Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

RouterStats Lite - Do I need to worry about dropouts?

This is a discussion on RouterStats Lite - Do I need to worry about dropouts? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm a week into the 10 days training, for the last 5 days (approx) my sync hasn't dropped and is ...

FlexiPack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

RouterStats Lite - Do I need to worry about dropouts?

I'm a week into the 10 days training, for the last 5 days (approx) my sync hasn't dropped and is currently at 4128kbps. For the last few days I've been running routerstats lite whilst I've been using the computer and in the last 2 days I've noticed dropouts in the graphs. I only have a basic knowledge when it comes to the technicalities of broadband and I don't know what these dropouts mean. The sync hasn't been lost, wan uptime is currently at 142hrs.

I can't attribute these dropouts to anything, they don't coincide with phone usage etc.

My details are:

Sky Sagem Router
      XDE-2005 Filtered Faceplate

2. Advertisement
      bbtech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: YEOVIL
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: RouterStats Lite - Do I need to worry about dropouts?

This shouldn't be anything to worry about if your connection is not dropping. SNR can fluctuate at any time of the day.

Have you and any downtime at all since your line was activated?
      How to get your router statistics
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

Exchange:
      Thanks

In the first couple of days the router lost sync a few times and the connection speed adjusted but since then it's been a stable connection. According to routerstats lite the connection speed drops to 0 at the same time the noise margin does. Have you any idea what this means?

I'm not a new member of Sky broadband. I've been with them for 3 years but I'd been stuck on low speed for quite sometime (1.8mbps). Don't know why, maybe I was messing with my router when DLM was active some time again. So I recently phoned them to get it reset.

bbtech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: YEOVIL
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So, to clarify, you requested DLM be reset?

That's interesting.. it could be an issue with the cabling, router or exchange equipment. If the router continues to disconnect in this way, DLM may activate under the impression their is a line fault and reduce your speed... which could be why it dropped to 1.8Mpbs.. as Sky favour quality over speed.
      How to get your router statistics
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I rang Sky regarding the slow downspeed, the guy ran some tests and determined I should be on around 3mbps. He told me DLM would be running for the next 10 days.

I don't know how long these dropouts have been occuring. I didn't get any the first day I ran routerstats lite but the last 2 days there have been regular dropouts. Does this mean my router is losing connection but maintaining sync? Despite these dropouts/disconnects my speed hasn't been lowered even though DLM is running. Have you any suggestions where I might look to the source of this problem? Or is it one of those broadband needle in a haystack puzzles.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you bring the stats screen up, pick up your phone and dial a number. Your own will do. Keep your eye on the noise margin and see if there is any change.

I doubt if DLM training is running on your line and even if it is, it is finding nothing wrong. I am not even sure if DLM will run on a line on G.DMT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

x98
      x98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSCA
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

IMO and experience, those are not dropouts. What you're seeing is a momentary lapse when routerstasts fails to get any info from the router, therefore it can't plot anything.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by x98 View Post
      IMO and experience, those are not dropouts. What you're seeing is a momentary lapse when routerstasts fails to get any info from the router, therefore it can't plot anything.
      That's my thought to, if it were dropping it would show up in the WAN uptime.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think you're right guys. I read the FAQ on RouterStats and if you log into your router whilst RouterStats is running it will momentarily sever RouterStats connection and it will need to log in again. I have been accessing my router periodically, it must be that causing the drops in the graphs. Feel a bit of dummy for not noticing the connection between the two but there you go!

There is a drop of about 3db in noise margin when the landline rings, is this normal?

thanks for all your help guys