Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with sky boardband, messing me about.

This is a discussion on Help with sky boardband, messing me about. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. My problems begins about a month ago as I was only receiving 2mb even though I have unlimited ...

xuiton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with sky boardband, messing me about.

Hi there.

My problems begins about a month ago as I was only receiving 2mb even though I have unlimited and my line is capable of at least 15mb. After being on the phone for ages and trying to fob me off they put me on 8mb, I insist that I can get higher than that and the customer service advisor says, "oh yes you can" then puts me on 10mb.

I thought well it isn't too bad so just left it. But today I notice my ping is at 100 for no reason and my router tells me this.

DownStream Connection Speed 6640 kbps

my download speeds have gone to around this and my ping is high. When I use that speed test website, it keeps connecting to Scotland. This is the second time Sky have done this, with no reason and no explanation; not only do they not inform me, but last time left my connection on a low speed.

They come across like they purposely just lower peoples connection just to save money in hoping that people will not notice or complain.

The ironic thing is that I received an email from them today asking to fill out a feedback form on their service and previous customer service.

Thank you.

ps the router is in the master socket and everything is connected via ethernet cables

Connection Speed 6640 kbps 1150 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 16.8 db
      Noise Margin 11.4 db

does line attenuation and noise margin have anything to do with that gamer profile they have or reducing ping?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help with sky boardband, messing me about.

They come across like they purposely just lower peoples connection just to save money in hoping that people will not notice or complain.
      That's nonsence. The reason your speed has gone down and possibly your ping gone up is that you have had a fault on your line,, which may now be corrected. This would cause the DLM to reduce your speed until the line was stable. This is an automatic procedure, Sky do not have anyone physically monitoring lines. Just think about it, with about 3 million broadband lines, how many staff would Sky need to monitor each line? You will have to call Sky and ask them to increase your speed and check that your delay is set to 8, they will not know anything is wrong until you tell them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

xuiton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's nonsence. The reason your speed has gone down and possibly your ping gone up is that you have had a fault on your line,, which may now be corrected. This would cause the DLM to reduce your speed until the line was stable. This is an automatic procedure, Sky do not have anyone physically monitoring lines. Just think about it, with about 3 million broadband lines, how many staff would Sky need to monitor each line? You will have to call Sky and ask them to increase your speed and check that your delay is set to 8, they will not know anything is wrong until you tell them.
      well as I have said before they have lowered my connection in the past for no reason. Nor does that explain why my connection has routing through scotland.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xuiton View Post
      well as I have said before they have lowered my connection in the past for no reason. Nor does that explain why my connection has routing through scotland.
      Me thinks that the Scottish are attempting to spy on us English!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Nor does that explain why my connection has routing through scotland.
      The routing is a bit strange, my address now resolves to Rochdale, since I moved to Sky phone rental. My 2nd hop on a trace takes me to somewhere just North of Skipton.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.