Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Disconnections after Sky+ HD installation

This is a discussion on Disconnections after Sky+ HD installation within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; By the way, does the increase in the noise margin mean that my speed can be increased to something higher? ...

Broadbander-Sky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Disconnections after Sky+ HD installation

By the way, does the increase in the noise margin mean that my speed can be increased to something higher? Does anyone know what I should say to Tier 1 for them to put me forward to Tier 3 straight away?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Try unscrewing the adsl faceplate and see how your stats look from the test socket. Just because the SNR is above the target 7dB, it does not mean that you'll be able to see an increase. Errors can still be high/unacceptable with a higher SNR, which would make sense from you suggesting the loss of sync and slow throughput.

Tier 3 haven't existed since, like, late 2007. It's tier 1 and CST now. There's nothing that can be said to be put straight through to CST. If the case needs escalated, then it will be.
      Last edited by User05; 09-10-11 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Got the dates confused.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broadbander-Sky View Post
      Hi,

Had a engineer come round and install the Sky+ HD box.

I noticed him bringing the dish cable from the back of the house, over the roof and then drill a hole in the sitting room.
      I'd be inclined to contact Sky about the cables going over the roof as you'll get damage to the cable in windy conditions & then signal failure.

They did this to a neighbour of mine , he complained & they came back & fixed it properly.

Whilst they're no supposed to go in your loft they could have run it around the house instead - however that takes longer & can cause the "engineer" problems with his job list. Another however is that It also increases the cable run which is not recommended with the quality of cable they use.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Daft, but important question: Do your telephone lines go overhead or underground?

Are they anywhere near where the Satellite coaxial cable is or did it perhaps got close to the telephone cable/s when he installed it?

It is possible that he has accidentally knocked the telephone cable whilst installing the Satellite coax and this has caused your connection to drop.

If you could confirm whether or not there is now any noise on the telephone line with the Sky Router, then it might be worth calling Sky to get you line uncapped.

I suspect that User05 is very concerned as to why the connection speed has dropped. It doesn't just happen under normal circumstances. I am offering a potential cause.

How to check whether or not there is any noise on the line? Using a corded telephone, dial '1' and listen carefully for a few moments. It should be totally silent. If you hear any crackling or hiss, then there is a line fault that needs to be reported. If you hear a high pitched noise like a fax machine, then the ADSL filter is worn out.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

By the way, does the increase in the noise margin mean that my speed can be increased to something higher?
      It should do, you might ask them to try your line on ADSL2+ as it seems to have improved a bit. You could possibly get 6-7Mb.

Your throughput could be a different issue. Try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speedtest, using ethernet, here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/ and report the result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12