Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Estimate Broadband Speeds Accurate

This is a discussion on Estimate Broadband Speeds Accurate within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am moving house in 2 weeks and I want to get sky broadband as I have heard good ...

jaded is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Estimated Broadband Speeds Accurate?

Hi

I am moving house in 2 weeks and I want to get sky broadband as I have heard good things and already have the TV package.

When looking at the speed estimator on the Sky website it is estimating a speed of 2-5 Mbps. Is there anyway of telling how accurate this is? The house is approx 4 km from the exchange. Out of interest I also ran a check on a house a couple doors down and it estimated 12.9Mbps - 19.0Mbps! Is it a safe bet to assume that I would also achieve this speed? why would it be so different?

I am very wary of proceeding as I use the Internet a lot for work, so would like a fairly fast connection, and I have read several comments that sky often under-estimate the line speeds.

Can anyone put my mind at ease? I can also get Virgin BB in the area, so may be a safer bet, but Sky is obviously cheaper and has Anytime +

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Estimate Broadband Speeds Accurate

Go here and click 'address checker' towards the bottom. Input your address and then copy paste the results you get in this thread.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 27.7 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.8 Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If your house is 4K from the exchange you will not get anything like 19Mb, unless it is a fibre connection. Addresses are not much use for speed estimates, the telephone number is more accurate. Put the number and post code into the boxes here and it will show how far you are from the exchange and BT speeds, which can be used as a guide.
      SkyUser - Sky Broadband Availability and Exchange Checker

Looks like it is
      Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 27.7 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.8 Mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaded View Post
      Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
      The reason I asked you to use address checker is because I thought you wouldn't know of a telephone number yet. Generally the address checker over estimates your connection and even that is poor for you so the actual speeds will be even more poor.

Go for Virgin. You will get at least 10Mb if you take the most basic broadband package. No chance of those kind of speeds on ADSL for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks mate. I dont have a phone number for the new house yet, was intending to get phone with sky too. I guess I can only do an address search right now. Just wondered why the neighbours get a better speed estimate.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah looks like virgin is a safer bet. Thanks for the advice.