Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using your own router? Low sync ...

This is a discussion on Using your own router? Low sync ... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm a bit suspect of the Sky router atm, I'm not sure it's 100% so I was thinking of ...

vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Using your own router? Low sync ...

Hi, I'm a bit suspect of the Sky router atm, I'm not sure it's 100% so I was thinking of using my own router to rid that as the possible reason my connection is crap. Is it advisable to use your own? I'm a PC engineer but network stuff is not my bag. I understand it but I'm not an expert. To this end, would you recommend I get my own router and use that? I've heard the white original router I'm using isn't much use anyway.

While I'm here though, the reason I'm asking is that my connection has suddenly gone from average 10 - 13 meg sync to around 5-6. No idea why, nothing changed my end. I've rebooted and resync'd but no luck. It may be temperary but it's been a couple of days now and no change. I REALLY don't want to phone Sky because I have trouble understanding them for one and I don't want to start ripping my comp to bits when I know nothing has changed here. They never seem to want to accept it's their end until you get to the more technical staff members but getting there is a pain in the dumper.

Here's the info from Sky Router Tool if it's any use

Downstream Upstream
      Sync Rate: 5369 Kbps 986 Kbps
      Max Rate: 6696 Kbps 983 Kbps
      Attenuation: 33 dB 20.9 dB
      SNR Margin: 6.9 dB 7.4 dB
      ADSL Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Average Error Rate: 20.19 CRC Errors/hr

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Advertisement
      vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Using your own router? Low sync ...

In the couple of minutes it's taken me to re-read and edit this post, Sky Router Tool reports the Average Error Rate is now 190.35 CRC Errors/hr ... Is this good? What is this and how does it work?

Thanks.

EDIT lol, refreshed the info and it's now 1352.94 CRC Errors/hr surely that's not right is it? Any ideas?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Something isn't right with that error count.

Any noise or issues on your landline telephone?
      How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets - if so, how is that connected to the socket?

vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy.

Any noise or issues on your landline telephone?

Not according to the BT line test 17070

How many telephone sockets do you use?

Just the one, it has a BT ADSL socket which has an extension from one side of the room to the other. All fitted by BT. Only one phone in with the ADSL in the socket.

Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?

Extension socket.

Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?

The grey one, to a ADSL socket on the wall, which then extends to the phone socket near the door. I've plugged straight into the main socket, taking the faceplate off and still get the same thing.

Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets - if so, how is that connected to the socket?

No.

Atm the stats are

4246 Kbps 942 Kbps
      Max Rate: 5392 Kbps 905 Kbps
      Attenuation: 33.5 dB 15.3 dB
      SNR Margin: 6.4 dB 6 dB
      Average Error Rate: 4329.54 CRC Errors/hr

It started at over 13000 CRC errors and is slowly dropping this time instead of increasing, I've just unplugged the power from teh router to reset it.

EDIT

OK, I've just refreshed the Sky Router Tools info and it said that the max rate was 11040 so I did a resync and the stats showed this!

12402 Kbps 1110 Kbps
      Max Rate: 14780 Kbps 1150 Kbps
      Attenuation: 32 dB 20.1 dB
      SNR Margin: 7.1 dB 8.6 dB
      Average Error Rate: 1912.77 CRC Errors/hr

I don't get it. I did nothing and it's shot up. Could this be down to the weather? This indian summer? Could it be Sky or BT working at their end? This is the first time it's gone over 5meg since I first asked days ago and is coincidence that it's now shot up. Should I leave it and put it down to something out of my hands or should I push it and try and find out why it did it in the first place?

cheers.

vandinz Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quick update.

It dropped off again to 4.5meg and back to 13meg 5 minutes later, all with me doing nothing. I have noticed that the line atten is 32db when the connection is good and at 33.5 when it drops. Is that anything? Apart from that could this be

A) Sky?

B) A line issue, so I should phone BT?

C) The hot weather?

D) My router on the way out?

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You have a line issue somewhere

you need to plug it into the test port on the master socket and post us the stats

this removes any extensions from the equation