Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

This is a discussion on Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not everyone knows what G.DMT is. If they don't, then there is a good chance that they don't know how ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

Not everyone knows what G.DMT is. If they don't, then there is a good chance that they don't know how to correctly configure your line too.

As for the HomePlugs, that pair works at up to 85mbps. This is fine for many people, but you may want to look at something like what I've linked below:

TP-LINK Technologies TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Mini Powerline Starter Kit Bridge - EN, Fast EN, HomePlug AV (HPAV)

Solwise HomePlug 200Mbps with Pass Through Power Socket 200AV-PIGGY

Power consumption? Not too much. There are a variety of different types available & two standards (HomePlug & PowerLine) that won't work together. If you are short of sockets, then get a pair that have pass-through sockets. HomePlugs (and PowerLine adaptors) do not work well on extensions that have surge protection on them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You need a pass-through apapter to allow other devices to be plugged in. They are generally a bit more expensive than the ordinary ones. Something like this, although they may be found cheaper elsewhere.-
      NETGEAR 200Mbps Powerline Pass-through Adapter - Single | Ebuyer.com

The electric cost is negligible, you will not even notice they are in use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thank you both of you, I will be buying a set of these tomorrow

Meanwhile, I noticed my broadband went down again today and the stats changed a bit. Am I now on G.DMT or still ADSL2+ as the downstream sync is the highest I think its ever been. I notice the digits are not even like they seemed to always be on ADSL2+ if that makes a difference.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 177092 17126803 0 336 0 7:18:17
      LAN Up 8946182 5501321 0 21186 2911 312:59:17
      WLAN Up 8745435 5405853 0 0 907 312:58:56
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 862 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 dB 27.1 dB
      Noise Margin 4.6 dB 7.7 dB

Thanks

You are still on ADSL2+. The upstream figure is not divisible by 32 and the Line Attenuation is still the same as it was before.

What has happened is that your line speed has increased by reducing the Noise Margin.

With ADSL1 (G.DMT) the Line Attenuation would drop by around 2dB as the signal doesn't use as much of the frequency range of ADSL2+.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dankargo (28-01-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You are still on ADSL2+. The upstream figure is not divisible by 32 and the Line Attenuation is still the same as it was before.

What has happened is that your line speed has increased by reducing the Noise Margin.

With ADSL1 (G.DMT) the Line Attenuation would drop by around 2dB as the signal doesn't use as much of the frequency range of ADSL2+.
      Thank you so much for your help. I can't believe I've managed to take up 4 pages on this! I'm really sorry about that.

I've just bought the TP-Link homeplugs you suggested, a very good price on Amazon I'm hoping that this will eliminate the connection drops in the evening, maybe the extension im using at the moment is causing the problem. If it doesn't solve it, I guess using the master socket is a major advantage anyway.

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help. I can't believe I've managed to take up 4 pages on this! I'm really sorry about that.
      Set your preference to 40 posts per page and it is only 2 pages.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Don't worry about how many posts it takes to resolve an issue. some are resolved quickly, others just need a little more work.

With your HomePlugs, check whether or not you need to pair them up with each other. This would be on the installation instructions if it is required, not all need to be.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I've just had three disconnections in one hour so tonight the line is really unstable compared to earlier this week when it didn't disconnect for three days. Hopefully my homeplugs will arrive early next week so I can test on the master socket. I am not too hopeful though if I'm being honest, thinking about it when I was with AOL I didn't have any disconnection problems and I was using the same extension as I'm using now with Sky so I'm not sure if using homeplugs and moving to the master socket will actually change anything.

If they do not work the only two things I haven't tried are

1) Trying another router. Not too sure if the router could be the issue with the immediate drops in sync.

2) Disconnecting the Sky+ box from the telephone line? - I never had my old Sky box connected to my telephone line when I was with my old ISP on a solid connection. When I ordered Sky Broadband, I took the package deal which included a Sky+HD box. The terms and conditions say that the box needs to be connected to a telephone line for 12 months so I've connected it using a telephone filter (which is plugged into the telephone port of the ADSL filter). I've read that Sky occasionally ring through to the Sky+ box and as the connection seems to drop at random intervals, it got me thinking whether or not this could be the issue. I'm just in a position where I am unable to disconnect it to test.

Thanks

Actually what happens is a signal is sent by Sky over the Satellite to your STB. The STB then dials a freephone number and updates the Sky servers and also updates them with regards to any Sky Box Office events that you may have watched.

The calls are done in the early hours when most of us are asleep.

I wouldn't imagine that it you disconnected it for a few days that there would be an issue. This would allow you to have fewer issues whilst you are waiting for the HomePlugs to arrive.

Thanks

If you only have one box do not bother too much about disconnecting the Sky box. The only time a permanent connection is required is for checking that both multi room boxes are connected to the same phone line, if you don't have multi room, you do not need to be permanently connected. Connect it only if you want to order a Box Office event. There are several reports on the forum that the Sky box has caused interference and the only solution seems to be buying and using a better quality filter than that supplied by Sky.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast