Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Connection

This is a discussion on Sky Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Your stats now show your line is heavily capped. First try rebooting your router by switching the power off then ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Connection

Your stats now show your line is heavily capped. First try rebooting your router by switching the power off then on again after a minute. If your speed does not increase substantially, call Sky and ask them to configure your connection as it has been capped due to problems which are now fixed.

There is a chance that the morning noise on your line is causing the router to resync and connect at a lower speed. You can check this by downloading and running Router Stats lite from here - Internet Software Remember you will have to leave your PC running to get a full report covering overnight and early morning.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Swift (14-09-11)

3. Advertisement
      Swift is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your stats now show your line is heavily capped. First try rebooting your router by switching the power off then on again after a minute. If your speed does not increase substantially, call Sky and ask them to configure your connection as it has been capped due to problems which are now fixed.

There is a chance that the morning noise on your line is causing the router to resync and connect at a lower speed. You can check this by downloading and running Router Stats lite from here - Internet Software Remember you will have to leave your PC running to get a full report covering overnight and early morning.
      Thanks for the reply. Do you mind telling me how you can tell that my line is capped, I would like to know how you can find out from just reading the stats.

Also, do you think I should wait until the BT engineer has come and checked the problem out before I call Sky and tell them that its capped, maybe he could fix the fault there and then, if not I would just give Sky a call.

craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

You can normally tell by the noise margin mate. Sky tends to keep you around the 7db mark for the downstream and upstream and yours is 28db!!! so there is plenty of room for improvement. Like everyone says best bet is to keep calling sky until you get someone that understands what you want can take a few tries but you will get there in the end. You could always just ask them to put DLM on your line and let it do its thing over the coming days

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      You can normally tell by the noise margin mate. Sky tends to keep you around the 7db mark for the downstream and upstream and yours is 28db!!! so there is plenty of room for improvement. Like everyone says best bet is to keep calling sky until you get someone that understands what you want can take a few tries but you will get there in the end. You could always just ask them to put DLM on your line and let it do its thing over the coming days
      Here are my router stats now:

System Up Time: 0:38:38
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 15676 18841 0 2730423 17245924 0:37:15
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:38:38
      WLAN Up 41145 36315 0 36181539 5115053 0:38:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 409 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 16.9 dB
      Noise Margin 5.3 dB 16.0 dB

As you can see the noise margin has gone down to 5.3dB. I don't know why its fluctuating like that, it might be because I took that first stat when I just started my router so maybe thats why it was so high.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking again at your stats I see you have only been up for a couple of minutes, in which case rebooting would probably not help. Your line has been capped either by Sky trying to stabilise the line or by DLM. DLM is supposed to return your speed when your line is stable, but I have yet to see anyone reporting that this happened, hence the need to call Sky. I think you should call Sky before the engineer visits as if the speed is raised then drops down again, it will confirm that there is a problem with your line..

EDIT- The forgoing was not in answer to the previous post, which crossed with mine. It looks like you are back to having a serious line problem and there is not much you can do until your line is fixed. Don't bother phoning Sky as they will be able to do nothing for you. The very high noise margin you had confirms that your line should be capable of 14-15Mb when it is fixed..
      Last edited by Isitme; 07-09-11 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added info

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Looking again at your stats I see you have only been up for a couple of minutes, in which case rebooting would probably not help. Your line has been capped either by Sky trying to stabilise the line or by DLM. DLM is supposed to return your speed when your line is stable, but I have yet to see anyone reporting that this happened, hence the need to call Sky. I think you should call Sky before the engineer visits as if the speed is raised then drops down again, it will confirm that there is a problem with your line..

EDIT- The forgoing was not in answer to the previous post, which crossed with mine. It looks like you are back to having a serious line problem and there is not much you can do until your line is fixed. Don't bother phoning Sky as they will be able to do nothing for you. The very high noise margin you had confirms that your line should be capable of 14-15Mb when it is fixed..
      Haha, I was just about to call them up, until I saw your edit. Yh, I'll guess i'll have to wait for the engineer to come on Friday then. Lets hope he can see the problem then, I won't let him leave till he fixes it this time

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey Guys, finally the BT engineer has fixed the telephone line and I can't hear the crackling noise anymore, at least for now!

BUT, my internet speed shows that it is very slow, what should I tell Sky to do about my speed, and if they don't understand, should I be asked to get transferred to Tier 2 or whatever the next level is??

Here are my stats:
      System Up Time: 6:11:29
      WAN PPPoA 35207 63866 0 4523367 77222068 2:43:42
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 6:11:29
      WLAN Up 95221 64854 0 95856386 11780637 6:11:10
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 409 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 14.6 dB
      Noise Margin 34.2 dB 26.0 dB

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
      Hey Guys, finally the BT engineer has fixed the telephone line and I can't hear the crackling noise anymore, at least for now!
      Nice to see that things may have been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
      BUT, my internet speed shows that it is very slow, what should I tell Sky to do about my speed, and if they don't understand, should I be asked to get transferred to Tier 2 or whatever the next level is??
      Yep, give Sky's support a call and say that BT has been to repair your line and ask if someone can reconfigure it as it is severally capped at present.

You may need to call a few times in order to get someone who knows what they are doing/ The first line of support (or a supervisor or manager) should be able to reconfigure it for you. If they can't then someone in CST should be able to.

Please post your stats once this has been done so that we can see what your final results are.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Look at post below
      Last edited by Swift; 09-09-11 at 11:33 PM. Reason: repost

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Nice to see that things may have been resolved.

Yep, give Sky's support a call and say that BT has been to repair your line and ask if someone can reconfigure it as it is severally capped at present.

You may need to call a few times in order to get someone who knows what they are doing/ The first line of support (or a supervisor or manager) should be able to reconfigure it for you. If they can't then someone in CST should be able to.

Please post your stats once this has been done so that we can see what your final results are.
      Gave them a call and he said my line was capable of at least 18mb, so he said he will increase the speed. Looked at the speed again and here are the stats:

System Up Time: 2:19:25
      WAN PPPoA 43683 147800 0 3576017 209975694 2:18:01
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 2:19:25
      WLAN Up 151084 45923 0 213669095 4444216 2:19:06
      Connection Speed 7527 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 14.5 dB
      Noise Margin 23.4 dB 26.5 dB

I asked him why it was still low, he said it will take 24 hours to get up to speed. Don't know if thats true but i'll wait and see, if not, i'll call them up tomorrow.

What are the stats showing now, the noise seems to be pretty high

Also got credited a months worth of Talk, Broadband and line rental.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast