Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband without Sky telly or phone.

This is a discussion on Broadband without Sky telly or phone. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all Hope this is the right place for this query and, yes I know this has been asked before ...

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Broadband without Sky telly or phone.

Hi all

Hope this is the right place for this query and, yes I know this has been asked before but I cannot find the answer.

Anyway can I have Sky Broadband without having Sky telly or Phone?

At the moment I have Sky Broadband and I have had it ever since it has been available in this part of the world. Okay it isn't fast, 2Mbs if I'm lucky with a following wind but thats all I'm going to get with whoever I'm with and to be honest the connection hasn't put a foot wrong in all the time I have had it..

My telephone is with TalkTalk and I am very happy with that. I wouldn't touch their broadband though with the proverbial barge pole.

My telly is with sky but as everything I watch these days is a repeat or a pile of c**p and I dont have Sky Sports or films I am loath to keep paying Sky for the television. I know that Freeview does not have as many channels as Sky but I will get some HD channels for free on freeview and what channels are on freeview are enough for me AND they are free.

So, can I have Sky Broadband without having to have Sky telly or phone these days or not.

Cheers

Pete

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband without Sky telly or phone.

You can cancel your Sky TV subscription and retain your broadband. The cost of your broadband will go up by 2.50 which will serve as the surcharge for not having Sky TV.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

pete.i (01-09-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The boring summer repeat season should soon be over. The US start to air lots of new series and they'll soon be available over here too.

I didn't think that you could have Sky's BB service on a line rented through TalkTalk.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

LOL (not getting at you Scubbie) but I'm afraid that yank shows just dont cut it with me. It's a great pity that our home grown writers have, seemingly, all gone down the tubes. I know that I will still have to put up with yank shows on Freeserve but at least I'm not paying for c**p and repeats.

As for Sky Broadband whilst renting the line from Talk Talk, Well thats how it's working for me. When I got my broadband many years ago I dont think Sky were doing line rental (I stand to be corrected on that though). I was with BT then but Talk Talk did a house to house sales campaign and I signed up with Talk Talk for my telephone and I have been very happy with that. As I said, though, I wouldn't touch their broadband with a barge pole.

I'll probably put a spanner in the works now if I tell Sky I dont want their telly if what you say is right Scubbie but I have had line rental with Talk Talk and broadband with Sky for a lot of years.

Cheers

Pete

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

That's alright, I didn't take it personally.

When you consider the population size of the US compared to the UK, it is understandable why they have such a larger production schedule than us.

There have been a few new shows commissioned by Sky recently. These are going to have a limited audience. Why do you think that Richard & Judy flopped so much when they moved from Ch4 to Sky? (or was it because they've passed their sell-by date?)

Some other new British shows (I'll reserve personal comments) which have aired or started to air recently:
      • Trolled
      • Fish Town
      • Ross Kemp (various shows)
      • Cop Squad, Brit Cops: Rapid Response
      • Game of Thrones (was made in collaboration with the UK)
      • Inside Gatwick
      • Mount Pleasant
      • various series from Terry Pratchett
      • various Live Concerts across the UK

To be fair that list isn't complete and doesn't look very appetising.

Sky has always predominantly been a firm who buy in most of their material. Many of the channels reflect this type of programming.

It was a very sad day when Maggie Thatcher took out her dislike for Thames Television airing their docu on the IRA killing in Gibraltar and allowed their franchise to go to Charlton TV.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I didn't think that you could have Sky's BB service on a line rented through TalkTalk.
      It's possible if you are on WLR or Half LLU.

Thanks

Hi again
      Dunno what I'm on. I dont have the faintest clue what WLR or half LLU is all I know is that my Sky broadband works with Talk Talk's telephone and apart from the lack of speed, (and that is because I'm rural and in Yorkshire,) my broadband hasn't skipped a beat since I got it many moons ago.

Scubbie dont lead me down the road of Maggie Thatcher. I have a soap box dedicated to that woman and its all bad LOL

Goodnight all.

Pete

Thanks

Hi again
      Just reviving this thread to say that it looks as though Sky have pre-empted this question and are, probably, going to insist that all users take Sky line rental if you want broadband. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband/44825-if-you-take-skybroadband-you-have-take-sky-rental.html (I hope that link works.) If Sky do implement this I will ditch the whole caboodle. It wont make a blind of difference to Sky I know but I'm not going to be forced to have something I dont want.

Cheers
      Pete

Thanks

Gordon bennet dunno what happened to that post LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Hi again
      Just reviving this thread to say that it looks as though Sky have pre-empted this question and are, probably, going to insist that all users take Sky line rental if you want broadband. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband/44825-if-you-take-skybroadband-you-have-take-sky-rental.html (I hope that link works.) If Sky do implement this I will ditch the whole caboodle. It wont make a blind of difference to Sky I know but I'm not going to be forced to have something I dont want.

Cheers
      Pete
      It's for new customers. Existing customers such as yourself are not affected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast