Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noise margin drops in the evening

This is a discussion on Noise margin drops in the evening within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, is it normal for my noise margin to drop in the evening? My connection is stable dont get ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Noise margin drops in the evening

Hey guys, is it normal for my noise margin to drop in the evening? My connection is stable dont get me wrong, I'm currently downloading at a good speed (423kB/Sec - much better then my previous ISP) but I noticed that from 6pm onwards my noise margin drops to around 4-5dB when during the day it is 5-6dB, is this normal?

As of 10.00pm tonight;

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 8065021 12131447 0 3151 46913 202:08:44
      LAN Up 10775189 7031737 0 155 13985 202:16:32
      WLAN Up 2693224 1884395 0 0 117 202:16:10
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4047 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 dB 32.6 dB
      Noise Margin 4.5 dB 12.5 dB

Sky manually re-configured my line after DLM as it had set me as low as 2Mb. After a phone call they conducted some tests and eventually settled my line to 4047kbps / 510kbps. I did ask to be put back onto G.DMT but by the looks of things they've kept me on ADSL2+. I haven't made a fuss over it however as I have not had any problems with the connection itself, the sky tech team told me they configured the line for a slightly better speed but also to keep it stable which I have to admit they managed well as I havent had a single dropout in the connection yet. What concerns me most is the low noise margin, sometimes it will go as low as 4.0dB in the evening.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Noise margin drops in the evening

It is quite normal for the noise margin to go down with the sun. If you are not dropping out, don't worry about it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Cloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norwich North (EANCN)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I get that all the time in the evening with my 2304n. Currently my snr is 0.4db and the internet is quite unstable. I'm using a filtered faceplate, but I find with a microfilter in the test socket it aint as bad.
      XBL: CloudSTRIFE IIx
      PSN: fps_cloud

OldFourEyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The noise margin on my Sagem 2504n also drops in the evening but, in addition, the connection speed drops from 10.2Mb to 5.2Mb. Not exactly a disaster, but the most annoying thing is that it doesn't reset itself the next day.

When I check the next morning the connection speed is still 5.2Mb but the noise ratio is 21db until I reboot the router to get back to 10.2Mb and the noise margin reverts to around 7.2db.

Contention ratio?

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi OldFourEyes,

It is nomal to see the margin rise at these times due to the volume of traffic through broadband at it's peak.

The fluctuation of 21 db and this not going down might suggest a faulty micro-filter. It would be worthwhile trying another to see if this the fault. I would also suggest testing this through your test socket.

There is a troubleshooting section within our help centre, that can take you through doing this and any further troubleshooting you can try.

If none of this helps there might be a fault on the line itself that we would need to check. In this case you would be required to contact your ISP, if you are with Sky, please see the contact us section of the Sky help centre whichi can direct you to the best person to speak to.
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

OldFourEyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky eService Team View Post
      Hi OldFourEyes,

It is nomal to see the margin rise at these times due to the volume of traffic through broadband at it's peak.

The fluctuation of 21 db and this not going down might suggest a faulty micro-filter. It would be worthwhile trying another to see if this the fault. I would also suggest testing this through your test socket.

There is a troubleshooting section within our help centre, that can take you through doing this and any further troubleshooting you can try.

If none of this helps there might be a fault on the line itself that we would need to check. In this case you would be required to contact your ISP, if you are with Sky, please see the contact us section of the Sky help centre whichi can direct you to the best person to speak to.
      Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned elsewhere, I live in a block of 4 apartments and there is only one line into the block so, effectively, each apartment is on an extension, therefore no test socket unfortunately.

I fitted a filtered faceplate which seems OK during the day so my options at the moment are limited. I could have a direct line installed (expensive!) so I suppose I'll hang on for now and see what happens when fibre becomes available (also expensive?).

It's not bad for 7.50 per month though. At one time I was happily paying BT 29.95 for 500kb!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldFourEyes View Post
      Hi

As I mentioned elsewhere, I live in a block of 4 apartments and there is only one line into the block so, effectively, each apartment is on an extension, therefore no test socket unfortunately.

I fitted a filtered faceplate which seems OK during the day so my options at the moment are limited. I could have a direct line installed (expensive!) so I suppose I'll hang on for now and see what happens when fibre becomes available (also expensive?).
      Unless all 4 apartments are sharing one line that is not correct! The lack of test socket does not mean you do not have a direct line, it means you do not have an NTE5. You will probably find a central DP is serving the apartments. If you only have one telephone socket then there is little you can do, however if you have extensions then things may be improved. However, as you say you have a filtered faceplate but no test socket then I am guessing you have something like this?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
      I get that all the time in the evening with my 2304n. Currently my snr is 0.4db and the internet is quite unstable. I'm using a filtered faceplate, but I find with a microfilter in the test socket it aint as bad.
      What faceplate are you using?

Cloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norwich North (EANCN)
      Thanks

XTE-2005, the one from ADSL Nation.
      XBL: CloudSTRIFE IIx
      PSN: fps_cloud

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
      XTE-2005, the one from ADSL Nation.
      Thought you may say that & what filter are you using that gives better results?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast