Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues

This is a discussion on Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dms05 Go back to your HomePlugs and try what was suggested sometime ago - take a matched ...

EmmieShadow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Go back to your HomePlugs and try what was suggested sometime ago - take a matched pair and plug them in adjacent sockets so that the mains wiring isn't involved. Now will they work? Then try another matched pair in exactly the same way - do these work? Try all the matched pairs. If they all fail then I'd suggest the problem is elsewhere on your network (things like voltage surges can be eliminated because you were using surge protection so the Homeplugs shouldn't have suffered physical damage). Using adjacent sockets means the Homeplugs are directly connected to each other and eliminates the household wiring so isolating any problems you make have there.
      Yes I did try next to each other in the twin sockets in different rooms to make sure wasnt a faulty socket. I even tried mixing rooms one in hallway one in lounge etc. It just wont light up the PL light as if it wont detect the homeplug network is available. Its really strange. I dont want to end up paying for more homeplugs to find plug and play not working again. devolo wont work plug and play anymore without the software so its working okay on my sons pc but wont work with xbox or sky+hdbox just says same no PL network light.
      Manufacturer: Sky
      Model: SR101
      Firmware Version: 3.50.2116.R
      DSL Firmware Version: A2pD039f.d24m
      Date today: 07/10/2017

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So now I am using a old Netgear WGE111 I used to use with playstation2, with my sky+HD box and unplug it and put in xbox360 cable when I go online with that instead. Not too much hastle but still upsetting.
      Is it possible to connect a switch to the ethernet port and plug your devices into that. This one is pretty cheap and would be no great loss if it did not work. [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_2]TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case: Mcab: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]
      It could also be connected to a homeplug to increase your options.

The Dynamode would have to be put into wireless 'Bridging mode', with its IP changed to one in the range of the Sky router. 192.168.0.254 would do, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1. Turn off the DHCP server to avoid conflicts. Disable the security on both routers till you get it working.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

EmmieShadow (12-09-11)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EmmieShadow View Post
      Yes I did try next to each other in the twin sockets in different rooms to make sure wasnt a faulty socket. I even tried mixing rooms one in hallway one in lounge etc. It just wont light up the PL light as if it wont detect the homeplug network is available. Its really strange. I dont want to end up paying for more homeplugs to find plug and play not working again. devolo wont work plug and play anymore without the software so its working okay on my sons pc but wont work with xbox or sky+hdbox just says same no PL network light.
      Did you try all the different pairs of Homeplugs you seem to own?

Homeplugs work without any software. They are independent of the computer and independent of the router. They simply send the network signal over the house 240v mains wiring. I have mine sending from my Sky router to my Sky HD+ for Anytime+ without any computer or software involvement.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There is some software to manage Devolo units but it's optional to use. I'm just wondering if the OP has, whilst using this software, accidentally set an encryption password on one of the Devolo units and either not propogated this to the other Devolo unit(s) or it has somehow interfered with the non-Devolo unit(s)?

If the OP has not already tried, I would start with a factory reset of each unit and then install everything all over again.

No idea why they should all suddenly stop working though!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

7. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

EmmieShadow (12-09-11)

Thanks

Question Re: Homeplug (powerline) network on sky... Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is it possible to connect a switch to the ethernet port and plug your devices into that. This one is pretty cheap and would be no great loss if it did not work. TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case: Mcab: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      It could also be connected to a homeplug to increase your options.

The Dynamode would have to be put into wireless 'Bridging mode', with its IP changed to one in the range of the Sky router. 192.168.0.254 would do, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1. Turn off the DHCP server to avoid conflicts. Disable the security on both routers till you get it working.
      I will have another go at it there are so many options on the router and I am not very techie when it comes to understanding all the acronyms on the advanced pages where this bridging mode resides. Does Access point have to be disabled or enabled? and how do I find the router to connect to? as it doesn't popup a list or anything to show it can find the router. Dont want it to connect to wrong one. (about 5 in my area when using inSSIDer) Was so much easier to use WGE111 and set it up and find router. This one I am really clueless about.

Thanks

Hmm cant get windows 7 to install the software for the solwise even with the admin rights. I had never set up via software ever before since it was always plug play fast easy to connect. As for resetting it seems you cannot unless you get software to do it. Would of been good if there was a reset button to press like with routers.

Devolo software wont detect the other plugs either only its own devolo type. Home Plug / PowerLine PL-85PE 85Mbps Ethernet Adapter tried there since it seems the intellon site no longer exists.

I know it sounds strange, I guess I should of asked this first, is it possible a neighbors homeplug network is encrypted and interfering with my homeplug network? I remember when I first had these devolo plugs and used software I saw their network and they saw mine, when they did search on the software for other powerline products connected. I would of thought neighbors electricity power would be separate... but apparently not? Unless I am really misunderstanding something here.
      (neighbor who did use the devolo products doesnt use powerline products any longer he is on wireless) but.... I have a building right next door to me owned by virgin media since about 2009 not sure exactly what it is inside but looks like twin houses from outside front, but tons of fans outside the back massive things which I can see from my upstairs bedroom window since they have 8ft fences around their property, although with it being new I guess it would be completely separate with all the new building regulations etc. My home is 1930s heh. The fans had not been working ever until this summer and more activity from the chaps who come into that building just these past months so.. just all coincidental maybe.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Does Access point have to be disabled or enabled? and how do I find the router to connect to? as it doesn't popup a list or anything to show it can find the router. Dont want it to connect to wrong one.
      If you mean on the Dynamode, then yes it has to be disabled. You should be able to choose between Access point and Bridging mode. I cannot locate a manual for this router so I am not able to give much advice. You should be able to recognise your own router by maying a note of its SSID, if you have not changed it, this is something like SKY1234. You may need to enter this manually into the Dynamode, possibly with the MAC address of the Sky router.

It is unusual but not impossible to pick up a neighbours homeplug network as the demarcation point is supposed to be the electricity meter.

but tons of fans outside the back massive things which I can see from my upstairs bedroom window
      There are not a lot of plants with pointed leaves inside are there? I am thinking it may be a 'pot' farm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12