Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Skys new network

This is a discussion on Skys new network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have only just heard about Sky using the new network called ' MER ', just goes to show how ...

odds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Skys new network

I have only just heard about Sky using the new network called 'MER', just goes to show how up to date I keep.
      Anyway, I recently lost my phone and broadband connection and had the usual engineer visit to confirm the fault was at the exchange. It was then that I read about 'MER'. I have been using a Netgear DGN1000 for ages now and have never had a problem, so out of interest I plugged my Sky supplied router in and indeed it said Network type was Mer, so I plugged my Netgear back in and it connected no problem, Network type PPPOA.
      So I was wondering why are people trying to get certain routers working on the MER network, as from my experience it doesn't matter what I use. Are there any specific reasons why you need to be on MER ?

Pete.

2. Advertisement
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Skys new network

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
      I have been using a Netgear DGN1000 for ages now and have never had a problem, so out of interest I plugged my Sky supplied router in and indeed it said Network type was Mer, so I plugged my Netgear back in and it connected no problem, Network type PPPOA.
      So I was wondering why are people trying to get certain routers working on the MER network, as from my experience it doesn't matter what I use. Are there any specific reasons why you need to be on MER ?

Pete.
      The thing is (for the time being) Sky are still allowing connections via PPPOA and MER. But no one but Sky knows how long it will be until Sky stop PPPOA connections and instead have everyone on MER. When this happens, it will make it difficult to use your own router.

Re 'Are there any specific reasons why you need to be on MER'

I can't think of any, but some other forum members might be able to answer this question.