Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband Speed has Dropped by 10mb?

This is a discussion on Broadband Speed has Dropped by 10mb? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I apologise if this been asked loads of times before, but here I ask anyway. Okay well for the ...

CrazyInWeston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Weston-s-Mare (SSWSM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky+HD World, Sky Talk, Sky BB Unlimited.
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Broadband Speed has Dropped by 10mb?

Hi, I apologise if this been asked loads of times before, but here I ask anyway.

Okay well for the past 3 weeks to about a month I've noticed that my speed has dropped considerably.

I used to get around 13mb down and 0.8/0.9mb up

My Router (Sagem F@st) is plugged into the only socket I have.

The MySkyMyBroadband speed check says that my line when I ordered Sky was capable of recieving 10-20mb and that the line has been set to 13mb down and 0.6mb up.
      It also states that this was last checked on the 25/8/11 and I can tell you that it hasn't been that fast for weeks.

This is what I'm getting:

ADSL Link Downstream UpstreamConnection
      3680 kbps 796 kbps
      SpeedLine Attenuation
      21.0 db 11.0 db
      Noise Margin
      25.0 db 8.3 db

What can I do to set it back to what I had originally as 13mb down? As I had that before my speed got decreased.

ANOTHER problem I have while I have no idea if this is related to the sudden decrease in speed or not, but my actual landline seems to have a problem in the sense that I can dial OUT but nothing can dial IN - I've tried looking everywhere on this, but I can't seem to find anything about it.

Well Thanks in Advance Everyone

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Speed has Dropped by 10mb?

I think the first step is to contact whoever provides your landline & get that calls issue resolved. Just talk to them about the calls issue,

Once that's fixed I'm sure your broadband issues will go away although you may need to talk to Sky to get them to manually configure your line. BTW you should get 18meg or maybe more.
      Last edited by timc; 30-08-11 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyInWeston View Post
      ... but my actual landline seems to have a problem in the sense that I can dial OUT but nothing can dial IN
      Plug a phone (and then a second one if you have one to eliminate the first) into your test socket if you have one and try again.
      That will eliminate your internal wiring/setup.
      If you don't have a test socket unplug everything apart from the phone and try.
      If it's still not working properly contact your phone service provider as timc says.

If it is you have an internal fault.
      Initially try a new microfilter.

Andy

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

There were some problems with Broadband in Weston-Super-Mare yesterday.

South West Area WESTON-SUPER-MARE and BURNHAM-ON-SEA Exchanges

The problem appears to have been resolved now. It might be worth calling Sky to see if someone can reconfigure your line correctly.

It may require a few phone calls before you find someone who is able to correctly do this for you.

Please post your stats when all has been done so that others can comment & confirm that your line has been set up for it's optimal speed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried rebooting your router. Do this by switching off the power for a minute then switch on again. Check if your stats have changed. If they don't you will have to call Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Okay, thanks for your replies everyone =)

I have a friend calling up on my behalf now, as I am hard of hearing and struggle on the phone. (hence why I asked a forum first, heh)

He will be asking if there is anything they know what is wrong, as unfortunately, there is no-one I know who can spare another land-line phone for me to test, but since all 5 of my DSL filters forsee the same problem, I can't see all 5 filters being faulty.

Plugging the phone direct into the socket also does not resolve the dial in issue.

A router reset (50 sec) also does not seem to fix the issue on the speed either.

Will let you know later how he all got on, thanks again all.

Thanks

Sorry for the inconvenient suggestion (i.e. telephoning Sky). Some people swear by emails. There is a contact page which can be used on the Sky website.

With both contact methods there are issues with getting a suitable response at times.

Contact Us | Sky Customer Support

There are occasions where we do have to pass a query over to Sky as we cannot alter your connection settings. However leading up to this there is often a huge amount that members can help with.

This is an occasion where it appears that you have already done some things, but you are now at the stage where contact with Sky is essential.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Personally I think it's nothing to do with Sky , unless your line rental is with them.

Any landline fault line nobody being able to dial in is the line providers problem.

I have heard/read that a break in one of the 2 wires incoming has caused problems very similar to this - primarily the sudden drop off in speed.

Thanks

Thanks for the email contact, if I did use that, roughly how long do they take to respond?

Anyhow back to the phone call: The guy could see a problem with my line, he could see that it has been set to 13mb down and could see all I was getting was 4mb. They then said that they will call back tomorrow to see what can be done, will they even call back tomorrow?

My line rental is handled with Sky so I am correct in phoning them.

Will provide more insight tomorrow if they do call back, thanks again =)

Thanks

Thanks for the email contact, if I did use that, roughly how long do they take to respond?
      Typically within a couple of days. I personally can't be more specific than that, those who have used the service may be more helpful here though.

Anyhow back to the phone call: The guy could see a problem with my line, he could see that it has been set to 13mb down and could see all I was getting was 4mb. They then said that they will call back tomorrow to see what can be done, will they even call back tomorrow?
      This is better. However if he could have correctly identified the fault he might have been either able to resolve it or book an appointment for BTO to visit you.

The first line of support are a mixed bunch. There are a minority who do let the rest down and these one don't call back.

You call will have been logged and the person's name associated with it. If you do not receive a call back, start creating a little stink.

My line rental is handled with Sky so I am correct in phoning them.
      Spot on!

Will provide more insight tomorrow if they do call back, thanks again =)

No problem. I am hoping that it is something simple and associated with the issue in Weston over the weekend.

If it was a case of copper theft, then hopefully some ratbag has bought it as he tried cutting through the high voltage cable. (search 'Theft of Copper' on this forum)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast