Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Problem and Sky Customer Services

This is a discussion on Router Problem and Sky Customer Services within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, I was asked today to help a family member with a problem they were have with their Sky ...

blenko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD (Multi)
      Thanks

Router Problem and Sky Customer Services

Hello all,

I was asked today to help a family member with a problem they were have with their Sky Broadband connection.

So . . when I arrived, I took a look at the router (a Sagem router) which seemed to be constantly recycling power in that the power and check lights would come on, then the ADSL connection light would flash amber and then finally all would go off and start again.

I tried connecting via Ethernet and, as expected, the laptop connected (but with limited access) and then when disconnect again when all the lights or the router went off. I tried to reset the router on the rear which had no effect at all. The process just continued.

So I called Sky Customer services who tried blaming it on the laptop. Clearly this wasn't going to wash so I reiterated that the router was recycling power (or at least seemed to be) to which the response was that it appeared to be a firmware update that had failed - according to this guy, the firmware updates are administered by CD (so is he saying we performed a firmware update ourselves? That would be cool given we had neither the aforementioned CD not in fact a CD drive - this is a netbook we're talking about).

OK, cool I though they'll replace the router then. Nope, it's out of support and would cost to replace (the cost is not really important but if they've performed a firmware update and it's bricked the router, surely that's their responsibility). So I asked if I could use my own router.

Him: "Yes, no problem"
      Me: "So what's the username and password embedded into this router?"
      Him: "We don't have access to that information"
      Me: "So how do I use my own router without authentication details?"
      Him "There's a utility on the internet to get the information off your router"

At this point I became a little frustrated, explained that I thought this was unacceptable and hung up. I appreciate these guys are scripted but this is madness.

So, after this bit of a rant, I have a few questions.

1.) Can you user your own router with Sky (I know you didn't used to be able to but has this changed).
      2.) Firmware updates are done over the ADSL connection directly with Sky . . this is NOT a customer performed action yes?
      3.) Anyone have any ideas about fixing the current router before I go ahead and migrate to another provider.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just venting steam.

Thanks for any advice.

Carl

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Router Problem and Sky Customer Services

Quote Originally Posted by blenko View Post
      So I called Sky Customer services who tried blaming it on the laptop. Clearly this wasn't going to wash so I reiterated that the router was recycling power (or at least seemed to be) to which the response was that it appeared to be a firmware update that had failed - according to this guy, the firmware updates are administered by CD (so is he saying we performed a firmware update ourselves? That would be cool given we had neither the aforementioned CD not in fact a CD drive - this is a netbook we're talking about).

OK, cool I though they'll replace the router then. Nope, it's out of support and would cost to replace (the cost is not really important but if they've performed a firmware update and it's bricked the router, surely that's their responsibility). So I asked if I could use my own router.

Him: "Yes, no problem"
      Me: "So what's the username and password embedded into this router?"
      Him: "We don't have access to that information"
      Me: "So how do I use my own router without authentication details?"
      Him "There's a utility on the internet to get the information off your router"
      The details of the router will not be visible to everyone. Even when they are, the router needs to be connected anyway. You are welcome to try this site to obtain the details:

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

As for blaming the Laptop, someone should be shot. A router is totally independent of the Laptop and the Laptop should never be questioned. A moron could almost work out that it the Laptop was switched off, then it has no impact on the router.

I would call again (keeping a cool head) and find someone else to deal with. It sounds like the router or the PSU has failed. To check the PSU, you could try your own PSU from your Sky Router. I would also try your own router as it could demonstrate a line fault.

At this point I became a little frustrated, explained that I thought this was unacceptable and hung up. I appreciate these guys are scripted but this is madness.
      Sadly Sky personnel get penalised if they stray from the script. since all telephone calls are recorded their managers can and do check up on them.

So, after this bit of a rant, I have a few questions.

1.) Can you user your own router with Sky (I know you didn't used to be able to but has this changed).
      Technically it is against Sky's T&Cs but they do not appear to be punishing anyone for using their own routers. Earlier this year this was confirmed on the official sky support forum.

There are many threads discussing this topic on this forum.

2.) Firmware updates are done over the ADSL connection directly with Sky . . this is NOT a customer performed action yes?
      Correct.

I found with the Sagem 2304n that I could not roll back the firmware to an older version using the Sky CD v5. Users with the Sagem 2504 have been able to roll back their firmware though.

However, if the router is continuously power cycling then I can't see that it will be possible to fix the firmware.

3.) Anyone have any ideas about fixing the current router before I go ahead and migrate to another provider.
      Mentioned above.

Essentially try your own Sky Router's PSU and also your Sky Router at your friend's home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

blenko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD (Multi)
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, and also pointing to possible issues with the router - to be honest, I'd not thought about the PSU. I'll probably take my router down tomorrow to give it all a whirl.

What really got me was the ineptitude of these guys / gals (another lady my Aunty spoke to couldn't understand that without the router, she had no access to the internet at home) . . or probably more rightly, Sky Customer Services as whole - as you say, it's their job to follow the scripts.

I think all in all, feedback to Sky Customer Services is key here. Even if it's just to highlight potential issues with their scripts and also give customers an easier escalation route to more senior / qualified staff.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards.

Carl

P.S. I'm liking your 17Mb downstream connection speed - sweet - roll on Infinity.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

...or probably more rightly, Sky Customer Services as whole - as you say, it's their job to follow the scripts.

I think all in all, feedback to Sky Customer Services is key here. Even if it's just to highlight potential issues with their scripts and also give customers an easier escalation route to more senior / qualified staff.
      Some members on here who work for Sky have commented on the issues with 'Sky Answers' and that they are measured on their adherence to the script.

I don't have a script and will occasionally miss something, but it is also so important to listen to how people describe things when diagnosing a problem. The solution can be in what isn't said/written in as much as what is said/written.

Again, thanks for your help.
      No problem, that why so many people haunt sites like this.

P.S. I'm liking your 17Mb downstream connection speed - sweet - roll on Infinity.
      I wish too. Hopefully BTO will put my exchange in the next announcement for upgrades. quite a few in this area have already been completed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like the typical Sagem PSU problem. The advisor should have picked this up right away, a failed flash would have left the power and tick lights flashing alternately or dead. Connecting to the router would not have been possible, even for a short time. The PSU problem has been with the Sagems for years, I am surprised they have not replaced them with a better quality model. They would have saved a small fortune in support calls and supplying unnecessary replacements as the used to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.