Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Are my Router Stat's OK?

This is a discussion on Are my Router Stat's OK? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've recently moved house (previously a Cable customer) and have now signed upto Sky for their services. Now I've ...

kayone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Are my Router Stat's OK?

Hi,

I've recently moved house (previously a Cable customer) and have now signed upto Sky for their services.

Now I've been browsing around the forums and found some interesting reads, and it's got me curious about whether I'm receiving the full potential of my current BB service has to offer.

My stats from the router are below; first being the front socket & second being the master socket.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11152 kbps 1054 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5db 21.9db
      Noise Margin 7.2-8.6db 7.2db

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11260 kbps 1051 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5db 21.9db
      Noise Margin 6.9db-7.2 7.2db

"You are approximately 1.04km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!"

Any advice/help is appreciated

Cheers,
      Matt.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Are my Router Stat's OK?

according to the tool available on this site, you Line Attenuation indicates that you should get between 10 to 12Mb for your downstream connection.

You are bang in the middle of this.

Your noise margins are around 7dB. This is Sky's target figure.

Essentially I believe that you have the best connection speed for your location.

You may wish to check through the link below to see if there is anything else you can do.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Appreciate your advice Scubbie.

I've just received an email from Sky's CST again saying that they've now disabled the DLM tool.

This from what I can see has just increased the actual speed by just over 1mbp/s on the speedtest (the connect speed is actually the same)

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Speed Test results can vary hugely.

I tend to look at typical test results rather than individual results. The test results in my signature are a fair representation of my connection, but as the link below shows, they can vary hugely:

Sky rocks again !

(Remember that both bigj2552 and I only have standard Sky ADSL2+ connections with a maximum of 20Mb speed when you see the figures posted)

If you have a lot of errors on your line, then you would consistently see a significant gap between your test results and what the router reports.

WiFi will also drop the potential test results as there will be a lot of error correction in that too, even when in close proximity to the router.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Excellent stuff.

I guess I'm happy with the speeds then if this is around the optimum given my line stats as you say.

What part does DLM play? don't quite understand this.

Thanks

DLM is Sky's system which constantly monitors your broadband connection. The initial training period normally starts within 3 days of your connection going live.

Once started, it will tweak your connection settings until it has configured to the best that it can do for your connection. This will normally take up to 10 days, but is often completed by 3 or 4 days.

Sky's target settings are directed at your noise margins. DLM aims to set a stable line with a noise margin of 7dB on the downstream and then upstream connections.

As the speed is tweaked it can concentrate on one aspect or both. It can also return to each setting.

Sky personnel are forbidden from manually configuring a line whilst the initial training period is in place. If your line is set too low or you would like a Gamer's Profile, then you are able to contact Sky at the end of this initial period.

DLM will reset you connection speed during the early hours (between 1am & 6am).

Your 'My Sky' page will show once the DLM process has completed, but it is normally 3 days behind reality.

You must leave your router on 24/7 whilst the initial process is working. During this time your connection is monitored for errors that can't be seen on the router you have. Sky's equipment can see these errors though and it is these which are used to calculate things.

Once the initial training period has completed, DLM sits in the background monitoring your line. If a significant number of errors start to occur, then it will reduce your connection.
      kayone likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

kayone (15-09-11)