Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Intermitant connection failure

This is a discussion on Intermitant connection failure within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've been with sky broadband for the last 6 months but in the past few weeks I've been losing ...

Rufus Vegas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Intermitant connection failure

Hi,
      I've been with sky broadband for the last 6 months but in the past few weeks I've been losing connection several times a day. The connection drop lasts no more than a few minutes at a time and the router connects again automatically, no reboot required.

I've bren in touch with sky several times, this usually results in the problem being investigated and 'escalated' to some other team, who then call me back explaining that they have monitored and resolved the problem. Usually 4 or so days later the problem starts again.

Last Wednesday I called sky to report the latest recurrence of my problem but this time they told me they couldn't find any faults, that my connection had been stable and so there was nothing to escalate. When I asked how my connection status was being monitored and mentioned that I was a researcher at the local university's media technology department they got a little flustered and said the would monitor the line just incase, offering to call me back on Saturday (tomorrow). Well in the mean time my connection has become less and less reliable. I have even tried rewiring the slave sockets around my home to eliminate local wiring or noise as the cause but to no avail.

My router is the Sagemcom f@st2054n, Tue one with the dodgy firmware (wireless disabled) although the firmware may now be fixed, I'm not sure! Here are my stats:

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 27:33:18

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 3504 1604538 0 722298 2054904662 0:30:18
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 27:33:18
      WLAN Up 64924 133745 0 37472388 26390346 5:19:18

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13310 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13.5 dB 9.0 dB
      Noise Margin 7.1 dB 15.1 dB

Can anybody suggest a resolution as I really get the impression sky may not be how to resolve this as quickly as I'd like!
      Last edited by Isitme; 07-10-11 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Formatted stats

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Intermitant connection failure

First plug into your test socket and post your stats from there, using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

You should have a sync speed of around 20 Mb, something is preventing it, this will rule out/in your internal wiring.

By the way according to your stats the wireless is being used, your LAN is not. The problem router was the 2304N, it will have updated itself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The firmware for the Sagem 2304n has been 'fixed' but it has left the user interface very slow to respond.

Looking at those stats, your WiFi is enabled. Your router has also been connected for the past 30 minutes, but up for the past 27 hours.

This confirms that your connection has dropped.

Are you connected to the Master Socket with the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the router?

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Also could you perform a quiet line test please?

The simplest method to do this is to plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket (behind the faceplate of the Master Socket if you have an NTE5 socket) and dial '1'. Listen very carefully for any noise, particularly crackling or hiss.

Please let us know what happens.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have an NTE5 socket here, there are 5 sockets in all and the only one which is distinguishable from the others is one which has integrated DVB and satellite sockets on the face plate, but no test socket. The stats at this socket are:

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 0:02:13

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN MER 25 19 0 3171 6047 0:00:56 LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:02:13 WLAN Up 825 799 0 588362 102980 0:01:54

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 12286 kbps 945 kbps Line Attenuation 13.5 dB 8.8 dB Noise Margin 10.3 dB 15.6 dB

The noise margin here appears to be different than in the previous socket as you can see, the downstream connection is also slightly lower. I would have expected an improvement if this were the master socket so perhaps of is not?

As I was about to post this reply my connection dropped again, upon reconnection my stats (from the same socket) were:

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 0:11:14

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time

WAN MER/PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00

LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:11:14 WLAN Up 2535 2492 0 1826147 324111 0:10:55

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 5687 kbps 630 kbps Line Attenuation 18.0 dB 12.2 dB Noise Margin 7.1 dB 7.0 dB

Here the line attenuation has changed, perhaps this is a router fault as surely neither the line resistance nor the attenuation can fluctuate. Or will the stats be inaccurate immediately after reconnection?

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Vegas View Post
      Unfortunately I don't have an NTE5 socket here, there are 5 sockets in all and the only one which is distinguishable from the others is one which has integrated DVB and satellite sockets on the face plate, but no test socket.
      In which case it would make sense to fit an NTE5 along with filtered faceplate. It may not be your problem but you stand a good chance of improving the connection anyway with that many extensions in use. Do you know where the BT cable enters the building & connects to the fisrt socket?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, this is an apartment so it could be anywhere! I do have to wonder why my broadband was fine for so many months then this? I suppose ill never answer that!

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The Master Socket will have a yellow capacitor the size of a AAA battery behind its faceplate. This should be the first socket.

Could you identify the socket and post a photo of the insides please?

As a footnote, blocks of flats are normally notorious when it comes to getting the best out of their broadband. This relates to their speed rather than losing their connection though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I will try to identify the socket, I may not have time to do this until later today. To be honest I would be happy with a slow connection that wont disconnect me!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Further to this, the sky agent called back as promised and gas now escalated my issue to the customer solutions team. Last time this happened my problems stopped for about ten days although the team just said they fixed it but never explained properly what 'it' was! I will look for the master socket in any case

Broadband Expert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just note that I was experiencing the same problem, with a NEW D-Link router I received from sky, promised to call me back NEVER did has to spend an hour on hold, just speak to the highest supervisor their for a new router and of course they will send you out an old router not the 'N' router.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast