Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Up and down

This is a discussion on Up and down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Thought i would add my 6 pence worth. I am a Sky Max customer switched from Tiscali which ...

shorty07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Up and down

Hi all,

Thought i would add my 6 pence worth.

I am a Sky Max customer switched from Tiscali which itself took 6 weeks)

Using a Mac, the Netgear Router provided by Sky with the Wireless disabled. Run through an Aiport Express so i can access AirTunes and printer wirelessly.

Problems;

Connection simly drops off sometimes. Either have to wait for it to come back - minutes. Or sometimes have to restart the router and wait.

Connection Speed - Sky told me when i ordered that my line could handle 16.5mb - the most is have ever got is 7.5 (not bad) but that was a one off - usually its around 3/4mb - not even a quarter of what it could do.

If i connect onto the router - i can see this..

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 15323 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 766 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

So why isn't that coming through ??

Contactinging support - upto 80 minutes wait ? WHAT ?????

Have connected to the main BT socket(no extensions etc) and still the same. Also connected direct to the router via cable (so no going wireless) still the same.

I would have expected to get at least half of whats advertisied -

A lot of the time is crawls a just 200-500 kbs - just not acceptable - its just so flaky and up and down - i never know how this thing is going to behave - the support guys are a joke ! some guy told me to unplug the phone/sky socket - which would have of course disconnected us - which he said i would need to call him back as they can't make outgoing calls... !!!!

I am a support engineer by trade - had i given that advice it would have been followed by a compaint and a trip to my boss' office.

So Sky - what the hell is going on ?? Why does it drop off completely 3/4 times a day ? why does it slow down so its only just fast than leaving my house and hand delevering my email. I pay for the top service - i do expect to see it. Its been 4 weeks of struggling now - started to get hacked off.

Thanks

Marc
      (with slightly less hair than i had 6 weeks ago)

2. Advertisement
      Amaboknaai is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Marc

There could be a nunber of reasons:

1. Contention ratio - bear in mind that 16Mbps is only a "Theoretical Maximum" and not a guaranteed rate. There are other users connected to the same the DSLAM at the exchange end of the line who simultaneously use the ADSL connection.
      2. You haven't posted your statistics ie your SNR and line noise margins, but suspect that you can't and will not get get a stable connection of 16Mb.
      3. Go to samknows.com and check your distance from the exchange / which exchange you are on / their "guesstimate" at the max speed you can potentially get.
      4. On your Mac, tweak your MTU and you probably will be fine with 1492 - download one of the utilities - do a search on macupdate.com (cocktail?)

As a support engineer, I would advise you to post this information for a more complete answer. You will probably have to get Tier 3 to reduce your connection from a theoretical 16Mb to a more stable and reasonable speed (you mention that you are getting a download speed of 200-500 kbs - is this definitely kbs or possibly kbps or KBps - please specify). If it is 200 - 500 KBps, then that is a very good speed, if not a stable one at 16Mbps. Your line stats probably won't support the top end speed and this is most likely why you are dropping your connection and having to reset your router.

I am sure that you understand that there are no SLA's with ADSL, and the quoted maximum speeds are only Theoretical Max's.

ROBBIE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NORTHOLT
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi,
      I'm having exactly the same problems, here are the stats;

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12777 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 1 7.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 12.0 db

Although I know idea what most of these mean in real terms it's driving me mad. The best rate I've ever tested is 3185kbps down and 623 kbps up.

I live 377 meters (I can even see it from the garden) from the Northolt exchange, and was told that I would have no problem at all getting 16MB.

While I'm aware that 3000kbps is respectable, it's not what I paid for and it's unreliable. I was far better off with my previous provider (ZEN Internet) at a 2Mb connection which in 18 months usage never dropped off once.

If you manage to figure out a way to resolve your issues, please let me know so I can sleep again at night.

shorty07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Same here.

My exchage is just 3 roads away. Speeds just some time trickles away until nothing.
      But i frequenyl drops off completely - doing my nut in !

I do belive it will improve - a company like Sky has to get this sorted !

Its nothing my end. Have checked connections, cut out extension cales etc...

Gonna have to wai i guess !

Marc

ROBBIE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NORTHOLT
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking

Hi Shorty07,

I just tried following the instructions on this thread Optimising your Broadband Connection as I thought what have I got to lose and my connection jumped from downloading at 3.5Mb to 11Mb instantly.

This still isn't what I was supposed to be getting but I'm certainly less unhappy.

If you try it, be careful to read the instruction fully (even print them) and don't forget to tick that backup button so you can undo changes if it doesn't work.
      Robbie

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Glad to see you have improved things Robbie, I was just about to suggest that