Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Question regarding my speed - thanks in advance!

This is a discussion on Question regarding my speed - thanks in advance! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, Just wondering if someone could give me a bit of info. I contacted sky the other day to ...

KissMyFace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope-Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question regarding my speed - thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if someone could give me a bit of info. I contacted sky the other day to ask them if there was anything they could do to improve my connection speed.

My line can only support upto 5 Meg according to Sky. I was getting 2Meg and when i recieved a reply from Sky, the guy told me he found TENS of Thousands of Errors on my Line! and advised me to try out a few things to improve my connection and email back when i have done them. Got an email today telling me my connection had been put up to 4.8 Meg and to monitor my line for 24hrs, didnt say if these errors had been cleared or not, but im guessing they have?

My question is, will i be able to set up my new Wireless N router or will this have an affect on my speed whilst sky are monitoring my line? or is it ok to do?

Here are my stats if it helps in any way, thanks again.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question regarding my speed - thanks in advance!-untitled.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Question regarding my speed - thanks in advance!

advised me to try out a few things to improve my connection and email back when i have done them.
      Did he ask you to plug into the Test socket? If not, please try it now and post your stats. Use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky, no telephone extensions.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

You speed is a little low for your attenuation, but if you get much the same in the Test socket, then it is down to your external line. Unless you have noise on your voice line, there is not much you can do about that.

My question is, will i be able to set up my new Wireless N router or will this have an affect on my speed whilst sky are monitoring my line? or is it ok to do?
      Not sure what you mean, have you bought a new router? If you have there is no harm in trying it.

Please change your Profile as you are no longer on Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

KissMyFace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope-Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Yeah I did plug into test socket and got near enough the same stats. No noise at all on the line.

Probably didnt make myself clear, sorry!. Ive just bought the new wireless n router and I didnt want to plug it in incase it affected my speed whilst sky were sorting out my line.

Changed profile, cheers!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would just go ahead and connect your new router, it will make no difference to the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.