Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Connection

This is a discussion on Sky Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You may have to report the problem to the Sky broadband help. The talk side is likely to send out ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Connection

You may have to report the problem to the Sky broadband help. The talk side is likely to send out an ordinary engineer, who is likely to say the line is OK as long as it passes the voice tests. A broadband engineer will look deeper into the problem. Sky may offer to replace your router, if they do just accept it and if it does not cure the problem, it can then be pursued further.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Swift is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I really do wish that some BTO Engineers would learn a little about noisy lines. Routers do not cause noise for telephones. A poor quality microfilter would allow the ADSL noise to creep through into the voice line, but this is not what you described.

You mentioned that your line occasionally makes a crackling noise. This indicates to me that you have a broken line. An old microfilter or one that was no longer up to the job would allow you to hear a noise similar to the old dial-up modems or fax machines.

To confirm a faulty line, plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket, without anything else connected. Double check that any extensions are dead. Then dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise.

If you have overhead telephone cables, any the noise is more frequent during a windy period, then the problem is likely to be caused by a tree or something else hitting your telephone line.

Any qualified BTO Engineer should be able to identify this.

Underground cables can also have problems, but they can be harder to identify. A good example would be some roots that have grown close to the line. In bad weather the tree could move and thus the roots move with the tree. This is less likely though. It is more common for a permanent problem to occur with underground cables or one that is affected by wet weather.

P.S. Having your line with Sky Talk in this case makes things a lot simpler for you. All too often companies can get into a squabble over who is responsible for what.
      Thanks for posting that, useful information for me to know so that I can bring it up with the engineer if he comes again. What do you suggest I do now, Sky said it will take 3-5 days for a new router to come and I don't think I can do anything till then.

I'm gonna be stuck with a shoddy internet conecction till then

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You may have to report the problem to the Sky broadband help. The talk side is likely to send out an ordinary engineer, who is likely to say the line is OK as long as it passes the voice tests. A broadband engineer will look deeper into the problem. Sky may offer to replace your router, if they do just accept it and if it does not cure the problem, it can then be pursued further.
      I'll wait till the new Sky router comes and then call them up again and tell them to send a broadband engineer.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If you get any more noise, take a look outside and see if there is anything potentially causing a problem with your telephone line. It will be between your home and the green street box.

If you can gather evidence and show what is actually happening then it makes the work of any BTO Engineer easier.

An important issue though, whilst the BTO Engineer can replace the telephone cable, he/she won't be responsible for any trees blowing against the line. You would need to find out who is responsible and contact them.

In the mean time I hope that things don't play up for you. in practise a replacement router will take around 2-3 working days, but there is the Bank Holiday weekend to take into account. It should be with you by Wednesday.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Swift (30-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you get any more noise, take a look outside and see if there is anything potentially causing a problem with your telephone line. It will be between your home and the green street box.

If you can gather evidence and show what is actually happening then it makes the work of any BTO Engineer easier.

An important issue though, whilst the BTO Engineer can replace the telephone cable, he/she won't be responsible for any trees blowing against the line. You would need to find out who is responsible and contact them.

In the mean time I hope that things don't play up for you. in practise a replacement router will take around 2-3 working days, but there is the Bank Holiday weekend to take into account. It should be with you by Wednesday.
      Thanks, i'll give you an update later this week if anything happens.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apparently router might come tomorrow after ordering on the 26th, and i'm furious. The worst thing is that i doubt the problem will be fixed by replacing the router anyway. Do you guys think I can get a free Sky+HD box out of all of this, don't want the subcription though, I am with a dodgy internet connection for nearly a month now!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I doubt if you will get a free HD box out of it as a ddogy broadband connection has nothing to do with the TV side, but I suppose you can ask.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey guys, i've finally got the new router today and here are my stats.

System Up Time: 0:04:01
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 409 419 0 28093 229496 0:02:18
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:04:01
      WLAN Up 1113 1029 0 825718 112781 0:03:44
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 17.0 dB
      Noise Margin 28.6 dB 26.5 dB

Speed looks like its still slow and i've also noticed another problem. For the past few days in the morning the phone either has no dial tone or it makes this loud crackling sound, i hadn't noticed this before but that may be because no one really uses the phone early in the morning. It goes back to normal after a while but there is still a faint crackling noise.

What should I tell sky, should I tell them to get an engineer around again or ask for a broadband engineer?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I would certainly give Sky a call if you are paying them your line rental.

You definitely have a line fault if you can here all that noise.

Before you do though, I'd better ask, check that the noise is still present if you use a corded telephone in the Test Socket. It is possible that your internal wiring could create the noise if it is faulty.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would certainly give Sky a call if you are paying them your line rental.

You definitely have a line fault if you can here all that noise.

Before you do though, I'd better ask, check that the noise is still present if you use a corded telephone in the Test Socket. It is possible that your internal wiring could create the noise if it is faulty.
      I've tested the noise on THREE phones and I can here it on all of them.

Just got off the phone to them and it wasn't until the third guy I spoke to that they said they would send an engineer out. The first 2 said that they can only send a report to BT and then they would contact me after 48-72 hours and I was having none of that, so got transferred to someone in the UK finally and he said he would send out an engineer on Fri.

Hopefully this engineer is better than the one I had last time who said the router was causing it . I'll ask him to check the wires outside the flat, because i'm certain now that its the cause, I can't see it being inside the house.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast