Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

This is a discussion on Internet keeps dropping connection, please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That's up to you, but I don't see telling them to stick their Connect where the sun don't shine as ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

That's up to you, but I don't see telling them to stick their Connect where the sun don't shine as letting them win.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky just called back, BT engineer number 4 is coming on Wednesday morning, I must be costing Sky a fortune needing all these BTO visits

Thanks

The have some strange ideas about economy. They will quite happily send out 2 or 3 routers then 3 or 4 engineers, but have to be pushed into sending a broadband trained one who could probably fix the problem in one visit. They may cost more, but will usually find the source of the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well from what the sky man said my problem has been escalated within BT, so hopefully that means this engineer will be more use than the one who said "I think it might be your game box making this happen" referring to my unplugged xbox.

Thanks

Right BT engineer 4 has just left after 3 hours at my house and the exchange. The pair quality test showed a fault at the exchange, god knows why the other 3 engineers didn't pick it up. However the fault was to do with the telephone equipment and not the broadband equipment so he said it was unlikely to make a difference. He ran all his tests over and over all passing fine. He rang BT wholesale and got them to test, they said it was fine. Just as he was packing up the internet started going off again. Orange @ light then resyncing. He said he has never before seen what my internet is doing and has said it is possibly now 3 things. Number 1) my sky box phone line is interfering somehow but he said this is highly unlikely. Number 2) Sky have the wrong PPP settings for me, which he said is very likely. Number 3) The exchange equipment needs totally changing as a last resort. But basically he said, go fibre optic and leave sky.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

#4 Equipment at the exchange is faulty and BTO need to do their job correctly & change your connection and not try to force a sale for FTTC on to their BT Retail network

Ofcom would love their advice in writing. As a part of the regulations BTO are obliged to work independently and not force people onto BT's network.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Well I am still having the same problem so have called sky again. Being raised with BT again, expecting a call back tomorrow with regards to new exchange equipment.

Look at these for crazy stats!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!-router-stats-lite-9.11.11.jpg  

Thanks

Ofcom would love their advice in writing. As a part of the regulations BTO are obliged to work independently and not force people onto BT's network.
      Maybe a bit hard Scubbie. Aren't we always telling users to get out of Connect as soon as they can? What it comes down to is do you want a rubbish service from Connect or a high speed service with Fibre? Even if the OP's problem is fixed 100% he is still going to have a rubbish service with a low speed and throttling as a bonus.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Maybe a bit hard Scubbie. Aren't we always telling users to get out of Connect as soon as they can? What it comes down to is do you want a rubbish service from Connect or a high speed service with Fibre? Even if the OP's problem is fixed 100% he is still going to have a rubbish service with a low speed and throttling as a bonus.
      Yes the general advice for Connect users is to dump it. This is based on the connection speed being throttled if you go over the limit for a few days.

A poor connection means that there is a fault. For me it is irrespective of the quality of the product as to whether or not BTO should fix the line.

To me it sounds like BTO can't be bothered fixing a competitor's ADSL connection because they want to sell BT's products.

This is anti-competitive and specifically breaks Ofcom's rules.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

To be honest, I doubt if the BTO engineer cares one way or another whether someone goes to fibre, it will not put anything in his pocket. He was advising changing to a better product, which in my eyes is a good thing. I also doubt very much if he was speaking on behalf of BT Openreach, which is all Ofcom would be interested in.

This is not a case of a new user have difficulty getting set up, it has been going on for more than a year. Why Mjstokes has put up with it for so long I don't know. With fibre available at about the same cost as he is paying I would have been long gone. That way Sky would have been punished for not getting it fixed. When you get down to it, it is their fault for not putting their foot down long ago and demanding that the problem with the line be properly fixed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast