Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

This is a discussion on Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, I posted about 2 weeks ago that when Sky activated my line for broadband they initially had us ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

Hey guys, I posted about 2 weeks ago that when Sky activated my line for broadband they initially had us on G.DMT at 4 meg and very stable. When DLM kicked in it moved us to ADSL2+ which resulted in a noise margin of around 0.9dB at times, I was advised on this forum to call Sky and ask to be reprofiled to G.DMT as from my stats, it would suit my line better. Having called Sky, they agreed that G.DMT would be better for my line, I got an email to say that they had carried out some tests and set my line to 4.3 meg as thats what it would suit best.

The connection has been flawless, I really cannot fault it. Downloading and streaming is fine and uninterrupted. But over the past 3 days I've noticed that during the day, the connection will drop for about 30 seconds and my WAN will reset to 0:00 uptime, this causing my sync speed to either rise by 32kbps or drop. Its not something that happens several times, it literally only happens once a day. Is it something I should be concerned about? Does it sound like it could be DLM kicking in? I keep my router on 24 hours a day.

Here are my current stats;

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 10280 11827 0 25 136 2:50:22
      LAN Up 62905 16999 0 315 40 23:14:13
      WLAN Up 911151 586651 0 12255 846 23:13:52
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4256 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 31.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 23.0 dB

2. Advertisement
      Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

Hi dankargo,

It's unlikely that DLM is making any further adjustments to your line as it will simply monitor for errors after the initial stabilisation period.

Can you tell us if your router is disconnecting at the same time each day and if you notice anything else happening, it would also be interesting to see the stats from the router around the time that this happens possibly a set of stats before and after so that we can compare this?

Thanks
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky eService Team View Post
      Hi dankargo,

It's unlikely that DLM is making any further adjustments to your line as it will simply monitor for errors after the initial stabilisation period.

Can you tell us if your router is disconnecting at the same time each day and if you notice anything else happening, it would also be interesting to see the stats from the router around the time that this happens possibly a set of stats before and after so that we can compare this?

Thanks
      Thank you for the reply. As far as I'm aware the disconnections take place at different times, really randomly. Here are my stats as of today, I haven't noticed any disconnections yet.

WAN PPPoA 1199528 1881201 0 873 0 26:57:46
      LAN Up 708706 466094 0 143 0 47:21:37
      WLAN Up 2014503 1272077 0 0 2005 47:21:16
      Connection Speed 4256 kbps 384 kbps
      Noise Margin 5.4 dB 23.0 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have been up 24 hours since your last stats so it is not a regular occurrence. I am inclined to think your noise margin is dropping to a point where your connection cannot be maintained, so you line drops out and reconnects. Quite often if the noise has come in a spike, rather than a gradual fall, you will connect again at much the same speed.

Have you run Routerstats Lite? This would show what is happening when your connection drops.
      Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Its started doing it again. Sometimes my sync will hold for over a week fine and then randomly it will disconnect and reconnect (usually at a higher sync rate of 32/64kbps difference) then this will be fine for around 24 hours and it will happen again. For example it happened at about 5pm as webpages were not loading. I checked the stats and the downstream rate was 41(xx)kbps and the noise margin was at "0.7dB". It then disconnected and reconnected at 4224 kbps. No doubt, the same thing will likely happen as its syncing at an even higher rate and my line attenuation is 53dB.

The longest it held out without dropping was around 9 days and that was when the sync rate was 3776kbps but even that ended up disconnecting and syncing at a higher rate.

What can I do to resolve this? Can I lock the noise margin or something? Its weird as the disconnects are not constant, once a day or once a week. My fear is that DLM will start again with these disconnections and errors.

I don't usually do it but I rebooted the router after the last drop in sync rate thinking maybe it would help.

Stats right now:

System Up Time: 0:15:58
      WAN PPPoA 4814 5739 0 73 163 0:14:36
      LAN Up 7497 6470 0 395 163 0:15:58
      WLAN Up 0 0 0 0 0 0:15:36
      Connection Speed 4224 kbps 384 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.6 dB 25.0 dB

Thanks

And once again at 19:15. Its re-synced lower this time so here's hoping the next drop wont be as soon.

WAN PPPoA 2332 3189 0 23 424 0:01:39
      LAN Up 97055 70447 0 13568 1525 2:06:14
      WLAN Up 72098 45065 0 12234 627 2:05:52
      Connection Speed 3904 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.5 dB 31.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.5 dB 24.0 dB

Thanks

Locking your noise margin would do no good, even if it were possible. The line is dropping out completely so the noise margin does not matter. If you run Routerstats Lite as suggested, you will probably find it drops from 7-8db to zero, then connects again immediately, as if someone were switching your line off then on again. Finding out what is causing it is difficult, as it could be anything from a fault on your line to something in your electrics that is causing it. What you could try is using a surge protector on the router. This might help if it is a local electrical problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Locking your noise margin would do no good, even if it were possible. The line is dropping out completely so the noise margin does not matter. If you run Routerstats Lite as suggested, you will probably find it drops from 7-8db to zero, then connects again immediately, as if someone were switching your line off then on again. Finding out what is causing it is difficult, as it could be anything from a fault on your line to something in your electrics that is causing it. What you could try is using a surge protector on the router. This might help if it is a local electrical problem.
      Ah I see so the chances are its not anything to do with the line not being able to hold the connection speed. I'm really not sure what could be causing it as some days its perfectly fine and others, like this evening are really bad. Would it be worth trying a different filter?

I also have a telephone splitter connecting the telephone and Sky+ box which is plugged into the phone port of the filter, I'm thinking whether it would be worth removing the Sky box and seeing if its that.

Thanks

Everything should be tried, especially removing the Sky box. These can have a very detrimental effect on the line even when properly filtered. The filters supplied by Sky are sometimes very low quality and members have found that using a high quality filter improves things immensely.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Everything should be tried, especially removing the Sky box. These can have a very detrimental effect on the line even when properly filtered. The filters supplied by Sky are sometimes very low quality and members have found that using a high quality filter improves things immensely.
      Thanks for the reply.

I changed the filters and removed the Sky box, I'm also running RouterStats to monitor things and this happened and I got another disconnect. http://i56.tinypic.com/2zzrxn6.jpg

So I think it could be an electric thing, what's weird though is that this never happened when I was with AOL Broadband and used my Netgear D834G router to connect to the internet which was for over 5 years. Could it be that the Sky router is more sensitive and if so is there anyway I can use my Netgear router with Sky Broadband to see if it holds the connection?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast