Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues

This is a discussion on Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had the weirdest experience, I have no idea what has happened but... has sky changed something on their ...

EmmieShadow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues

I have had the weirdest experience, I have no idea what has happened but... has sky changed something on their routers?

I am sorry I cannot give a specific date i been making do with laptop on wireless (awful range) and two devolo plugs (for my sons pc). None of my solwise homeplugs (x2) work anymore or my vesenet ones (x2). The only plugs which work with the sky router now is the devolo set and worst thing is it wont plug and play like the others, it has to be accepting connections via the software program (so I can no longer use skyhd+ anytime or my xbox360 live since I used a plug and play homeplug network) never had a problem in all these years and suddenly it says no other powerline models connected. I tried swapping them all around and nothing helps.

It might be a fluke maybe all 3 of my network plugs died and no longer function? (i use a surge protection plug on all my electronics)

I haven't even tried phoning sky since their usual response is im sorry we do not recommend using those, or we dont know anything about those, they will only discuss sky equipment and that was the last time I mentioned I use a homeplug network.

Anyone else with Solwise PL-85PE or VeseNet PLA-85-3E which stopped plug/playing?
      Manufacturer: Sky
      Model: SR101
      Firmware Version: 3.50.2116.R
      DSL Firmware Version: A2pD039f.d24m
      Date today: 07/10/2017

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues

(i use a surge protection plug on all my electronics)
      You should not be using surge protectors with homeplugs, if you are remove them and plug straight into the power socket..

The homeplugs are part of your home network and the router has little to do with how they work, assuming of course that the port in the router is working OK. Have you tried connecting them to a different port, to check whether a port is faulty?

Phone chargers can cause problems with homeplugs, do you have any of these plugged in?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

In addition to the above , having you actually tested that the home plugs connect to each other? On my Netgear ones the status lights indicate that they are talking to each other.

I'd take 2 sockets close to each other , maybe a double , plug them in & watch the lights.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I meant to add, have a look over at the Solwise forum, they have a pretty active section dealing with homeplug issues.
      Powerline/Home Plug Devices

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for replies, I mentioned the surge plugs as I have never had a problem I realize they say not to use surge plugs as they could cause connection issues but never had a problem in the 5+ years of using them. But yes I have tried in main sockets in the wall not in the surge plugs.
      I only posted today as I am just getting more frustrated as I cannot use xbox360 gaming online or the sky anytime+ until I get this resolved, or resort to purchasing another new set. The thing I was mentioning is that the plug and play doesn't work, it requires software on the devolo ones (never used to) and well the other ones I have solwise and vesenet used to work and always been plugged in same places in home not been moved recently or anything just ceased to recognize being on network within my home.

As for the mobile phone chargers I didn't know that, but no we plug in as we need to charge mobiles.

Thanks

Anyone with the models I stated in first post with any issues from normal plug and play?

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Have you tried my suggestion of checking that they can actually talk to each other?

I'd suspect that you have an internal mains wiring issue as all homeplugs should be Plug & Play. Your Develo ones don't work properly & the other sets have failed to work.

Thanks

House got rewired in 2003, I will however have a go at flicking all the switches tomorrow on the RCD board and resetting all manually. Never know it might be the cause. Will reply again after I check again tomorrow bit late now. *crosses fingers*

Thanks

Update: nothing helped to get those homeplugs functioning again. I will have to assume they all died at same time even tried in friends home. I am just baffled how they came to die at same time to become malfunctioning?.

So now I am using a old Netgear WGE111 I used to use with playstation2, with my sky+HD box and unplug it and put in xbox360 cable when I go online with that instead. Not too much hastle but still upsetting.

I also bought dynamode

I just cannot get my head around setting up the wireless bridge settings on it. So many acronyms which make no sense to me even when doing a google/wiki look up lol. So if anyone is able to enlighten me how to get that router to bridge to my sky router would be most appreciative!.
      Last edited by EmmieShadow; 08-09-11 at 02:26 PM. Reason: URL

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Go back to your HomePlugs and try what was suggested sometime ago - take a matched pair and plug them in adjacent sockets so that the mains wiring isn't involved. Now will they work? Then try another matched pair in exactly the same way - do these work? Try all the matched pairs. If they all fail then I'd suggest the problem is elsewhere on your network (things like voltage surges can be eliminated because you were using surge protection so the Homeplugs shouldn't have suffered physical damage). Using adjacent sockets means the Homeplugs are directly connected to each other and eliminates the household wiring so isolating any problems you make have there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast