Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky Connection

This is a discussion on Sky Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've been having some problems recently as every time I use the phone the internet disconnects. Also, its VERY ...

Swift is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Connection Issues

Hi, I've been having some problems recently as every time I use the phone the internet disconnects. Also, its VERY slow at times and randomly disconnects itself. I have plugged the micro filter directly into the test socket with the phone line and the grey wire and still having these problems. The Sky advisor told me the line passed the test and they will send an engineer over to have a look.

Here are my router stats.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

PS: My package is Sky Unlimited

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Connection

You have a very serious problem somewhere. You should be syncing at around 14-15Mb. All you can do is wait till the phone engineer comes and see if he manages to sort it out.

If you have another router you might want to try that, just in case the router is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You have a very serious problem somewhere. You should be syncing at around 14-15Mb. All you can do is wait till the phone engineer comes and see if he manages to sort it out.

If you have another router you might want to try that, just in case the router is faulty.
      What do you mean by serious? Could it be an external problem, like the wiring outside, maybe caused by the weather?

I haven't got a spare router so I can't try that.

Thanks

I mean you have a serious problem when you are connecting at under 3Mb when you should be connecting at around 14-15Mb. This can be caused by an external line fault or a faulty router. (It can also be caused by internal line faults, but as you are connecting to the Test socket, this should not be so.)

Just to check, when you have removed the faceplate from the master socket are all your other sockets without dial tone?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I mean you have a serious problem when you are connecting at under 3Mb when you should be connecting at around 14-15Mb. This can be caused by an external line fault or a faulty router. (It can also be caused by internal line faults, but as you are connecting to the Test socket, this should not be so.)

Just to check, when you have removed the faceplate from the master socket are all your other sockets without dial tone?
      I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean when I remove the faceplate and connect the phone line, do I get the dial tone? If so, then yes.

Thanks

How many sockets do you have apart from the Master socket? If you have any, check they have no dial tone with the faceplate removed. If you don't have any other sockets, the problem is on your main line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

How many sockets do you have apart from the Master socket? If you have any, check they have no dial tone with the faceplate removed. If you don't have any other sockets, the problem is on your main line.
      I only have the master socket so I think the problem is the main line. Sometimes I also get a crackling noise when i use the phone. I've changed the micro filter and I still get it

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

In this case Swift, you need to call your line provider and ask them to repair your line.

If you are not with Sky Talk, don't mention the broadband issues as this will confuse things. The Line Provider is responsible for the quality of the telephone line and this should provide a clear connection at all times.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In this case Swift, you need to call your line provider and ask them to repair your line.

If you are not with Sky Talk, don't mention the broadband issues as this will confuse things. The Line Provider is responsible for the quality of the telephone line and this should provide a clear connection at all times.
      Well i'm with Sky Talk so i have the line with them.

Also, the BT engineer came around today and checked everything and said that the line was fine, and suggested to us that we should replace our router. I doubt there is something wrong with the router, but insisted that he had done all the tests and he couldn't find anything wrong.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I really do wish that some BTO Engineers would learn a little about noisy lines. Routers do not cause noise for telephones. A poor quality microfilter would allow the ADSL noise to creep through into the voice line, but this is not what you described.

You mentioned that your line occasionally makes a crackling noise. This indicates to me that you have a broken line. An old microfilter or one that was no longer up to the job would allow you to hear a noise similar to the old dial-up modems or fax machines.

To confirm a faulty line, plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket, without anything else connected. Double check that any extensions are dead. Then dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise.

If you have overhead telephone cables, any the noise is more frequent during a windy period, then the problem is likely to be caused by a tree or something else hitting your telephone line.

Any qualified BTO Engineer should be able to identify this.

Underground cables can also have problems, but they can be harder to identify. A good example would be some roots that have grown close to the line. In bad weather the tree could move and thus the roots move with the tree. This is less likely though. It is more common for a permanent problem to occur with underground cables or one that is affected by wet weather.

P.S. Having your line with Sky Talk in this case makes things a lot simpler for you. All too often companies can get into a squabble over who is responsible for what.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Swift (26-08-11)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast