Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sagem F@AST 2504n

This is a discussion on New Sagem F@AST 2504n within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Just bought a new Sagem F@ST2504n router from Sky to replace my original white Netgear which I think was ...

OldFourEyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Sagem F@AST 2504n

Hi

Just bought a new Sagem F@ST2504n router from Sky to replace my original white Netgear which I think was getting past its sell-by date. It's a neat little unit but I find the front display lights are too small and difficult to read unless close up. Maybe my eyes are also past their sell-by date.

The first difference I noticed is that the downstream connection reduced from 10252 kbps to 6083 kbps - the stats are below. Can I take it that this is because DLM has kicked in again? Upstream is the same as before.

The other thing is that the noise margin has increased to 20.3 dB - previously around 7 dB - which is quite a difference.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6083 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 dB 19.4 dB
      Noise Margin 20.3 dB 17.9 dB

These stats are not from the test socket because I don't have one. I live in a small block of flats and the single (as far as I know) BT line comes in centrally and is then distributed to the four apartments.

I don't want to start rebooting the unit in case DLM is working and, unfortunately, My Sky is out of action at the moment so I'll give a few days and see if the downstream speed get any better. Going by the noise margin I'm hoping it will.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New Sagem F@AST 2504n

Have you rebooted the new router since you connected it? If not you should do so. It is unlikely DLM has kicked in unless you were having bad problems with your previous router. You should get your old speed back and maybe a bit more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

OldFourEyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you rebooted the new router since you connected it? If not you should do so. It is unlikely DLM has kicked in unless you were having bad problems with your previous router. You should get your old speed back and maybe a bit more.
      Thanks for the reply. I've just rebooted and it's gone up tp 10235 which is around the same as the Netgear. I'll give Sky a shout during the week and see if they'll push it up a bit more.

Before Sky started using DLM I was getting between 12-14000 on the Netgear which was nice while it lasted - apart from the occasional dropped connection. I was quite happy to put up with that but such is "progress".

Thanks again for your help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'll give Sky a shout during the week and see if they'll push it up a bit more.
      It will depend a lot on your noise margin whether they can do this. If it is in double figures you should get a fair bit more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.