Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.

This is a discussion on Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, 1st post. Just had sky broadband connected to my house "out in the country". Unfortunately my broadband is ...

dirtbag is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Comberton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.

Hi all, 1st post.

Just had sky broadband connected to my house "out in the country". Unfortunately my broadband is very bad, and was wondering if there is anything I can do to improve it ?

At this time I have done a speed check on 3 websites and they all roughly say that my download is 300kb and my upload is 350kb (no I have not got it the wrong way round!).

My area is out in the sticks a bit, and my exchange is 5km away and is an old ADSL Exchange which does not help.

I have tried:

Resetting router
      Plugging in direct to test socket + filter, changed filters.
      Installed a new faceplate onto my main telephone box
      Swapped a whole host of cables, rj11's , rj45's etc with same result.
      Phoned sky to speek to engineers who will call me tomorrow

Is it really worth me having broadband !!?

Any help is apreciated, here are the pictures of my router stats, and speed test results quite shocking as you will see.

Thanks DB
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.-image1.jpg   Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.-image2.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

You might want to read this . Added to this you have a very long line which is also affecting your speeds. Easiest advice is to get out of Connect now. However with such a long line and living where you do that might not be a viable option.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Postman Pat For This Useful Post:

dirtbag (04-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

You might want to read this . Added to this you have a very long line which is also affecting your speeds. Easiest advice is to get out of Connect now. However with such a long line and living where you do that might not be a viable option.
      Hi Postman, thanks for the reply.

Connect is the only option sky can offer me. I can access a FON hotspot vai stick using my dads btinternet account for free which is faster, but very unstable !

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

There are a couple of things that I could ass to Postman Pat's comments.

Firstly check that you are making the most of your connection. Double check everything to do with your telephone wiring and that you are using the Master Socket. Ensure that EVERY telephone socket in use has a microfilter connected first. This is especially true for the Sky STB.

The standard socket that the Sky Installation Engineers use has some scary words on it to discourage you from unplugging it. This MUST plug into the telephone port on a microfilter.

Check each room upstairs too.

If you are unsure, plug the router into the Test Socket (located behind the master socket) and take a look at your connection stats.

In order to get any speed increase made, a phone call is required to Sky. You'll need to be patient and try to get through to CST. Sky support do not have access to the systems to change your connection speed. CST will need to pass your request through to BT.

As for improving your broadband overall, sadly Sky's BB Connect package suffers very badly if you go over the limit. Although it is advertised as a 40GB monthly limit, it is measure daily. If you go over 1.3GB on too many days it appears that you will be capped to silly speeds.

Other ISPs will sell you better products than Connect. Unfortunately there are no LLU providers at your local telephone exchange.

Also I posted the other day about some recent tests, one of which is in Cambridgeshire. It might be worth investigating to see whether you can join it.

New announcements to improve BB in Rural areas

Also take a look at the news pages on Thinkbroadband.

Some other useful links:

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Comberton (EACOM) Exchange

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dirtbag (04-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There are a couple of things that I could ass to Postman Pat's comments.

Firstly check that you are making the most of your connection. Double check everything to do with your telephone wiring and that you are using the Master Socket. Ensure that EVERY telephone socket in use has a microfilter connected first. This is especially true for the Sky STB.

The standard socket that the Sky Installation Engineers use has some scary words on it to discourage you from unplugging it. This MUST plug into the telephone port on a microfilter.

Check each room upstairs too.

If you are unsure, plug the router into the Test Socket (located behind the master socket) and take a look at your connection stats.

In order to get any speed increase made, a phone call is required to Sky. You'll need to be patient and try to get through to CST. Sky support do not have access to the systems to change your connection speed. CST will need to pass your request through to BT.

As for improving your broadband overall, sadly Sky's BB Connect package suffers very badly if you go over the limit. Although it is advertised as a 40GB monthly limit, it is measure daily. If you go over 1.3GB on too many days it appears that you will be capped to silly speeds.

Other ISPs will sell you better products than Connect. Unfortunately there are no LLU providers at your local telephone exchange.

Also I posted the other day about some recent tests, one of which is in Cambridgeshire. It might be worth investigating to see whether you can join it.

New announcements to improve BB in Rural areas

Also take a look at the news pages on Thinkbroadband.

Some other useful links:

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Comberton (EACOM) Exchange

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::
      Hello many thanks for the in depth reply.

The stats were based on my router being plugged directly into the test socket. I do not have any other sockets other than the main one. I will be getting a phonecall from SKy tomorrow I can tell them the good news.

I mean, upload faster than download that cant be right can it ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
      The stats were based on my router being plugged directly into the test socket. I do not have any other sockets other than the main one. I will be getting a phonecall from SKy tomorrow I can tell them the good news.
      No problem. The only things I can think of now would be a new, good quality, microfilter or the obvious line problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
      I mean, upload faster than download that cant be right can it ?
      Sadly your downstream is so poor that it all needs working on. If it is passed to BT then it is possible that your line will be correctly configured.

Your Line Attenuation indicates that you have a long telephone line. It might be that the owner of the router which has BT Fon is in a different road behind you and has a shorter router to the telephone exchange. If there was a way in which you could get to see their router stats and confirm whether or not they are connected to the same green street cabinet as yourself, then this would help you to be able to get someone to seriously look at your connection.

I am thinking that perhaps your telephone line is not a good quality one or someone has replaced the cabling between you and the exchange with a poorer quality cable. This could be specifically related to a spate of cable theft.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dirtbag (04-09-11)

Thanks

Hello many thanks again for taking the time to reply to me.
      Are there any filters that you recommend ?
      My exchange is 5k away from me :< , so I cannot expect much

Thanks

Hi still awaiting the phonecall, but have check things this morning and it appears to be better (until the next time)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.-image1.jpg   Sky broadband "connect" Upload faster than download.-image2.jpg  

Thanks

That is an improvement.

I can't recall the rules by which BTW configures their lines, but it does have an automated system. It looks like it has changed your line as a consequence.

With Sky LLU it pays to leave the router on all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the same with your connection.

As for a filter, the best solution is a filtered faceplate. There are a variety around. This one should be fine, but you are welcome to look around:

XTE-2005 Clone NTE5 ADSL Faceplate

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dirtbag (04-09-11)

Thanks

Hello lets hope it stays that way !!

Many thanks, I do have that exact faceplate !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast