Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Netgear DG834GT problem

This is a discussion on Netgear DG834GT problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. Newbie to the Forums and I hope you can help me My family is currently connected to Sky ...

Dazza09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01293
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Angry Netgear DG834GT problem

Hi all. Newbie to the Forums and I hope you can help me

My family is currently connected to Sky Broadband using a Netgear DG834GT Router (V1.03.87) . However, we're having problems with the current connection in terms of slow speed and wireless connectivity being unreliable (despite being hooked up to an exchange with 21CN and FTTC enabled). I've been tasked with trying to improve the connection before we look elsewhere, and I'm trying to do so as we speak

As stated earlier, we have V1.03.87 firmware, but I know that's around 3 years old, so I'm wondering if there's any new firmware from this router? I've tried to install the latest firmware from Netgear's own site, but the modem rejects the update. I currently have uPnP enabled, so I'll disable that and see if that improves things, but can anyone please recommend anything I may have missed?

Kind Regards,

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Netgear DG834GT problem

This was the first ADSL WiFi router that Sky shipped to their customers. It is a few years old now. It is a WiFi g router.

Your problems may be related to to a simple fact that something is getting old.

I would be inclined to check the Microfilters first. Swap them for some new ones.

If this fails, then a new router will be required. You have a few choices to make in this area:
      • extract the Sky log in details from the router and purchase your own router to use in it's place
      • call Sky and ask for a replacement router (you may be charged 28 for a more recent WiFi g router)
      • call Sky and order their new Sagem 2504N router (costs 35 and is rated WiFi n (144mbps))

Before taking this action though, you may wish to go through various checks to ensure that your telephone line has not developed any faults.

A good start point would be to plug a corded telephone into your Test Socket. Dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise. If you hear any hiss or crackling indicates that you have a problem with your line and this is the cause of your broadband connection issues.

If this is the case, then call your line provider (whom ever is paid the line rental) to arrange for the line to be fixed.

The next task is to recheck the router in to your test socket with a new microfilter and see what happens. If the connection is stable, then the cause of the problem is either to do with the old microfilters or your internal telephone wiring.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Netgear DG834GT problem

The fact that you are on an exchange with 21CN just means that BT have caught up with Sky by using ADSL2+, it has nothing to do with your Sky connection.

Post your stats from your normal position-
      How to get your router statistics

Then from the Test socket.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.