Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Any throttling?

This is a discussion on Any throttling? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, being a new customer and using the broadband to download files for the first proper time this weekend. ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Any throttling?

Hey all, being a new customer and using the broadband to download files for the first proper time this weekend. So far in the past 3 days I've downloaded a 3GB file, a 2.5 GB torrent and 1GB worth of music on iTunes. This doesnt include YouTube streaming which we all use daily in the house.

I'm on the Unlimited plan at £7.50 a month but do Sky throttle if they think you've downloaded too much over a period as I recall Virgin Media do this even though their package is stated as Unlimited.

Not a problem if they do, it just means I'll have to cut down on the large file downloading and torrents.

2. Advertisement
      imdag2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNUPK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Any throttling?

sky do not throttle, neither do they have a download fair use, as long as you are on sky unlimited and not connect. if you are unlimited you are free to do what you feeel like, sky do not even slow you down in the evenings like others do.

FTTC Connection: download:40,000. upload:10,000. 5ms ping
      ADSL Speed:
      Connection Speed 18013 kbps 1087 kbps 16db 7db attenuation7db 7db noise
      Download: 15351 Kbit/s
      Upload : 957 kbit/s
      Connects : 2891 conn/min Ping: 19 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I've just double checked the exchange in your profile. You should be on Sky BB Unlimited.

Torrents depend very much on who is uploading at the time and whom your computer is connecting to. Limit your upload speed to around 60% of the maximum that you connection allows. Any higher than this and the torrents will interfere with any other Internet activity.

It is possible that your connection speed is limiting things for you. Could you post your router stats?

How to get your router statistics

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've just double checked the exchange in your profile. You should be on Sky BB Unlimited.

Torrents depend very much on who is uploading at the time and whom your computer is connecting to. Limit your upload speed to around 60% of the maximum that you connection allows. Any higher than this and the torrents will interfere with any other Internet activity.

It is possible that your connection speed is limiting things for you. Could you post your router stats?

How to get your router statistics
      Thank you both for the replies

Yep of course I can do that. Here they are as of 23:17. I live on a very busy main road and the speed here has always been average, thankfully however I haven't had any disconnections so downloads are seamless. I tend to let the torrents download overnight though so it isnt much of a problem usually.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4047 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 dB 32.6 dB
      Noise Margin 3.2 dB 12.5 dB

Thanks

your noise seems very low, sky's target is around 7, and you are well below this, if DLM has not already finished on your line it may decrease your speed to keep in line with sky's target. also if DLM is running this can also cause your line to slow as your line is being tested and can fluctuate,however if i am not mistaken DLM normally runs at night (don't quote me on that)

ADSL Speed:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imdag2 View Post
      your noise seems very low, sky's target is around 7, and you are well below this, if DLM has not already finished on your line it may decrease your speed to keep in line with sky's target. also if DLM is running this can also cause your line to slow as your line is being tested and can fluctuate,however if i am not mistaken DLM normally runs at night (don't quote me on that)
      Yeah I thought the noise was a little low. DLM finished about a week ago and it ended on 2Mb. After a quick phone call they manually re-configured the line to just under 4Mb. Noise margin seems to go low at night but during the day it is usually between 5-6dB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      Yeah I thought the noise was a little low. DLM finished about a week ago and it ended on 2Mb. After a quick phone call they manually re-configured the line to just under 4Mb. Noise margin seems to go low at night but during the day it is usually between 5-6dB.
      well tbh as long as you don't suffer with disconnections you should be fine. and yes its quite normal for the noise margin to fluctuate 1-2db during the evening compared to the day.... somehow i am on an oposite boat, i gain noise margin at night but thankfully my line is excellent and have never had any disconnections, its just a shame i don't get the speed my line should get as i'm so close to the exchange.

ADSL Speed:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imdag2 View Post
      ...also if DLM is running this can also cause your line to slow as your line is being tested and can fluctuate,however if i am not mistaken DLM normally runs at night (don't quote me on that)
      Awww... Why not? DLM, if it is still running on the dankargo's line, will reset the router between 1am and 6am.

I would expect the DLM may well have finished by now. dankargo, could you check your My Sky page to confirm this please.

If the DLM process has completed, then you are able to call Sky to get your line manually configured.

I would suggest that you would be better off calling sky and asking them to place you on G.DMT (aka ADSL1) as you are in the area where you would get a better connection speed. You may need to make 2 or 3 phone calls as not everyone has access to the correct systems to allow them to make all the necessary changes. Some will deny that it is even possible.

As for the torrents, I would strongly suggest that you set it up with a schedule. I use µTorrent and set my torrent PC so that it is limited during the day and opens right up when I am asleep.

In your case, with those stats, I would suggest that you limit the upload speed to 25kBps and you may wish to limit the download speed too. If you do, the 300kBps would be more than enough.

At night set the limit to 50kBps for the upload speed and unlimited for the download speed.

If you don't allow yourself any room for the upload bandwidth, then you will actually reduce the possible download speed as your computer can't communicate with the other computers seeding the torrent.

If you can get someone to improve your connection speed, then you could improve these settings, but based on results elsewhere in this forum it won't be a miraculous improvement.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      Hey all, being a new customer and using the broadband to download files for the first proper time this weekend. So far in the past 3 days I've downloaded a 3GB file, a 2.5 GB torrent and 1GB worth of music on iTunes. This doesnt include YouTube streaming which we all use daily in the house.

I'm on the Unlimited plan at £7.50 a month but do Sky throttle if they think you've downloaded too much over a period as I recall Virgin Media do this even though their package is stated as Unlimited.

Not a problem if they do, it just means I'll have to cut down on the large file downloading and torrents.
      Sky Unlimited is not throttled.

I'm on this package and download quite a bit. From the 1 September, I've downloaded 270 GB and I'm not been throttled. Soooo glad I moved onto Sky Unlimited

Thanks

Agreed Tal71. Unfortunately the connection in this instance isn't able to handle lots of unchecked downloads, gaming and browsing all at once.

Hopefully the suggestions which have been made will help to balance things for dankargo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast