Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed loss after fault repaired

This is a discussion on Speed loss after fault repaired within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Could someone with a bit of knowledge please shed some light as to how this can occur, I'll ...

odds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Speed loss after fault repaired

Hi all,
      Could someone with a bit of knowledge please shed some light as to how this can occur, I'll give some details now to help.

Earlier this year I was able to sync at anything between 6.5 and 7.1, I then lost both phone and BB connections, engineer called, fault at the cabinet, repaired that and lost half meg connection speed.
      Then in August, same thing happened, only this time the fault was at the exchange, apparently someone had disconnected the wires and left them, that was sorted and once again half a meg lost in download speed.
      I have tried explaining this to Sky ops but they just say "that is all your line is capable of" ........ but it wasn't before Openreach 'repaired' it on two occasions.
      They have even manually configured it allegedly, and managed to get a little back, but surely it should just be exactly the same as before, after all they only connected a couple of wires back.
      So my question is, what the hell do they do that keeps making the line characteristics change everytime they touch it ?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Speed loss after fault repaired

It might help to see a little more information before going into too much detail.

Could you take a look at the link below and post your connection stats please?

How to get your router statistics

Also can you describe how you are connecting your Sky router to the telephone line (i.e. on an extension, in the master socket, with the grey ADSL cable supplied with the router, with a Sky supplied microfilter or filtered faceplate)?

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The router is connected to the test socket via a filter, internal wiring was checked on both visits and the fault was found to be external, so all I was wondering was how come the line never returns to it's original state after being 'repaired/reconnected' ?
      Don't forget that they have said that my line will only work at this speed, when I know for a fact it has never been this low for the past 2 years at least, and when they suggest it may be because of more new customers at the exchange been connected then I think you know you are pretty much banging your head against a brick wall

My Stats are as below : Using a Netgear DGN1000

System Up Time 00:03:28
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 231 260 0 193 1667 00:02:16
      LAN 10M/100M 626 647 0 1899 625 00:03:09
      WLAN 11M/54M/150M 354 95 0 524 78 00:03:12

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5469 Kbps 509 Kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.6 dB 16.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 16.8 dB

Thanks for looking.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you still have a fault in your external wiring. Getting it fixed properly will not be easy, although you should have about double the sync you have, it is not easy to get Sky's so called help to believe this.

I don't think the number on your exchange has anything to do with it. The number on the exchange would not effect the sync, only the actual throughput. Sky's slots are limited anyway, once they are filled, they are filled, they can't push any more on as BT could.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Could you download and install RouterStats Lite please?

I am wondering if your Noise Margins are changing a lot. If you could run this program and log the data then you could prove this to the people at Sky as the symptom of your problems.

As to the cause, it may help to use it to spot a pattern.

For the record you should expect a small change in the noise margin levels, but in some cases this can become quite pronounced and become an issue.

Since you are using the Test Socket, has anyone suggest a filtered faceplate? It won't cure the current line issues, but it would IMHO be a better option that your current set up.

Also has anyone checked your wiring between your home and the Green Street box to which you are connected? Take a look from the master socket and see if there are any Junction Boxes. As some idea, the following link shows some of the many designs which you might see:

Connection Boxes

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could you download and install RouterStats Lite please?
      I'll have a look into that.

Since you are using the Test Socket, has anyone suggest a filtered faceplate? It won't cure the current line issues, but it would IMHO be a better option that your current set up.
      I have a filtered faceplate, but got fed up of removing the front plate so now just have it in the test socket permanently.

Also has anyone checked your wiring between your home and the Green Street box to which you are connected?
      I pressume they did that the first time, as the fault was found to be in the cabinet.

Take a look from the master socket and see if there are any Junction Boxes. As some idea, the following link shows some of the many designs which you might see:
      There is a small junction box where the wire comes into the house, the outside line comes into that and then the wires are joined in there and go to the Master socket, but that was all checked on both occassions. There are no components in that junction box, just connectors.

However none of the above would suggest why the line /connection I had previously suddenly deteriorates simply by reconnecting/replacing a couple of wires, either at the cabinet or the exchange.

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks

Could you post a photograph of the inside of the junction box so that we can see the wiring and which type it is please?

Thanks

Well, I opened the junction box and was quite surprised actually. The last engineer had obviously removed the old push-in type connectors and replaced them with these :
      The black one is the line in, then the other goes to the Master Socket.

Thanks

They will make a good connection and shouldn't be the cause of any issues.

It will be interesting to see what RouterStats Lits shows.

I've not asked about performing a quiet line test. Could you do this please?

How? Using a corded telephone, plugged into the Test Socket, dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise (particularly clicking or hissing). It should be totally silent.

Thanks

Installed Routerstats-Lite and this is the Log file, router.txt

I don't have a corded phone at the moment to try, but I'll get on to that next

Thanks.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast