Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving House, sky talk + broadband question, how to do this?

This is a discussion on Moving House, sky talk + broadband question, how to do this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, I have sky at the moment but on Friday I pick up the keys to my new place, Iíve ...

snowscreen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving House, sky talk + broadband question, how to do this?

Hey,

I have sky at the moment but on Friday I pick up the keys to my new place, Iíve rang sky and arranged for the new dish install to happen on Sunday.

Iíd also like to have sky broadband which I believe you now also have to take out with Sky Talk. Ages ago I used to have sky & sky broadband but didnít have to have skytalk and so I kept a BT line.
      I know the house Iím moving to has a BT line in it but the previous occupant rang BT a couple of months ago and cancelled her contract with them when she moved out.

What do I need to doÖ.
      Do I need to get in and activate the BT line again, or can I just straight away get the sky broadband and talk.

At a guess I need to get in and check that the phone line still has a dial tone + to find if it has a number still attached to it, apparently I can do this by dialing 17070

If it has a dial tone then I believe I can go ahead and arrange the broadband + talk straight away with no messing about with the lineÖ.?

If I donít even have a dial tone then what? Do I need to then set one up with BT before I can organise things with Sky.
      Or can I go straight to Sky but believe Iíd also have to pay them £39 to have the new line set up with them

When I spoke to sky the other day the guy wasnít really sure of what he was telling me and was struggling to read his script

Think Iím just being impatient and will just have to see whats what once Iím in and then make calls to Sky & if needs be also BT

Cheers
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Moving House, sky talk + broadband question, how to do this?

From what has been commented on in this forum, not many people appear to be unhappy with Sky's change of policy from September.

It appears that you do now need to have Sky Talk (including the line rental) in order to have Sky Broadband now.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is a topic often debated.

Personally I have completely dumped BT after the appalling way i was treated by their call centre in India. I haven't had any issues since moving completely to Sky.

The main gripes stem from where people move away from Sky. Whether this is because they have problems keeping the same telephone number or temporary loss of service or being forced to pay a reconnection fee.

I am not suggesting that any of these will happen in your case, but some members have experienced them.

whether they are potentially important issues to you is another matter.

For me though, so long as the service is good and constant and competitively priced, I can not see any reason why I should want to change at this point.

For the record, my telephone exchange does have a large number of LLU providers, so in theory I could change to one of several companies if I wanted.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you want Sky broadband then I would advise you to go straight to them. If you go through BT you will probably have to agree to a 12-18 month contract, which would prevent you getting Sky broadband for that period.

You should see if any deals are available through the Cashback sites like Quidco. Provided you can do it all on line you can probably get enough back to pay for the connection fee.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

snowscreen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks guys

Well i've now got hold of the home phone number that used to be on the line and sky website is showing its not connected, looks like i'll have to pay the £39 afterall :-(

on the + side quidco are offering £50 cashback for taking sky broadband