Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband problems, seeking advice.

This is a discussion on Broadband problems, seeking advice. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I am having some problems with my broadband connection and I was wondering if anyone knew what the ...

Jtattersall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband problems, seeking advice.

Hi there,

I am having some problems with my broadband connection and I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem was it and possibly how to fix it.

I recieved a new router a couple of weeks (had to pay 28- router sent was a DSL-2640S) ago after my connection to the internet died. After 4 weeks of no internet it synced and I could go on it, but at the same time I had a lot of noise on my phoneline and the connection kept dropping.

BT came and found a line fault outside the house (down the the road.) It was fixed and the noise on my line went away and the connection stopped disconnecting.

The problem is now my connection is absolutely fine during the day but as soon as it hits peak time I get disconnections frequently. The disconnections stop once when the time hits midnight but when i hit 8pm the following day it starts again.

I am on the sky connect service and have been for some time so I accept my connection gets throttled during the evening, but in 3 years of being on this service I don't recall connection drops like this during peak times.

My router stats are at the time of this posting:

My router logs:

Sep 1 19:55:16 syslog: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 19:55:16 syslog: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 19:55:48 syslog: PPP LCP UP.
      Sep 1 19:55:49 syslog: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.
      Sep 1 20:01:48 syslog: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 20:01:48 syslog: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 20:02:20 syslog: PPP LCP UP.
      Sep 1 20:02:21 syslog: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.

Sep 1 22:17:21 syslog: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 22:17:21 syslog: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 22:17:53 syslog: PPP LCP UP.
      Sep 1 22:17:53 syslog: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.
      Sep 1 22:23:53 syslog: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 22:23:53 syslog: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
      Sep 1 22:24:25 syslog: PPP LCP UP.
      Sep 1 22:24:26 syslog: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.

I also have noticed a lot of text saying Kernel intrusions on the security logs as well, I am not sure what they are or mean as I am no expert on this subject.

If anyone knows what the problem might be or how to resolve it any help would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone knows what the problem is so I can email Sky to get it resolved.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Jtattersall; 02-09-11 at 12:23 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Broadband problems, seeking advice.

To be fair, I don't think that your line has been correctly repaired. I think that you need to get back on the telephone to Sky and ask them nicely to send out a new BTO Engineer as you are still experiencing problems.

Take a look at this web page first and see if there is anything which you can do to help improve your connection:

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

If you are using your router on an extension, change to the Master Socket immediately.

IMHO what you ought to consider is whether or not you are on the best package or whether there is another broadband package that would suit your needs better.

Sky BB Connect really is pants. If you go over the daily limit of 1.3GB then you can end up capped to speeds similar to a dial-up Modem. Please take a look at this thread:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms