Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

This is a discussion on Internet keeps dropping connection, please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I am new here and just wanted to see if anyone can offer me any help with my ...

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Red face Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

Hi all I am new here and just wanted to see if anyone can offer me any help with my internet issues. I have sky broadband connect for just over a year which has been poor to say the least but I am finally doing something about it.

My problem is that my broadband connection keeps dropping off, the "@" light on my router turns from green to nothing, then to solid orange, then flashing orange, then back to green. This happens very regularly, and more frequently at peak times ie 6pm to 9pm weekdays and all weekend.

Now to tell you what I have done to try and fix this problem. I have removed ALL ring wiring from the house, the only phone socket in the house is now the master BT Open Reach nte5a socket. I have removed the faceplate from the socket so everything is now running from the test socket.

In to the test socket is a microfilter, I have 5 of these from 3 different manufactures and tested them all. In to the microfilter is a double rj11 adapter with my cordless phone and sky box phone cable plugged in, with the router plugged in to the adsl.

From the router I have 25m CAT 5e cable running to a desktop pc. I also have a wireless xbox 360, wireless netbook and smart phone that connect to the router. All Ethernet ports on the router have been tested with different cables.

I have been monitoring my router stats like a hawk this past week and this is what has been happening:

For a start my upstream stats never change, they are as follows

Con Speed 448kbps
      Line Attn 31.5db
      Noise Mrg 23.0db (slight fluctuation of 1-2db from time to time)

My downstream stats change a lot:

Con Speed 2432kbps (fluctuates from around 2900-2000)
      Line Attn 50.5db (Never changes)
      Noise Mrg 15.3db (fluctuates from 19 db during the day to 0db at evening and weekends)

Now as I said I have been keeping an eye on the stats box with a 3second poll interval and have seen what happens when my connection drops. This is that the downstream noise margin suddenly drops from around 15-19db to 4db, then my connection is reset totally.

One more point I have to make is that when my phone rings the internet sometimes loses connection and the "@" does its orange then green thing, this happens intermittently, this also happens with outgoing calls but much less often. This also happens when no phone is plugged in and only the router straight from the microfilter is connected.

My local exchange is EMETWLL (Etwall, Derbyshire) SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Etwall (EMETWLL) Exchange

So in summary, sorry for the long post but this place is my last port of call before I have to give in and ring sky. Does anyone on here have any idea of at least what this issue is? Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by mjstokes85 View Post
      One more point I have to make is that when my phone rings the internet sometimes loses connection and the "@" does its orange then green thing, this happens intermittently, this also happens with outgoing calls but much less often. This also happens when no phone is plugged in and only the router straight from the microfilter is connected.

My local exchange is EMETWLL (Etwall, Derbyshire) SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Etwall (EMETWLL) Exchange

So in summary, sorry for the long post but this place is my last port of call before I have to give in and ring sky. Does anyone on here have any idea of at least what this issue is? Thanks in advance!
      Ring sky and have it reported as a high resistance fault. A special faults engineer will probably have to be booked to fix it. Once your line is fixed you may want to consider getting broadband from talktalk. It should work out cheaper and be free of throttling.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Sky Connect isn't a very good package IMHO. Sky has to call through to BTO in order to get any adjustments made to the line and if you go over the daily limit of 1.3Gb too many times, you end up getting your connection speed throttled to the dark ages.

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Could you re-post your stats, but include the uptimes as well please? This will show whether it is a LAN or WAN issue.

How to get your router statistics

Also could you perform a simple line test by completing the following task (after you've taken the stats):

Using a corded telephone, plug it straight into the test socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any noise (i.e. crackling, hiss, etc.). The line should be totally silent. If there is any noise, then call your line provider (i.e. whom you pay your line rental to) and let them know that you have a line fault.

Do not mention the fact that you are having problems with your Broadband as this will serve to confuse things. Your Line Provider is responsible for the quality of the telephone line from the test socket to the telephone exchange. If this happens to be Sky Talk, then there should be no problems to worry about.

Edit: Just seen Exdee's response. I missed the phone issues. Again this is your line provider's responsibility.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the speedy replies. Here are my stats taken now.

System Up Time: 04:33:30
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 01:43:03
      LAN 623980 514137 32837 3934 04:33:30
      WLAN 24503 21155 3168 663 01:42:54

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2432 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.5db 31.5db
      Noise Margin 15.8db 23.0db

After around 9pm like I said this issue doesn't happen too much, it is more at peak time. Today the connection has dropped 19 times since 5pm. Also not sure why the WAN stats are all 0, sometimes they are 0 sometimes they are full of numbers?!

I will try plugging a corded phone straight in to the test socket tomorrow, I have one ready to test with! Does it sound like some kind of line issue to you then? I just don't want to be fobbed off by sky when I ring them! Where I used to live I had virgin fibre optic cable broadband 20mb. Not once in 8 years did it disconnect, I never really knew how lucky I was!

Thanks

It could be a line issue, but I don't like how the WLAN reset at the same time as the WAN time.

I trust someone else can confirm my suspicion, but I personally would suspect a router or PSU problem first if the Quiet Line Test comes back clean.

Just in case:
      WAN = Wide Area Network (your ADSL connection)
      WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network (your WiFi)

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I will do a quiet line test tonight after work and I will try swapping the plug the router is in. The power light never goes off on the router so it never appears to be losing any power. As for the WLAN resetting I don't really know about that, sometimes it resets when the WAN resets and other times it doesn't, it seems the WLAN resets when the WAN connection has dropped several times in a row which results in my connection speed being lowered.

Thanks

Just to confirm the router I have is the sagem charcoal black style one, not the d-link as I had previously put on my profile.

Sky User - Sagem F@ST 2504 Solid as a Rock

That one.

Thanks

This being the case, as a good diagnostic tool, you may wish to consider this one:

Sky router tool

Thanks

Thanks, I will get some more detailed stats logged tonight and post them up.

Thanks

Just done a quite line test and all was fine? One thing I did notice with regards to the power supply to the router is that when i switch the router power off at the back the power supply makes a very high pitch squealing noise, anyone else got this?! It then remained to squeal as I pulled it from the socket, then stopped about 5 seconds later.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast