Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

This is a discussion on Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think your issue is just a bad phone line, that was my problem all along, BT swapped my line ...

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Stable connection but WAN uptime reconnects every day

I think your issue is just a bad phone line, that was my problem all along, BT swapped my line from the pole back to the exchange over to a spare one and my internet is fine now. Just keep pestering

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Using a router on an extension is never a good idea. It is possible that it is introducing errors on your line and this is what is causing DLM to keep restarting.

Could I suggest that you consider fitting a shelf perhaps near to the Master Socket?

You could then place the router on the shelf out of the reach of little hands.

Tacking the power and ADSL cables against the wall should also deter the same little hands from pulling at the wires. Alternatively use some trunking to hide the wires from site.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thank you all for the replies

We had the dropwire cable going from the pole to the house replaced last year when I was with AOL and the connection was rock solid, not a single drop for weeks sometimes. Someone did suggest to me that the switch to MER on Sky Broadband could have caused the unstable line.

Scubbie, Thank you for the suggestion I think a shelf might be the way to go as well as the trunking to hide the wires from the little ones. I guess I've avoided using the master socket as it would ruin the current setup we have. All of our desktops are in use upstairs and neatly wired up to the router via ethernet. We also have one of those Freeview VOD boxes that also connects through a wired connection.

I guess its just finding an inexpensive way of changing things around which will also maintain good speed as one of the computers is used as a media system so there's a lot of HD streaming which just wouldn't work well over WiFi.

As a last resort before I begin to start moving things about is there any other suggestions that I could try which could possibly mean keeping the router upstairs? It just puzzles me that when I was on AOL the router was also using the extension and roughly the same sync speed but would never drop out. When we had Sky Talk activated a few days before Sky broadband we changed our telephone to a set of wireless handsets. I must admit the quality of voice calls is not as good as our previous phone and we get some hiss down the line that the other set didnt have - Could that be causing interference with the broadband?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      ...When we had Sky Talk activated a few days before Sky broadband we changed our telephone to a set of wireless handsets. I must admit the quality of voice calls is not as good as our previous phone and we get some hiss down the line that the other set didnt have - Could that be causing interference with the broadband?
      This is an important clue.

Could you perform a quiet line test please?

Using a corded telephone, plugged into either the Master Socket or Test Socket (preferable if you have one), with only the telephone connected, dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise on the line.

Ideally is should be totally quiet, but you may hear a little hiss. If you hear any clicking of the hiss is loud, then I would suggest that there is a line fault. Give Sky Talk a call and ask them to get BTO to fix it.

With regards to the other computers, I would agree that streaming lots of HD video over the Sky router is probably not a good idea. There are plenty of alternative solutions to consider.

Essentially you need to get a wired connection to where the other computers are. You could use a WiFi extender, but this would probably suffer with a large amount of traffic. There are two alternatives which are worth thinking about:

1. Run an Ethernet cable behind the wall, with a socket beside the router and another upstairs
      2. Use a pair of HomePlugs

Some HomePlugs have multiple LAN ports on them. A 5-Port Switch costs around 5.

Take a look at the document in this thread for further ideas:
      Extending your Home Network

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I may have to postpone the changing over to the master socket for a few months as we may be having a complete change around of the living room so I'll wait until then before I start drilling holes.

Would I definitely be better off on G.DMT, could this narrow down the number of disconnections? I had another disconnect about 10 minutes ago and here are our stats. The one good thing I'll say about being on ADSL2+ is the fact that we get a much faster upload sync which in general tends to make things quicker and is always handy when uploading videos to YouTube. I worry that moving to G.DMT will cause the download to increase but upload to decrease tremendously.

WAN MER 4295 9665004 0 246 0 0:11:02
      LAN Up 4723358 3108402 0 7733 1251 164:03:47
      WLAN Up 4985012 3189564 0 330 271 164:03:26
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.5 dB 32.7 dB
      Noise Margin 6.6 dB 4.4 dB

Secondly, I have my old Netgear router that I used whilst I was on AOL Broadband (and had no connection dropouts) is it worth me swapping my router over for a few days to see if that makes things more stable or am I risking my connection with Sky Broadband if I do that? I mean, there's no point me trying it if I get a letter/phone call to say they are going to kick me off for not using their equipment.

Thanks

With your current Line Attenuation I do believe that you would be better off on G.DMT. There is a 'zone' where ADSL2+ struggles to perform and ADSL1 (aka G.DMT) performs better and as things stand, you appear to be in that zone.

As for your other router, by all means extract the details from your Sky router and give it a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With your current Line Attenuation I do believe that you would be better off on G.DMT. There is a 'zone' where ADSL2+ struggles to perform and ADSL1 (aka G.DMT) performs better and as things stand, you appear to be in that zone.

As for your other router, by all means extract the details from your Sky router and give it a try.
      Thanks Scubbie, I just phoned Sky BB and they said they'd changed some things and will monitor my line for the next 24 hours to see how things are going. Here are the stats they changed to, not to sure whether its still ADSL2+

Thanks

The download speed is an odd number. This immediately confirms that you are still on ADSL2+.

ADSL1 speeds are divisible by 32.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The download speed is an odd number. This immediately confirms that you are still on ADSL2+.

ADSL1 speeds are divisible by 32.
      Oh that is strange, I told the agent I spoke with that I've been getting disconnections from about 5pm every night and mentioned that the line would most likely perform better on G.DMT as DLM automatically put me on ADSL2+. He kept me on the phone for about 5 minutes while he performed some tests on the line, apparently they were putting some kind of signal down the line to test the stability. He then told me that they had optimised the line and that they would test it for 24 hours. This must mean all they did was uncap the line and put the speed up - which I'm guessing will probably cause more disconnections.

Thanks

I don't know what went through the guy's mind. They can see things that you and I can't see, but the advise I gave is based upon what I have seen others get.

It is also another good reason why we do ask people to post their stats up after any adjustment, which you did do.

By all means watch your connection over the next day and if they call you back tomorrow ask nicely if they could please try changing your connection to ADSL1 (G.DMT).

There is one thing that concerns me though, this is the third time that you have mentioned a specific time when your line resets. This indicates the potential for interference from outside. If possible, would you be able to follow the route of your telephone line back to the telephone exchange with a handheld radio?

I am thinking that you may have some electrical issue and possibly it could be in the form of REIN. Something as simple as a faulty street light or traffic signals could cause a problem. Other causes in the past have included faulty TVs.

::. Kitz - REIN .::

Check your local neighbourhood too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast