Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

This is a discussion on Internet keeps dropping connection, please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by mjstokes85 Forget that, it dropped, re synced at 23db and has dropped 15 times in the past ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Internet keeps dropping connection, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by mjstokes85 View Post
      Forget that, it dropped, re synced at 23db and has dropped 15 times in the past hour.
      I think you have exactly the same problem as I've been having. In that the connection will drop at really random intervals but for some hours it will work flawlessly.

I'm starting to believe that it could be a router problem, currently trying to use my old Netgear router and see if that makes a difference because when I was with AOL and used it I never had a problem but since moving to Sky I've been getting these drops.

2. Advertisement
      mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Thanks

The longest my connection has ever held is 17 hours, I have never made it one day without at least 10 drops, normally get between 50 and 100 a day. I have tried the dlink I was sent originally and the sagem they sent me earlier this week and my problem is still the same. When my connection syncs at a lower speed it holds for much longer, but it normally syncs at between 3000 and 2300, once it synced at 1800 and that is when it was stable for 17 hours, trouble is I have no idea why it synced low or how I get it to sync lower again.

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The longest my connection has ever held is 17 hours, I have never made it one day without at least 10 drops, normally get between 50 and 100 a day. I have tried the dlink I was sent originally and the sagem they sent me earlier this week and my problem is still the same. When my connection syncs at a lower speed it holds for much longer, but it normally syncs at between 3000 and 2300, once it synced at 1800 and that is when it was stable for 17 hours, trouble is I have no idea why it synced low or how I get it to sync lower again.
      Have you tried calling them and asking if you could be moved to G.DMT (thats if you are not already on it) because by default they put me on ADSL2+ to begin with and my line couldnt handle it and was really unstable. I just called and asked to be switched to G.DMT and my connection has been a lot more stable, I've only been getting about 3 drops a day since.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As he is on Connect, that is what he is on. If I had fibre available I would not put up with it. Even when it does not drop, it will still be throttled at peak times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

With me being on connect sky said they can't even test my line from there end or make any changes to anything, they said they can't even run DLM again which I am sure is a lie. After tomorrows 3rd BTO visit and probable failure to fix my fault I will be leaving.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

With me being on connect sky said they can't even test my line from there end or make any changes to anything, they said they can't even run DLM again which I am sure is a lie. After tomorrows 3rd BTO visit and probable failure to fix my fault I will be leaving.
      Sadly Sky staff do not have full access to the systems to configure a BT Wholesale line (i.e. Sky BB Connect).

I believe that what should happen is that your call is passed to CST and someone there should initiate a call to BTW to get the line speed corrected.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

To be honest Sky seem to absolutely no idea on how to fix my issue, and I know what will happen tomorrow morning, the BTO engineer will plug his fancy machine in to my socket, say "well this 2500 quid bit of kit can't be wrong" just like the last two did, then leave. Is it me, am I being simple, but surely a BTO engineer should look at the wiring outside the house, the join to the house and telegraph pole, or is that a daft idea from me? Maybe they are scared of using their ladders. I am on course for a record number of drops today, I have had 35 since 2:30pm and it's not even 6pm yet!

Thanks

3rd engineer has just left. He ran all his tests again saying the line is excellent and has no issues. He then rang sky and got quite mad that he is the 3rd engineer out to me. The BTO thinks my problem is sky are forcing my speed too high for my attenuation. He said it needs capping at 1.5-2mb and that 2.5-3.5 that I am getting is causing all these drop outs. Sky are meant to be ringing back, but the BTO said the man he spoke to was useless and that 90% of BTO call outs are for people with sky broadband!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

My polite answer to his comments is simple: The Line Attenuation indicate that your connection should be able to support a faster speed. You are not privileged to see the CRC errors (hard errors in the signal between you and the exchange) and that Sky has not indicated what these are to you.

As for the disconnections, it is more likely that the quality of the copper wire being used is below the required standard (i.e. copper coated aluminium) for a broadband connection and/or that the connections between your home and the telephone exchange are worn out and require replacing.

This being the case, and using the Government's stated target that they are wanting to get almost everyone above 2Mb by 2015, I strongly suspect that BTO are not actively helping the Government to achieve this target.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Well his machine says that there are no errors at all on the line, he ran the test 3 times and it was fine. Since he has gone I have had 25 drops already. Sky still haven't called back and I am back to square one again. The last engineer said all the cables in the area are copper, some in another area close are aluminium though. Any suggestions on what I should do now?

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast