Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router interference with telephone?

This is a discussion on Router interference with telephone? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, Before I post the problem, here is my setup. The splitter looks exactly like this. The microfilter is plugged ...

Joshilini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router interference with telephone?

Hello,

Before I post the problem, here is my setup.

The splitter looks exactly like this.

The microfilter is plugged into the main telephone socket. In the 'modem' part of the microfilter, the router ethernet cable is connected. In the 'phone' part of the microfilter, the splitter is connected (and in the splitter are the Sky+ HD cable and telephone cable).

My problem is, whenever the telephone rings, it either rings twice and then cuts off or it rings fully and the router resets (the internet light distinguishes and then takes about 3-5 minutes to boot back up). When using the telephone, the phone line is fairly crackly.

The current solutions we have tried doing are:

1. Sky sent out a BT engineer who checked the phone line physically, found a small problem and sorted it. But, it hasn't made any difference.

2. Sky have checked for faults on the phone line, they've told me to check the test socket in the master socket switch (it doesn't make a difference) and have sent me new microfilters and even a new router. Still, the problem persists.

So Sky User, I've come to you guys to see what the problem is? I imagine it's either the phone line, the microfilter or the splitter.

We're on the Sky Anytime package for broadband.

Thanks,
      Josh

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router interference with telephone?

I looks like a line fault. To check plug the phone into the Test socket if you have one, master socket if you don't and check for noise on the line. It is better to use a corded phone for this as some cordless have noise cancelling technology and some will pick up noise from the environment themselves. Dial one digit and listen for a while, you should hear nothing except maybe a very faint hiss. Anything more and you should report it to your phone rental provider as noise on your voice line. If you do not have Sky phone rental, do not mention broadband at this stage.

What you can try is plugging a second filter into the first one and plug the phone and Sky box into that, see if that helps. Your router must be plugged into the first filter or you will not get broadband. If it helps, your best bet would be to buy a good quality filter, preferably a filtered faceplate if you have an NTE5.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router interference with telephone?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshilini View Post
      My problem is, whenever the telephone rings, it either rings twice and then cuts off or it rings fully and the router resets (the internet light distinguishes and then takes about 3-5 minutes to boot back up). When using the telephone, the phone line is fairly crackly.
      Sounds like a line fault to me TBH, as above, if you have an NTE5 try the test socket. If still the same then you still have a line fault. Fitting a filtered faceplate would eliminate the filters & give you a neater setup.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.