Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed

This is a discussion on Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Here is a copy of my post on the Sky Help Forum. I have had sky unlimited broadband for 3 ...

b0dyr0ck2006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01293
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed

Here is a copy of my post on the Sky Help Forum.

I have had sky unlimited broadband for 3 1/2 years running a constant 12mb, this wasnt faultless as I get random disconnects throughtout the day irrespective of time of day or day of the week.

I recently switched my line rental to Sky as well so I now have TV, Broadband, Calls and line through Sky. In doing so I have been changed to SVBN and as a result my connection has dropped from 12mb to 3mb. This is unacceptable, even VOD is no longer an enjoyable experience and if two family members are online at the same time the loads times are terrible.

So I have followed Sky's basic troubleshooting tips to no avail, I have called Sky and followed their basic troubleshooting, to no avail. I only have one line in the house that is a master/test socket, plugging into that provides no difference to my results at all.

I have no extensions, the router is plugged direct to the test socket (currently for testing) via a Sky supplied microfilter.

MySky informs me that after the switch to SVBN they tested the line and it can only support 4mb, funny as it used to say 16mb when I was getting 12mb.

Recenlty BT upgraded all the lines from the exchange to the green boxes to fibre-optic so the only copper wire left is from that to my house, this distance is no more than 50 meters. I am 0.6km from the exchange, 2.5km by road.

I have one pc connected via ethernet and a laptop connected by wifi.

My last call to Sky I explained the above to the CSR and they ran a few tests on my line and confirmed my line could only take 4mb and could only ever taken 4mb (rubbish)

I asked to be put back to the old equipment and not Sky's own and was told that wasnt possible and everybody will be switched soon

The CSR confirmed that there wasnt any faults on my line and that the new profiling on the new exchange hardware was probably set up wrong

The CSR also said there was nothing Sky could do and I should be happy I have 4mb!! (are you having a laugh?!)

Since that call my speed has dropped down to 3mb. Sky have basically admitted that they dont know how to setup their new exchange equipment properly.

The random disconnects are unacceptable and need to be fixed asap - broadband is an always on technology and there is nothing my end that is causing this

The massive drop in speed is also unacceptable and needs to be resolved asap - I'm not expecting 20mb but at least give me my 12mb back that was proven to work for 3 1/2 years

Here are my stats:

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Any advice?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed

Reading the thread on the Sky Forum, it appears that Garry has been advising you.

I would suggest that you call sky a few more times. Sometimes you can get through to people who know nothing about changing your connection speed and they just fob people off.

These individuals won't have any access to the section that allows them to change your connection speed as well.

Keep calling until you can get someone who can increase your connection speed and reduce your noise margins.

Sky has a target noise margin of 7dB for both the upload & download connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The kind chap at sky has escalated my case to the fabled tier two..........oh feels like a computer game and I've found a hidden level

Thanks

Don't forget to look out for those hidden bonus points.

If you find the bunch of bananas you can give the management their pay.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Umpteen phone calls later and have got my snr dropped to 7 my atten is down to 38 now and my speed is up to 5657.

Not the 12mb I had but getting better. Sky sent me a replacement router (d-link 2640s) hasn't made any difference, the engineer that came could find any faults. I'm fed up with calling sky and complaining, politely. I speak to helpful staff (for a change) but nothing seems to improve.

What next?

Thanks

Your connection speed has dropped for some reason.

DLM will have likely picked up a significant number of errors on your telephone line.

Touching some basics with you, especially with the current weather, could you plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket please? Dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise, hiss or crackling.

If there is any noise, then you have a line fault and should call your line provider (i.e. whom you pay your line rental to). Do not mention the broadband if you are not with Sky Talk.

If there is no noise, then call Sky again, explain what has happened and ask to speak to someone who can see the full connection details on your line. They will be able to tell what kind of errors are present and if required, they can get BTO out to fix your line.

Thanks

Both Sky and the BTO Enigneer checked and confirmed zero errors on my line. My line is clear from crackles etc. My line rental is Sky.

Thanks

my current stats
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed-stats.jpg  

Thanks

Nice standard reply above scubbie. As you can see this has been going on for a while, regardless of the weather.

I've been sent a new router to try and sort these issues but to no avail and after my last chat with tier two DLM was switched to manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast