Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky BB and Non Sky router

This is a discussion on Sky BB and Non Sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI there I was complaining to Sky CS about my old router as WIFI is not working properly anymore as ...

ervidel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky BB and Non Sky router

HI there

I was complaining to Sky CS about my old router as WIFI is not working properly anymore as router is about 5 years now and has been always ON.
      CS told me that they could exchange for a free one. When I asked if it was a draft-N router they said that they also had one like that but as it would be an upgrade I would have to pay 35 quid.

I told them that I didn't know that sagem router and to pay for something that I don't know I'd rather buy one myself from a different source. I know that sky doesn't like this but I just thought I throw that one in anyway....

Well what a surprise it was when the good lady told me that I was free to do that as many of their customers have been doing this since shy BB day one. The only thing was that they would then not be able to support me if there was anything wrong with the connection in the future and I wouldn't get the password or username from them.
      I'm okay with that because if it is the connection I would then put their router in place to fault find the problem.

So the question is, is there any good router that anyone could recommend to work with Sky's BB? Is the Sagem N router any good? I saw some posts that this router doesn't really permit real 300Mbps?

Regards

2. Advertisement
      imdag2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNUPK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB and Non Sky router

Quote Originally Posted by ervidel View Post
      HI there

I was complaining to Sky CS about my old router as WIFI is not working properly anymore as router is about 5 years now and has been always ON.
      CS told me that they could exchange for a free one. When I asked if it was a draft-N router they said that they also had one like that but as it would be an upgrade I would have to pay 35 quid.

I told them that I didn't know that sagem router and to pay for something that I don't know I'd rather buy one myself from a different source. I know that sky doesn't like this but I just thought I throw that one in anyway....

Well what a surprise it was when the good lady told me that I was free to do that as many of their customers have been doing this since shy BB day one. The only thing was that they would then not be able to support me if there was anything wrong with the connection in the future and I wouldn't get the password or username from them.
      I'm okay with that because if it is the connection I would then put their router in place to fault find the problem.

So the question is, is there any good router that anyone could recommend to work with Sky's BB? Is the Sagem N router any good? I saw some posts that this router doesn't really permit real 300Mbps?

Regards
      thats funny i spoke to sky yesterday and i did the same as you, was told i would have to pay either way since im out of warenty, but then when i sed sky dont allow us to use my own router or i would have, the two people i spoke to both said i can but sky will not help me or support me in setting up a diffrent router to the sky ones,

i thought sky used to bite their tongue before talking about non sky routers

FTTC Connection: download:40,000. upload:10,000. 5ms ping
      ADSL Speed:
      Connection Speed 18013 kbps 1087 kbps 16db 7db attenuation7db 7db noise
      Download: 15351 Kbit/s
      Upload : 957 kbit/s
      Connects : 2891 conn/min Ping: 19 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sky's latest router the Sagem 2540N does appear to be quite stable. It may suffer from the same PSU problems as the Sagem 2504, but it is too early to be sure of this.

As for which non-Sky router to go for, you may be interested in this thread:

What non-Sky router will give me the best speed.

I'm using a Netgear DGND3700 at the moment. Whilst it's specs are good looking, there are some issues with the firmware. Hopefully these will be resolved soon. The latest beta firmware is an improvement, but not perfect.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for your help.

In the end I decided to wait a few more days to check with someone else at sky's CS and ask the same question again about using a different router....

today it was all the same thing again... NO I am not allowed to use my own router. This is just hit and miss all the time with these guys at sky. I don't see any other provider that could offer the same BB speed and all you can eat for the same or near price. BT is certainly not an option, or do you guys see this differently?
      under 10 quid a month for unlimited BB at sky is hardly match by others.

Thanks

The official answer is that you are not allowed to use your own router on Sky's Broadband services. This is specified in their Terms & conditions.

However earlier this year (April/May) it was confirmed on Sky's Support Forum that they currently do not punish customers for using their own routers.

Technically there is one thing that could prevent many people from using their own routers in the future, but currently this has not happened. Sky has introduced a different method of communicating with their servers. The current method of connecting your own router is to use PPPoA. The new Sky routers can use this method and MER.

Sky uses their own methods within MER and whilst some people have been able to connect for short periods using MER, there has been little success for long-term connections.

Some router manufacturers do have the technical information to get over this hurdle, but to date they have not released firmware updates to allow us to crack it. If Sky were to update the few routers it has which cannot use MER, then they could overnight close the door on our own routers.

With this in mind, you are free to take the plunge, like many other members, and use your own ADSL router. Alternatively you could purchase a good Cable router and disable the WiFi on the sky router.

By connecting the cable router's WAN port to the Sky router, you can then run your LAN through the Cable router and it will then pass any Internet traffic through the Sky router. If you set it in the Sky router's DMZ, then the Sky router is effectively working like a Modem.

I successfully did this with my own setup and could access the Sky router through the Netgear DGND3700. This allowed me to check the Sky router's connection details. In the mean time I could also benefit from the Netgear's 1Gbit LAN and dual-band WiFi n.

As for Sky's package, yes it is very good value. Some people are unfortunately unable to connect a good speeds, this is down to the technical specifications of ADSL & ADSL2+. Fibre would offer them better speeds, but this is not available to everyone just yet.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

thank you again Scubbie for the time and good information.

I rang the guys at sky again yesterday asking where the replacement router was as when I asked them on the 1st call I would have to pay 35 quid for the "n" version but the "g" version would be free, I ordered one.

Now the story was slightly different and I would have to pay 28 quid for the "g" version. I really had enough of their games. I can understand that some CS representatives might get their script slightly wrong at times but this bad...

I asked the chap to put me through to cancellations. I was in hope this my intentions to cancel would somehow trigger some kind of sympathy from their side, but NO, nothing. I was about 10 minutes answering questions until the guy told me that they wouldn't be able to cancel if I was going to be with another provider. I would have to talk to those 1st and these would cancel for me...

One day I get told something, the following day another person tells me something different. Oh well I have taken the plunge and asked BT to get me their new infinity product.
      I will get 30Mbits D/L and 8 U/L according to their calculations. I think this is worth the extra money. Hopefully their new Hub v3 is good enough to serve the whole house something the sagem "g" isn't cable of.

Unlimited BB
      Unlimited calls to landlines 01, 02 and 03 anytime
      Free 0845 and 0870 (my other half uses these a lot)
      Almost 8 times my actual D/L speed and twice as much my actual D/L in U/L speed.

all this for 20 quid p/m for the 1st 3 months and 28 quid thereafter.

Will be installed on the 1st Nov. I will post back the results.

I wonder if Sky will be calling me to tell me that they will give me a "n" router if I cancel with BT?!

Thanks

Now the story was slightly different and I would have to pay 28 quid for the "g" version. I really had enough of their games. I can understand that some CS representatives might get their script slightly wrong at times but this bad...
      This bit is off-script. It is at the discretion of the support staff whether or not to charge you for the older routers when a replacement is required and you are out of the warranty period.

28 is the correct standard fee. This can be waived in some circumstances. You could try calling again to see if you can get someone more willing to send you a router FoC.

I asked the chap to put me through to cancellations. I was in hope this my intentions to cancel would somehow trigger some kind of sympathy from their side, but NO, nothing. I was about 10 minutes answering questions until the guy told me that they wouldn't be able to cancel if I was going to be with another provider. I would have to talk to those 1st and these would cancel for me...
      Actually they could cancel it, but the advice was technically the best advice to provide.

If any ISP cancels a broadband connection, then your line will be unable to have a new provider for around 2 weeks after the disconnection. Perhaps they aren't allowed to tell you this, but I trust that you appreciate that this is the best advice if you intend to transfer to someone else.

One day I get told something, the following day another person tells me something different. Oh well I have taken the plunge and asked BT to get me their new infinity product.
      I will get 30Mbits D/L and 8 U/L according to their calculations. I think this is worth the extra money. Hopefully their new Hub v3 is good enough to serve the whole house something the sagem "g" isn't cable of.
      Certainly FTTC would provide you with a better connection speed. The BT HomeHub v3 is rated identically to the new Sky Sagem 2504N router in terms of connection speed.

The stronger signal will cover a better area but it won't always cover everyone's home. You may wish to look at a WiFi extender if it doesn't do the job you require.

I wonder if Sky will be calling me to tell me that they will give me a "n" router if I cancel with BT?!
      I do not expect that they would.

Personally I would never go back to BT after how I was treated by their support staff in India. To say that they were rude and kept hanging up on me would be the short and polite version.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi there
      here I am reporting in how it went from Sky BB to BT infinity.

the BT engineer arrived, very helpful and "educated", explained everything before he started working.
      explained that the modem had to be placed at the master socket, this is a must.
      As my main place where the TV, DVD, SKY and PS3 all sit was also where the sky router was placed I ran cat5 cables to all 4 sets. Now and because the master socket is miles away from these I had to come up with a plan. The BT guy told me I could run a slimmed version of a cat5 cables from the modem back into the wall through the master socket and run that cable around the property from the outside and feed it through the same way the sky sat coax runs up to the box. He gave me all the needed connections and most important the cable. He wouldn't help me because I would have to take some stuff that was in the way before and since I didn't have time to do this he couldn't do the job. so I decided I would do this by myself on a weekend. But I decided not to do this since a 3 way homeplug would do the same job. okay I have 4 sets that need BB but since the skybox isn't going to use the internet anymore (I think that sky anytime + still only works with sky BB?).

this is now how the whole network is set up and everyone at home is happy. no more drops in speed and most important the Hub3 gets the wifi waves to the whole house.

before SKY BB
      D/L speed ~3.5 Mbps U/L speed ~0.8 Mbps

now BT infinity
      D/L speed ~32 Mbps U/L speed ~8.9 Mbps

around 10x speed increase.

any comments?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Congratulations on your super fast broadband. You are just one of many who have got fed up with Sky not introducing this service and have voted with their wallet.

Maybe you could change your Profile to reflect your new status.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

done that now. but mind you that I haven't changed because of speed! if you read above you will see that I got fed up with them due their lack of support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast