Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anytime+ Broadband Requirements

This is a discussion on Anytime+ Broadband Requirements within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is it obligatory that you have to have a Sky Broadband connection to get Sky Anytime+ and, if so, can ...

skybluesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02467
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Anytime+ Broadband Requirements

Is it obligatory that you have to have a Sky Broadband connection to get Sky Anytime+ and, if so, can this be considered to be restrictive trade practice?
      Sky have been clever to advertise no price increases for their TV subscriptions however the phone rental has gone up and I feel I want to price compare a Broadband / Line Rental / Calls package again. I'm paying 24.75 for all this now - hardly cheap is it? And the service if pretty naff.
      Quite frankly I don't really need a landline anymore so is this an obligatory requirement as well?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Anytime+ Broadband Requirements

You're more than welcome to get a 3G router. Where a good signal is present you can get good download speeds.

Someone whom I chat with uses one of these and it costs her under 20 per month. She can take it anywhere she likes.

There is the drawback of a low monthly limit compared to Sky's Unlimited service, but then someone needs to maintain the network of cables that supply your Internet.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it obligatory that you have to have a Sky Broadband connection to get Sky Anytime+ and, if so, can this be considered to be restrictive trade practice?
      Yes, you must have Lite or Unlimited, Connect does not qualify. Why would it be restrictive to trade practice? It is a perk Sky give to its broadband users in the same way that BT give free WiFi access its users. Should I complain that they are using restrictive practice because I can't get free access because I have Sky broadband?

You need a land line to get ADSL broadband, I don't think any provider will supply a line for broadband only, although with the wide use of mobile phones it may happen in the future.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skybluesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02467
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If you can only use Sky Broadband to receive Anytime+ isn't that restrictive? If Broadband deals elsewhere are better (cost and service) should we be able to make a choice as to which BB service we receive? My BB service from Sky is very slow so everything in the house now lags - laptops, phones, Sky etc. If I was able to get a faster service I'd be happier but it wouldn't work with Sky Anytime+.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Sure it is 'restrictive' in respect that you are only currently able to receive Anytime+ when using their LLU equipment to access you Internet.

However if I wanted to receive BT Vision, i would have to cancel my Sky Telephone & Sky Broadband. I would then have to take out a telephone & broadband package with either BT, Post Office or another BT Wholesale reseller that BT has approved.

Personally I would like to see Sky open up Anytime+ so that non-Sky broadband customers can view the content. In their recent announcement regarding the introduction of more Box Office content for movies, they cited 'Security & Reliability' as reasons for excluding other ISPs.

As far as reliability is concerned, surely O2, BT, TalkTalk, Virgin, etc., can all offer a good reliable service? If they couldn't then people would be moving in droves to Sky. As for security, then it would appear that they are more concerned with people hacking the content and watching it when they shouldn't be able to. Typically this would be outside the UK.

Before anyone suggests that there might be issues with bandwidth, BBC iPlayer, the most popular video streaming service in the UK, has now gone global with people outside the UK being expected to subscribe.

ITV Player, 4 on Demand and Demand 5 are also available to people on various ISPs.

Sky wants to restrict it's on-line content to people in the UK only at present. Subscribers in Eire cannot receive Anytime+ because Sky doesn't have a broadband service in Eire. These people pay the same price for the TV service as you or I, albeit in Euros not Pounds.

So yes, sky is restricting the Anytime+ content at the present moment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you can only use Sky Broadband to receive Anytime+ isn't that restrictive?
      It is restricted, but that does not make it a restrictive trade practice, which would be illegal.

If Broadband deals elsewhere are better (cost and service)
      Exactly, Anytime+ is part of Sky's broadband service, so you should take that into account when choosing a broadband supplier.

My BB service from Sky is very slow so everything in the house now lags
      If you are a long way from the exchange it will be just as slow, or even slower, with another ISP. Why not post in the Help section and see if your connection can be improved. Include your router stats.

How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.