Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Would the TP-Link TD-W8960N be a good choice of router?

This is a discussion on Would the TP-Link TD-W8960N be a good choice of router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Afternoon all I have been doing some research in order to get myself a new router and ditch the sagemcom ...

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Would the TP-Link TD-W8960N be a good choice of router?

Afternoon all

I have been doing some research in order to get myself a new router and ditch the sagemcom finally, i must admit i really like the look and the reviews of the billion 7800n but the price tag is a bit to much for me. So i came across the TP-Link TD-W8960N and from what i can see the reviews look good and the price is much more in my range as well. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using one of these with sky bb LLU. Im just curious to know if you can tweak SNR and set the profile type like g.dmt etc which is what i am on at the mo and i dont want to be forced to use adsl2+ on my long line

hope someone can help

Many thanks

Liam

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Would the TP-Link TD-W8960N be a good choice of router?

I am not familiar with the product, but I would have to agree with you in that it looks a nice router.

On the positive: ADSL2+ router; 300Mb WiFi; has the ability to clone you Sagem's MAC address (should you want to try out MER it could be very useful); good parental controls; VPN; prioritising for video streaming; and much more.

Potential drawbacks are: 10/100Mb LAN; 2.4GHz channels only.

Obviously you would like to know what the reliability is like and how good the WiFi is in practise. I'll let those with this model comment on those issues.

Some people would like it purely as it has external WiFi aerials, allowing for you to potentially replace them with your own larger ones more easily if you wanted to.

One of the other things that a lot of people are concerned with is matching the ADSL chipset to their Telephone Exchange equipment. Whilst it is nice to get the extra speed, it isn't essential for everyone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

craney13 (04-09-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Thanks very much for the input, i see what you mean about people wanting to have a router with the same chipset used in the exchange, i just ran a quick tracert and i believe i am on the sky equipment which will mean i have a broadcom chipset at the exchange. Im pretty sure this router has a broadcom chipset but how do you go about finding out? im really curious

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms MyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
      2 41 ms 43 ms 42 ms 5acb1dbe.bb.sky.com [90.203.29.190]
      3 40 ms 41 ms 42 ms 10.245.185.65
      4 44 ms 44 ms 45 ms ip-89-200-130-100.ov.easynet.net [89.200.130.100
      ]
      5 43 ms 44 ms 46 ms ip-89-200-130-101.ov.easynet.net [89.200.130.101
      ]
      6 74 ms 81 ms 73 ms ip-80-238-8-10.bskyb.com [80.238.8.10]
      7 * * * Request timed out.

I totally agree with the cons you pointed out as well, no gigabit ports is something i am not to concerned about as i dont do a great deal of file coppying or streaming. I stream from my PC to my xbox via homeplugs and have had no issue so far so hopefully this wont be so much of a downfall for me. The wireless 2.4ghz channel is a shame i guess but again not to much of a big deal for me, i only connect 2 laptops and my iphone wireless and i dont do anything really on them other than just general browsing, on the other hand my desktop is my main machine which is the only wired connection along with my xbox all connected via tp-link homeplugs.

One of the main things i am just curious to know is the kind of advanced settings it has, im quite a novice if im honest when it comes to setting up routers but from what i gather it would need to be setup with PPPOE or A cant remember which with a 0/40 setting is that correct? I am hoping there is an option to set the line to g.dmt or adsl2+ but cant seem to find much on the web regarding it, but i have read somewhere that i would be able to telnet into the router to tweak the SNR if i chose to do so

Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      2 41 ms 43 ms 42 ms 5acb1dbe.bb.sky.com [90.203.29.190]
      This confirms that you are on the Broadcom Chipset at your exchange.

As for the router, perhaps someone else who knows can comment, or you could visit the TP-Link forums and ask.

I totally agree with the cons you pointed out as well, no gigabit ports is something i am not to concerned about...
      No problem with that, just because some people want these features, it does not mean that everyone needs to have them. I did qualify my statement as 'Potential drawbacks' for that very reason.

One of the main things i am just curious to know is the kind of advanced settings it has, im quite a novice if im honest when it comes to setting up routers but from what i gather it would need to be setup with PPPOE or A cant remember which with a 0/40 setting is that correct? I am hoping there is an option to set the line to g.dmt or adsl2+ but cant seem to find much on the web regarding it, but i have read somewhere that i would be able to telnet into the router to tweak the SNR if i chose to do so
      PPPoA
      VPI = 0
      VCI = 38
      VC-Mux

MER would use a different group of settings, but no one has been able to get this working as a long-term issue to date. Search the forum for the proposed settings.

Careful about tweaking your connection settings as some people are struggling with this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

craney13 (05-09-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks again for your kind input scubbie, been doing some more research today on the router and i found the above info, going by this am i safe to say that i can change the DSL setting from adsl2+ to g.dmt within the router config? I was just a little confused with the other setting listed with ADSL1

DSL compliance:

ADSL1 (G.dmt 992.1, G.lite 992.2, G.hs 994.1, DMT T1.413)
      ADSL2 (G.992.3, G.lite.bis 992.4)
      RE-ADSL2 (G.992.3 Annex L)
      ADSL2+ (G.992.5)
      ADSL2+M (G.992.5 Annex M)

Thanks

To save confusion, some people have started to rename what was originally named as 'ADSL' as 'ADSL1'.

This is because ADSL, ADSL2 & ADSL2+ can be collectively known as 'ADSL'.

There are a variety of DSL standards.

Cable, FTTC & FTTP should correctly be known as VDSL or VDSL2.

If you need to change to ADSL, rather than use ADSL2+, it might be better to call Sky and ask someone to configure your line for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

craney13 (06-09-11)

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks again scubbie for the post, my line is currently set to g.dmt adsl 1, its just i was not sure if changing router would force the line to change for what ever reason. If my line for example was to change to adsl2+ after changing to a non sky router im guessing if i called them up and asked the to change it they wouldn't as im not using a sky router?

thanks again

Thanks

There are some who might be difficult with you as you aren't using the Sky router.

The router will normally automatically sense whether it is ADSL or ADSL2+, etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

craney13 (06-09-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Most routers have a form of 'Multi Mode' which means the router will choose the best setting for the line, in your case this would be ADSL1(G.DMT) You need not worry about it changing the line to ADSL2+ as this cannot be done. When a line is set to ADSL2+ mode you can use the router to reset it to G.DMT, but the opposite is not the case. You cannot connect at a higher mode than the line has been set by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craney13 (06-09-11)