Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed

This is a discussion on Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by b0dyr0ck2006 Recenlty BT upgraded all the lines from the exchange to the green boxes to fibre-optic so ...

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed

Quote Originally Posted by b0dyr0ck2006 View Post
      Recenlty BT upgraded all the lines from the exchange to the green boxes to fibre-optic so the only copper wire left is from that to my house, this distance is no more than 50 meters. I am 0.6km from the exchange, 2.5km by road.
      That is only for BT Infinity Fibre To The Cabinet.
      As you are on ADSL you are on copper all the way back to the exchange.

Rather than conspiracy theories about BT Openreach dropping speed when fibre has been installed you have changed to the SVBN.

There have been many postings on here over the years of people changing to the SVBN and losing speed (admittedly not as much as you) long before fibre was thought about.

For this and many other reasons I would never go for full unbundling keeping my line rental with BT.

I suspect the only way you will get back your speed is to go back to BT for your line rental (and even then it might not happen).

Andy

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sorry if it was a 'standard reply' . I just like to make sure that all the 't's are crossed and the 'i's dotted.

The weather will be significant for some people at the moment as trees will be rubbing against a lot of telephone lines across the country. If the line has been broken by such action, then it will be more obvious during this period.

As Andy has mentioned, the new installation should not have interfered with your connection, but quite a few members have come to similar conclusions.

It has recently come to light that BTO are replacing stolen copper lines with thinner copper cable. This has a detrimental effect on ADSL signals and consequently those affected have experienced a drop in signal.

I am wondering if your cable has been replaced, either as a preventative measure or to make room for the Fibre.

The potential speed indicator on this forum shows that you should expect between 9 and 10Mb on your connection.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

I would love to know what reasons both Sky & BTO can provide for having only 2/3rds of your potential speed. I would also love to know if any changes have been made to the cable you are connected to.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

b0dyr0ck2006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01293
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

No educated advice other than that then?

Thanks

sorry your replies hadnt shown up. Yes it would be interesting to know what is up and whether bt have actually installed thinner cables

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It has recently come to light that BTO are replacing stolen copper lines with thinner copper cable. This has a detrimental effect on ADSL signals and consequently those affected have experienced a drop in signal.
      Could you point me to where this has been reported?

Thanks

Andy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      Could you point me to where this has been reported?

Thanks

Andy
      By reports from members of this forum.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

One such article (a quick Google brings up a lot)

BT say they don’t downgrade stolen copper cable

It doesn't say BT ARE using thinner copper but it does have claims that they are
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (14-09-11)

Thanks

If this is truly the case then BT are knowingly supplying a poorer quality cable therefore providing a poorer service with I'm sure there is a case for.

And if it is to try to force customers to switch to BT Infinity then that really is unlawful practice.

Rumours are one thing citation is another. Careful what you quote, people look to you for educated advice.

So that said, is there real evidence if this? If so then I can take it further. If not then in still no closer to understanding why my connection has dropped by 6+ mb

Thanks

Just rebooted the rooter as the SNR was down to 4:
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky SVBN - Disconnects - Slow Speed-speed.jpg  

Thanks

Due to the sensitivity and nature of their work, all BTO employees working on the telephone lines will have signed the Official Secrets Act.

It is very unlikely that any will confirm or deny the status of the wiring being used.

However theft of the cables has grown to epidemic proportions. If you take a look at the Sky Broadband Service Status section of this forum you will see the history of areas with faults. Many will be directly related to the theft of cable.

Knowing very little about how the fibre optic installation is completed, I can't say 100% what is happening. I would sincerely hope that specific issues were actually considered before any of the work commenced, but it would be hard to say with any certainty.

It is important to realise that new electrical cables need to be routed to the new Green Street Cabinets. These could lead to some interference if not correctly completed.

If there is an old break in the telephone line between the exchange and your cabinet, it is possible that this could have been aggravated when all the new cable was installed.

As previously mentioned, you are not the only person who has experienced a drop in their signal speed.

Provided that you have completed all the basic checks (i.e. replaced the microfilter, using the test socket, ensured that there is no noise on the line, tried a different new router) and checked for any poorly wired BT Junction box, then you should be able to telephone Sky and ask them to check the configuration of your line.

If they are unable to improve things to what you had previously, then it means that something new has happened to reduce your connection speed.

Sure it is partially speculation, but then we are talking about identifying the potential cause.

One specific cause that could be causing issues is REIN. This tends to show a specific time pattern. By all means read up about it. i would also suggest that you use a portable radio and take a walk to see if this is the cause.

::. Kitz - REIN .::

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12