Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Joined Sky in August, my speed is horrible!

This is a discussion on Joined Sky in August, my speed is horrible! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I joined Sky from Talk Talk around mid August this year, it took a month for the thing to actually ...

Bunk Moreland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Joined Sky in August, my speed is horrible!

I joined Sky from Talk Talk around mid August this year, it took a month for the thing to actually work, when it did my speed was just 0.3mb and it remains at this today. I live in the countryside so my speed isn't the best anyway, but I got 1.2mb with Talk Talk for years, which I am more than happy to live with. I am using the D-Link router as well and the signal is horrible on it, the Xbox and other devices constantly disconnect in one of the bedrooms.

I have rang Sky countless times telling them about this, but they keep telling me I am actually getting 0.6mb and that is good for my line, despite me telling them I'm only getting 0.3 and I was getting 1.2 for years. They just don't want to listen.

I connected my Linksys router earlier and the downstream speed was over 1mb, plus the signal was strong all over the house. The DSL light is green but the internet light is red. I heard it can be hell trying to set up a 'non-Sky' router, is this true? Can anyone help me with this and end this internet misery?

2. Advertisement
      bbtech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: YEOVIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Joined Sky in August, my speed is horrible!

Okay,

For us to gain a better idea, please provide your router stats.

Do this by following these steps:

How to get your router statistics

From this we can see if your line is capable of more than its receiving and see if Sky are indeed correct in their statement, false or provide less than TalkTalk over wishes to provide a better quality of service than speed.

George.
      Last edited by bbtech; 11-10-11 at 06:57 PM.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
      I connected my Linksys router earlier and the downstream speed was over 1mb, plus the signal was strong all over the house. The DSL light is green but the internet light is red. I heard it can be hell trying to set up a 'non-Sky' router, is this true? Can anyone help me with this and end this internet misery?
      If you haven't extracted your password from the sky d-link yet, then I hope to have a brand new program available within the next day, or so (providing I don't discover any further bugs) that will extract the password without needing to flash the firmware, or disable your firewall or anti-virus.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbtech View Post
      Okay,

For us to gain a better idea, please provide your router stats.

Do this by following these steps:

From this we can see if your line is capable of more than its receiving and see if Sky are indeed correct in their statement, false or provide less than TalkTalk over wishes to provide a better quality of service than speed.

George.
      Sorry for the mess, just copied it in:

System Up Time: 00:46:52

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 17028 19640 0 1130 5254 00:44:55
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 22017 19188 0 5934 1369 00:44:45

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 576 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 7.1db 12.0db

It says my downstream is 576, but if I do a speed test it shows this:

This is what I had with Talk Talk in July this year:

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      If you haven't extracted your password from the sky d-link yet, then I hope to have a brand new program available within the next day, or so (providing I don't discover any further bugs) that will extract the password without needing to flash the firmware, or disable your firewall or anti-virus.
      I read about this on another forum when I Google'd it, I got a link to a website that finds/generates a password for you. I heard you can't use that website with new D'Link routers though? I think this was the website I used here:

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

Thanks

Thank you for providing your stats.

No, unfortunately the tool you link to is not for a D-Link router.

Based on your line stats you could achieve a maximum sync speed of 2016kbps with a line of your length. The question I suppose you will ask following this is why can Sky not provide this to me. The answer I'm afraid is very simple. Noise.

Sky make use of a default target SNR of 7dB (for a detailed explain, see the link in my signature). The lower the SNR ratio the faster the speeds yet the more unstable the line becomes. While TalkTalk often have a target SNR of below 7dB, correlate this to the quantity of unsatisfied customers they provide a service to. TalkTalk's business runs based on speed whereas whilst Sky offer speed to many, it is not their top priority; a high quality of service, with low connection drop outs is preferred, hence the 7dB margin.

Looking at your line speeds, your line has been set by the 10 day training period to meet the 7dB download margin and unfortunately Sky will not be able to provide a further speed boost at their end as it could cause quality issues and your line may then become unstable.

Your upstream, (upload) is now on 12dB and a call to Sky can usually reduce this margin to see you gain a higher upload speed. That is all Sky could do for you there end.

At your end you could try numerous things to increase the speed. These include plugging your router into your master socket, using a filter faceplate on your socket, and rewiring (not a viable option to many). Plugging the router into your main socket you can usually squeeze that little extra from your connection.

Sky's broadband speed checker does provide a slower speed to its competitors for this reason - their SNR. If, however, Sky have been unable to meet the speeds they claimed; - their Terms and Conditions do allow you to leave within a certain period.

Also, which product are you on? - Unlimited or Lite?

George.
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Its Sky Connect, as far as I know it isnt unlimited as there is a download limit of 20gbs or something. Getting 0.3ish when my line can get between 1 and 2mb is outrageous really but if it can't be helped it can't be helped. I guess my only real option is to find another provider? What company would be the best at maximising my lines speed?

Thanks

Ah, okay...

It is outrageous, yes.. but which would you prefer.. being on the phone left, right and centre due to a poor, fast connection or having a stable slow connection.

Sky Connect is using BT's DLM and Sky Connect is known as a far weaker product.

Using SAMKNOWS, available here, type your details in and tell us what services are available...

In the LLU section, which providers are available? - BT will be available, as you are on connect.
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Why on earth did you join Sky when they can only offer their Connect product? This must be one of the worst broadband packages around.

Your upstream speed is at it's maximum and won't be much affected by time of day etc., but your downstream , even if you can get the sync speed up will be adversely affected by the peak time congestion that occurs with this product.

If you go to the BT speedtest site at Test Result you can get fuller info about your profile.

I'd guess that you've been set on a low profile which can be difficult to get raised.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
      BT Wholesale ADSL Max

ADSL available at ~1.5Mbps
      BT Total broadband
      TalkTalk non-LLU
      Sky Connect (non-LLU)
      AOL broadband (non-LLU)
      Pipex broadband
      Plusnet broadband
      Tiscali broadband
      And many more...