that the way I moved the router makes the most sense and as I said everything works, only the broadband speed is a problem.
      Do you know if I would initially get a slower speed after moving the router?
      Everything works including anytime+, and the router is now in the living room where I use my wireless laptop. The laptop and the home pc are slower than when the router is directly wired to the pc.

Any idea if the speeds will pick up again if I leave it wired into my hd box ?
      I'm using all the right equipment.

Router wired to pc - All devices getting 10mb speed

Router wired to hd box - All devices getting less than 2mb speed

Thanks for any input.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

First of all, you need to establish which telephone socket offers the best connection to the Internet. This is normally the Master Socket.

From there you need to decide on how you are going to make the link between the router and the Sky+ HD STB and your PC.

WiFi is fine to some extent, but it does offer some problems. If it is a case that the Master socket is nearest to where you want the PC, then the suggestion made by timc regarding HomePlugs is a sound solution, but not suitable for everyone.

Download and install something like inSSIDer to see how strong the WiFi strength is on the computer is it helps. Ultimately rely on the reported connection speed on the router first in order to help get your best Internet speed. Then you can position the router in order to get the best WiFi speed if you are going to stay connected that way.

I wrote a document, which I appreciate is long, about some home networking techniques. Please do take a look at it and see if it helps you to understand your options more clearly.

Extending your Home Network

(If you have any comments on the document please feel free to make them in the relevant thread, I don't bite)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tofty (11-10-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, thank you very much everyone. I will play around and see how I get on.
      I know the master phone socket is the one nearest the pc, I didn't realise that made such a difference.
      Can I take it that whatever speed I initially get when plugging the router into the hd box is final and will not improve ?

Thanks in advance.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post
      I know the master phone socket is the one nearest the pc, I didn't realise that made such a difference.
      Can I take it that whatever speed I initially get when plugging the router into the hd box is final and will not improve ?
      With ADSL2+ connections the length of the telephone line and its quality is even more important than with ADSL1. Sky BB Unlimited is an ADSL2+ based product.

Telephone extensions are a frequent cause of reducing the line speed and are often cited on this forum as causes of problems.

Either way you are going to have to choose between connecting the router near the Sky+ HD STB or your PC and providing a link to the other. My personal choice would be to place the router beside the PC since this is where your Master socket is and to provide a suitable link to the Sky+ STB.

The document that I linked you to shows a number of different options which can be used within the home. Each has different costs associated and each has different benefits and drawbacks.

If your electric wiring is of good quality and you can afford the cost of a pair of a good pair of HomePlugs (or PowerLine Adaptors) then this would be the simplest option. They really do work well and would be more than adequate for the Sky+ HD STB.

If you look around you can get a good pair on places like eBay. Personally I recommend a pair with a pass-through socket as HomePlugs & PowerLine adaptors do not work on Surge protected Extensions and I would also recommend these to protect your computer & audio visual equipment. I also recommend a pair that support 100 or 200Mb/s connection speed.

Another option would be to purchase a WiFi extender. If you take this option, then the Sky+ HD STB would end up connecting via Ethernet to the extender and the extender in turn would connect to the Sky Router via WiFi. Positioning of the router and the extender would be important in order to get a good connection, but it would work since your PC is able to connect to the router via WiFi when it was near the STB.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tofty (12-10-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you very much, that's some very good advice.
      I will look at your linked document more closely and decide on the best option.

Thank you to all that have posted replies, it's much appreciated.