Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

This is a discussion on Internet keeps dropping connection, please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I ran one at half 6 and the other just now and have to run one more tomorrow, but the ...

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

I ran one at half 6 and the other just now and have to run one more tomorrow, but the woman on the phone said it won't hurt running another 2 tomorrow. Hopefully this will get sorted out, my internet lost connection 30 times on Monday night, only 6 times yesterday, and 17 times today.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Had a quick look at my router this morning before leaving for work and the "@" light is totally off now and flashing a quick orange flash once a minute?! It has rained all night, I am thinking possible water ingress at the telegraph pole, cabinet or exchange? Would that be likely?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The Green Street Cabinets need to be weather resistant as they have a lot of DC electric going through them. I've also heard a fan cooling some local ones where I am.

If the rain is affecting things, then it points to an issue where the joints are. These joints can be on walls or under the ground.

Wind normally affects overhead cables, particularly when a tree is close to the line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

It was rather windy last night, maybe the join at the telegraph pole or where it joins on my house is loose? When you say join, how exactly is it joined? Anyway I will call sky back tonight, at least I am not going mad and there is a fault on the line somewhere, do you know how accurately they can find where a fault lies?

Thanks

Issues with joints can be anywhere.

Your may have a junction box on the outside of your home for the telephone line, or it may go uninterrupted all the way to the Green Street Box.

I mentioned that overhead cables are prone to damage from trees. Essentially this can cause a break in the cable at any point along its length and it gets stressed with each blow. Normally a break will be near to where it is hit, but BTO will normally replace the whole affect length of cable.

The tree (as in my example) will also need to be trimmed back. If this were on your property, then it is your responsibility. It gets more complicated elsewhere.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Just got off the phone to sky and an open reach engineer is coming weds morning. Man at sky did some line tests and said that the connection was "all over the place". As for trees there are none near the line, it runs from the top of my house to an old wooden telegraph pole, then the cabinet is at the end of the street about 0.2 miles away according to google maps. The exchange is then about 1.6 miles away as the crow flies. Fingers crossed for weds!

Thanks

Well BT are due anytime from now until 1pm so lets hope they a) turn up on time, and b) fix this problem! I will update later when they have been!

bbtech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: YEOVIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Any updates, out of interest?
      How to get your router statistics
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

Thanks

Well it has taken me till now to post the update because my internet at home doesn't work at all now after yesterdays latest **** up.

BT engineer arrived at 9:15am, tested my line, went to the exchange, came back 45 mins later saying he had to replace the length of cable in the exchange as it a) wasn't even plugged in properly, and b) was making contact with someone elses line. Which I imagine explains my intermittent connection. Anyway he tested the line again at my socket, said it seemed fine, got me to go on the internet on my laptop and get the router page up, came on fine. He said then to leave it the evening to go on the net so it could sync up. Fine I thought. He left at around 11:30 and I was very happy.

I kept my eye on the router and at 12:30 the @ light turned to solid amber and stayed like it for 1 hour until the phone rang, it then re-synced. I left for work at 2:30 and the @ light was still green. The engineer did say it may drop off a few times whilst it syncs up. Anyway I get in from work about half 5, orange light on solid till 7pm. Surely something was not right so I turned the router off and on and the green @ light came on, I got the router page up and the stats to find the downstream noise margin was -2.5db (MINUS). I rebooted the router, checked the stats, it synced at 4096 where as before It barely reached 2500, the noise margin downstream was 6db, then 5, then 3, the minus 2.5 again. So I rang sky (AGAIN). I told the man what had happened, I said the noise margin is in the minus figures, and he said that won't make any difference (really?). I put the phone down as requested, he did another line test, rang back and said that what has happened is you can't start a PPP session. He checked I was on the right speed at there end and checked my IP and MAC and said all was fine. He then said it is not a Sky problem and forwarded the fault to BT again. He said they might be able to sort it remotely, if not an engineer will have to come again. I said who arranges that then as I am at work all day every day and he said BT will send sky the date, so what if I am at work? He said I don't know. He said if nothing is sorted by tonight ring Sky again.

As of this morning the @ is still solid orange.
      Anyway a few questions and points here. When I reboot the router via the 192.168.0.1 page I can get on the internet for about 10 seconds whilst the downstream noise margin is above 6db, then as soon as it drops below that, nothing.

Why is my noise margin going in to minus figures?!

Why is everyone at BT and SKY so inept, I feel I know more about how to fix this problem than they do, by that I mean the BT engineer turning up and asking me what the problem is, sorry, didn't sky tell you?! Then he said, actually I might be your xbox, yeh, the xbox that is not turned on is making the internet go off. He then asked me what all the lights on the router mean? (Is he not trained?)

Does anyone know what might be wrong here?!
      Last edited by mjstokes85; 13-10-11 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks

Some of the people at Sky don't know what they are doing, whilst many others are more than competent.

Unfortunately in this instance it appears that the BTO Engineer has not correctly finished his work and someone must come back and finish the task.

Personally I would insist that they return promptly as they job should not have been left in the current state.

Good luck and remember to keep calm when talking with Sky as it would not have been their doing. Sky's hands are tied when it comes to getting the work completed on your telephone line. They must engage the work of a BTO Engineer and cannot use their own people.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast